Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC problems.....keeps rebooting.....please help

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2009, 07:21 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PC problems.....keeps rebooting.....please help

Hi guys................

My pc has developed a problem on its own. For the last couple month or so it has got a habit of rebooting itself for no reason normally within 5 mins of starting it up. At first it would only restart once and then it would be ok all day. When the pc reboots it says it has recovered from a serious error. I had a quick look at the details and it said something about a blue screen error and its something to do with a hardware fault. Now I've not added any new hardware for a long time so I'm not sure what the problem is. A couple of times recently including tonight it has just frozen completely. I hit restart and it boots up ok but I'm worried it can only go on so long like this til I break a hard drive or something....
I really don't want to lose anything so some stuff has been backed up. I am planning to buy a whole new pc soon though but before then I'd like this one to survive as its quite a decent spec and has always been faultless.........Why do pcs only last 4-5 years before they go a bit crap??

Anyhow, I'm no expert and I can't remember exactly how to check for hardware faults and conflictions and all that. Just wondering what my first steps should be to try and fix it??

Would really appreciate any help please
Steve
Old 17 September 2009, 08:46 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Steve. Could be a few things. Harddrive has developed a faulty sector or 2 which is where the swap file could be. Or even one of your RAM modules has developed a fault. Or it could be simple as a new driver program you put on recently for a graphics card isn't playing ball properly. First things first try checking your RAM with some RAM checking software (VISTA has this built in), or do a search on google for some, and see if one of the RAM DImms is failling (this happened to me with random reboots and blue screens). Then If RAM is okay try running a Scnadisk on the Hard Drive to see if any erors crop up. Unfortunatley computer problems are never that simple to diagnose without looking around first.
Old 17 September 2009, 08:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Download and try this will test your memory at boot up its very good, if your memory is faulty it will find it!

Memtest86 - Download Page

It could also be your power supply or cpu, ensure all your fans are free of dust etc

Tony
Old 17 September 2009, 10:04 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Ok step 1-------- used this microsoft memory tester: Microsoft Online Crash Analysis
No problems

That memtest86 page just confuses me. What bit am I supposed to download?

Will try a scan disk now
Old 17 September 2009, 10:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The floppy disc package for windows (3rd one down) for memtest

Tony