Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

need info regarding moving computer upstairs

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2009, 11:16 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info regarding moving computer upstairs

hi i have a 3 year old desktop currently hard wired to a router.(router can be used wirelessly.) desktop has no means to be used wirelessly.

problem is i want to move the computer upstairs out the road but would still like to use it hard wired.what are my options to do this?can i buy something to make it wireless or do i buy a long telephone cable i just dont know.
also i play the xbox360 live downstairs in the livingroom and now my computer is going upstairs any suggestions on the best setup?
thanks
Old 12 August 2009, 11:51 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

For anything that stays where it is (games console, desktop computer), I like to use the Homeplug things. I have no idea how they work, but I am impressed!

Steve
Old 12 August 2009, 01:26 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

For wireless links you can now buy cheap (less than £15) wireless USB sticks. So if you have got a free USB port just stick that in and it'll talk wireless to your hub.

THe Homeplug items are so simple, basically as long as you have 2 PC's on the same phase, just stick the network cable in, power then both up and they find each other (most have lights to indicate that they have found each other). These are actually simpler than a wireless setup, because you don't have to worry about SSID's, WEP/WPA keys, etc, etc. You can get a pair for around £60.

How is the 360 currently connecting to the network? Again you can go wireless or wired, if you want to stream media the faster the better (go for 200Mbps homeplugs). Otherwise a normal 54g wireless connection should be fine.
Old 12 August 2009, 02:38 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Deffo recommend the homeplugs. Got 3 running and work out about £28 each 200mb ones from Amazon. Literally plug and play.

Simon
Old 12 August 2009, 03:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what will they think of next, 10 years ago I spent a fortune cabling my house with CAT5e
Old 12 August 2009, 04:08 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
For wireless links you can now buy cheap (less than £15) wireless USB sticks. So if you have got a free USB port just stick that in and it'll talk wireless to your hub.

THe Homeplug items are so simple, basically as long as you have 2 PC's on the same phase, just stick the network cable in, power then both up and they find each other (most have lights to indicate that they have found each other). These are actually simpler than a wireless setup, because you don't have to worry about SSID's, WEP/WPA keys, etc, etc. You can get a pair for around £60.

How is the 360 currently connecting to the network? Again you can go wireless or wired, if you want to stream media the faster the better (go for 200Mbps homeplugs). Otherwise a normal 54g wireless connection should be fine.

You got a three-phase electricity supply to your house then
Old 12 August 2009, 05:22 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

thanks so far for the replys just to clarify things computer will be relocated upstairs.

computer is connected currently using a router with spare ethernet ports on the back......router can be used wireless has an antenna.

xbox360 is currently hard wired to spare ethernet port on router.
iam going to be lifting the living room floor ina couple of days to lay new flooring.

would this be the ideal opportunity to lay down a cable under the new flooring in my livingroom connecting the xbox to router?so then the computer will be upstairs connected to one of them homeplugs and is it always a pair of homeplugs i need one for the computer and one for the router?
so is the router to be kept downstairs then or does it get kept with the computer?

Last edited by delcbr; 12 August 2009 at 05:23 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2009, 06:03 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

hey i just bought a netgear homeplug for £60.comes with 2 plugs.1 plug always connect top router the other connects to pc.then when i want to play xbox i remove plug which is connected to pc then plug into xbox downstairs.
iam planning in running a telephone cable from telephone socket over to the bedroom with pc so that router and pc are in same rtoom and use 1 socket so i can keep the other socket downstair for the sexbox lol
Old 21 August 2009, 10:46 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Homeplugs are the devils work