Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac woes

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2009, 04:54 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac woes

I've got a Mini Mac, it's been sat in a draw for awhile but having installed iTunes in Vista on my laptop the 5 secs it takes to change between albums reminded me that iTunes is meant to run better under Mac OS.

So I get the Mini Mac out, 125MB of software updates, and 90mins to install, I run up iTunes. Upgrade to 8.2.1 it tells me. So I download 70+ MB only to read the readme first to find out my OS version of 10.3.9 is too old. So I use the previously updated Safari to search for my local Apple store, this crashes Safari everytime

After finding the UK store I couldn't find an upgrade to Leopard, only the full version but I can't see the price as the webpage doesn't render properly, there is stuff overwriting the bit where the price is Good job IE works on my laptop so I can see it's £83. Silly me for think the Apple store would work with the Apple web browser. I'm not prepared to pay that.

I plugged my iPod Touch into the Mac anyway, hoping to use the iTunes currently installed. But no, it thinks it is a digital camera

I guess I am not worthy if I am treated this way my GWOS.

After all that is there a sensibly priced upgrade available to me, I can't use Snow Leopard as my Mini Mac is the original G4 variety? Can one upgrade to 10.4 for a reasonable price instead?
Old 16 August 2009, 12:43 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've sent you a PM, but thought I'd reply here too.

You are spot on about not being able to run Snow Leopard (10.6), as it's intel only, but it's not released yet. Leopard (10.5) should run on the mini you have. I know it certainly runs on my iBook G4.

I doubt 10.3.9 has the drivers for the iPhone, it wasn't even a glimmer in Jobs' eyes when Jaguar was released.

I seriously doubt you can get an upgrade to Tiger (10.4) these days as it's been superseded by Leopard, and thus you'd really be looking at an upgrade to leopard, unless of course you go hunting somewhere for 10.4.
Old 16 August 2009, 09:02 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, I see the Snow Leopard upgrade is a 3rd of the price of Leopard, have I missed something here?
Old 16 August 2009, 01:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Possibly. Leopard is $129 retail. If you purchased Leopard then Snow Leopard is $29 via Apple's Up-to-date program. I think that if you purchased Leopard within a specific timeframe of Snow Leopard being released then it's a free update.

Basically Snow Leopard isn't, from a user viewpoint, isn't a large update in the same way 10.4 to 10.5 is. Most of the things that have changed in 10.6 are for developers, hence why it's not the usual $129 update.