Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can i upgrade to Windows 7 for free?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2009, 10:34 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i upgrade to Windows 7 for free?

One of my laptops is running Vista Home Premium. Did i read somewhere that you can upgrade to Windows 7 for free or have i missed the boat?
Old 14 September 2009, 10:38 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I don't think you could ever upgrade for free? Certain laptops (and desktops) sold in the last few months had a voucher to upgrade.

There was a deal last month for significantly reduced price, but that has gone now. I have on order Windows 7 Professional for £87 from Amazon (which is now £148).

Steve
Old 15 September 2009, 01:19 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Rose got a new Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium a couple of months ago and when I went to register it I noticed something on their site about how you could upgrade to Windows 7 for free if you had a qualifying machine. It seems her new laptop did qualify so I filled in the form and it's alleged I'll get it in october some time.

I've had a quick google and came up with this from Toms Hardware. It seems if you purchased a PC that came with Vista on or after July 1, 2009 to January 1, 2010 then you qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 7.

It seems that only Home Premium, Business and Ultimate are versions eligible for a free upgrade. You'd get a like for like, so Home Premium would go to the Windows 7 equiv, etc...
Old 15 September 2009, 08:51 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll completely aside to the free upgrade question.
I've been running windows 7 enterprise for a few weeks now and can't complain one bit.
I had vista installed for about 2 days and its rubbish so I decided to go down the windows 7 route.

We get it as part of our microsoft partnership program.

Very fast - ok its a fresh install etc, but its real quick and I haven't as yet had any software compatability issues
Old 15 September 2009, 09:40 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've had the RC1 of W7 for ages (as part of their preview programme). Like Urban says, Vista was rubbish and I reverted back to XP prior to installing W7 on a new drive.
Been very happy with W7, so much so I pre-ordered it. The first OS I've purchased!
However, 2 days ago when shutting down W7 installed some updates and yesterday I had a BSOD in W7, on reboot I was told the gfx card had caused a serious error. I downloaded and installed the latest offical Nvidia drivers, rebooted and now had artifacts over the screen.
As I work from home I couldn't afford any further delay so I'm back running on my old XP drive. Apart from being noticably slower to boot and the menus not looking as nice I'm happy I've still got good old reliable XP to fall back on!
Old 15 September 2009, 10:28 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
There was a deal last month for significantly reduced price, but that has gone now. I have on order Windows 7 Professional for £87 from Amazon (which is now £148).

Steve
Just having a look now and it seems that on Amazon you can pre-order Professional for 148 and Ultimate for 149.48!?!?

I'm seriously considering buying a copy of this OS as well

Andy

Last edited by T4molie; 15 September 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 15 September 2009, 11:22 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Watch out for the shipping costs for the 'free' upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - £28 !!

Upgrading to Windows 7 - Toshiba
Old 15 September 2009, 11:36 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I've had the RC1 of W7 for ages (as part of their preview programme). Like Urban says, Vista was rubbish and I reverted back to XP prior to installing W7 on a new drive.
Been very happy with W7, so much so I pre-ordered it. The first OS I've purchased!
However, 2 days ago when shutting down W7 installed some updates and yesterday I had a BSOD in W7, on reboot I was told the gfx card had caused a serious error. I downloaded and installed the latest offical Nvidia drivers, rebooted and now had artifacts over the screen.
As I work from home I couldn't afford any further delay so I'm back running on my old XP drive. Apart from being noticably slower to boot and the menus not looking as nice I'm happy I've still got good old reliable XP to fall back on!

I have been getting the same issue with the RC1 edition too, also running a NVidia card. 90% of the time it works fine but once in a while (normally after an update has been installed) once I have logged in the screen goes all crappy and I have to hit the old reset button.
Old 17 September 2009, 10:32 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Let me know if you find a fix mate. Mines still doing it now. I think I'm going to switch back to XP till the proper W7 lands on my door mat and do a reinstall.
Old 17 September 2009, 10:21 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
One of my laptops is running Vista Home Premium. Did i read somewhere that you can upgrade to Windows 7 for free or have i missed the boat?
Windows: Windows 7 Upgrade Option
Old 20 September 2009, 06:52 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by T4molie
Just having a look now and it seems that on Amazon you can pre-order Professional for 148 and Ultimate for 149.48!?!?

I'm seriously considering buying a copy of this OS as well

Andy

Why give bill gates any money, hes rich enough, download it and get a key gen!
Old 22 September 2009, 07:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
*flame suit on* I don't want to get burnt when they start on you
Old 22 September 2009, 07:23 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Exactly, plenty of cracked OEM copies floating about...
Old 23 September 2009, 08:29 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea which have blocked keys so u wont be able to use win updates when MS start throwing out updates when it goes retail There's always a way around that of course alledgely.