Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SQL Server hosting - anyone use/want ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2002, 11:41 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi all

I would be interested to hear from anyone who is using this, has used it or wants to use it in a shared hosting environment.

Specifically I am interested in the pricing model - is it best priced as a separate addon to a hosting package or do you think a "enterprise level" package which contains it is best ? Would you prefer a setup fee and lower monthly costs or no setup fees ? Priced on space usage or number of databases ?

Also, are there any features in sql server 2000 that are commonly requested that hosts do not often offer ? hot backups for instance ?

Please just dump your thoughts here and lets get a good discussion going.

many thanks
Lee.
Old 11 March 2002, 11:56 AM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

V.Interested in pricing models for this...

Would need specifically...

W2000 Server Because of COM+ Components...

SQL Server 2000 for XML Support

IIS (obviously)

No restrictions on Server side components....
Old 11 March 2002, 12:07 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

tell me how you'd like it done then..basically thats the purpose of this thread I'm looking into offering sql2000 as a service but am interested in what features/models people expect.

The stuff you list there is more important for the webserver, not the db server... although if you are writing your own code in COM+ your own server would be recommended.

Old 11 March 2002, 02:46 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

I know that a lot of people (small bus's) run everything on one box (Not strictly a classic 3 tier arch'...)
i.e. thin client, and the middle tier components running on the webserver, as well as the back end, e.g. Oracle.....

Thats why I said it.....I asked a few people about hosting a classic n Tier system, i.e. 1 box for the webserver, and com+ components, and another for the DB, or maybe even split the first two across boxes.....and the costs were huge.....thats why the "all on one box approach".....

I'll either get someone to host my own box, and I can support it via remote control, or see what the costs of putting it all onto one box are....I know it's not ideal (or that scaleable), but money doesn't grow on trees.....

thanks for the info.
Old 11 March 2002, 08:50 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

we will be running a dedicated DB server. Spec will be dual CPU, RAID5, 2GB RAM. Access will be from shared server or customer dedicated/colo'd server. So effectively the tiers are separate - what someone does with the webserver is upto them :-)

Can't believe no-one else has any input on this. I was under the impression that sqlserver was in "high demand" ?