Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - trying to get a wireless connection working

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2009, 06:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - trying to get a wireless connection working

My son has been borrowing a laptop with wireless connection which was using the router in my office below his bedroom. But he no longer has access to the laptop and is trying to get wireless onto his oldish but reasonable desktop.

His desktop PC runs USB 1.1 as it is old, and he installed the network adapter with no trouble, it found the wireless network but simply wouldn't connect to it (there is no encryption on our wireless network so this isn't the problem, plus he has a games console in his room which is happily connected wirelessly). He came to the conclusion that this was due to it being used with USB 1.1 ports, so he's bought a new pci card with USB 2.0 (on the box of the wireless network adapter it states that uses USB 2.0) but now the computer won't acknowledge that the network adapter is plugged into it. He is using other hardware devices on this new pci card just fine. Can anyone help?

Thanks, David
Old 30 August 2009, 10:35 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Network adapter and router now working through one of the old 1.1 USB ports so immediate problem sorted.

But it still won't recognise the newly installed PCI card with 2.0 USB ports?

So we would still welcome any comments.

Cheers, David
Old 30 August 2009, 03:36 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Have you tried some basic troubleshooting to eliminate faulty USB2 PCI card as the problem. I would install the card, plug a USB stick into it and see if you can read / write to it.

Take a look in the machine bios settings - are there options to enable and disable PCI support.

I would also try the PCI card in another of the PCI slots.
Old 30 August 2009, 04:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Have you tried some basic troubleshooting to eliminate faulty USB2 PCI card as the problem. I would install the card, plug a USB stick into it and see if you can read / write to it.

Take a look in the machine bios settings - are there options to enable and disable PCI support.

I would also try the PCI card in another of the PCI slots.

Thanks for that. But, as said, the PCI card works with other USB2 hardware - it just won't recognise the adapter card. But it is working which is the main thing and seems fast enough. David