Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help designing flyers...

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2009, 11:39 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help designing flyers...

Hi guys, bit weird for me to venture in here usually but as per the usual suspects who moan about threads being in the wrong areas, I'm going all sundry and asking in here

Right some who venture into NSR may know I've recently just held my first DJ night, which I promoted myself.

Basically I'm doing another night and wish to do the flyers again. Now what I'm having done is the following...
  • 500x A5 Black & White (on a yellow background) flyers.
  • 20x A4 Colour posters.
  • 7x A3 Colour posters
The flyers will be handed out around shops in the vicinity and on the night by the "skirt" that work behind the bar. The posters (A4 and A3) will be dotted arounf the bar itself, so obviously will be a better quality.

Anywho, thats not my issue. My issue is that I want to use Photoshop to make the posters (as the flyers can be basic lettering with vital info on) look visually interesting and more professional looking than my last attempt.

These are the A4 and A5 ones I did last time...

It's basically not fiancially viable to have the flyers done in colour, but you can see what I've done in making the text bigger and more squished for a smaller sized paper?

So without waffling on, this is the vital information which will go onto the new poster design...

SIMPLY IBIZA II
@ BAR MATRIX SCUNTHORPE
DJ ANDY HART
11PM-4AM
FRIDAY 14TH AUGUST
FREE ENTRY
A SEAMLESS BLEND... bla bla bla (at the bottom).

I'm using a similar layout and design to the above posters as it shows familiarity with the brand inaccordance to the night if that makes sense. I'm just looking at different background "sunset" imagery now.

Any help and/or advice appreicated as I have no idea on how to use Photoshop. The version I have is 'CS3' if that means anything.

Thanks in advance and if anyone can help, I'll gladly send some CD demo mixes in the post for nothing I just wanna do the best job I can really.
Old 02 August 2009, 03:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Have you priced up the leaflet printing on ebay? you can have 5000 colour leaflets done for pennies at the moment, it looks like loads of the printing companies are struggling for business and have slashed the prices, 2 years back i paid quite a bit of money for 2000 of the things and i still have around 500 left

I do all my leaflets in Paintshop Pro 7, no idea what the latest and greatest is, i just know this version quite well so i have stuck with it
Old 02 August 2009, 07:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Have you priced up the leaflet printing on ebay? you can have 5000 colour leaflets done for pennies at the moment, it looks like loads of the printing companies are struggling for business and have slashed the prices, 2 years back i paid quite a bit of money for 2000 of the things and i still have around 500 left

I do all my leaflets in Paintshop Pro 7, no idea what the latest and greatest is, i just know this version quite well so i have stuck with it
**** Micky being nice to me... this is a good week

But seriously, I would love 500 colour leaflets but didn't know where to start.

I can get the 500 B&W ones done for £12.50 as most would probably get thrown away.

The 20 A4 and 7 A3 colour posters for inside the bar are £11.00 and £6.65 respectively.

Have you any links per chance
Old 03 August 2009, 09:08 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Hmm problem with only getting 500 is that it is going to cost more, better to get 2-5000 printed up at a cheaper per flyer price, and make them last longer, i recently priced up leaftlet drops with my local free paper

for around £120 they would put 5000 leaflets into the paper before delivering and you could choose what postcodes you wanted to abuse, really cheap considering the time it would take you to hand out 5000 leaflets by hand ?

5000 leaflets double sided and full colour £65 delivered
5000 A5 Full Colour 2Sides 130gm Gloss Flyers/Leaflets on eBay (end time 09-Aug-09 22:01:41 BST)

130gsm is what i use for mine, and its fine, i had a mate use skanky photocopies for his at 10p a pop, to be honest they looked a bit crap, although if you were wanting black on yellow paper it might be an option?

Last edited by StickyMicky; 03 August 2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03 August 2009, 04:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The issue being I'm printing flyers for one event at a time, so 500 is the max I need. Scunny's population is only 80,000ish so 5,000 in a few shops will be way overkill. Theres not really a way around it from what I've thought, and to advertise a few events on one flyer would be daft as people generally would throw them away anywho. This is why I thought 500 A5's for each event with a few colour copies in bigger sizes for walls, windows etc.