Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help me spend a fortune!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2009, 02:28 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help me spend a fortune!

OK, after a break up I need a new PC and Sky+ / alternative. I've also seen stuff about media centre and I'd like to start building a music / film / TV collection.

Talk to me about gadgets!

I have a wireless router, Sky+ dish but no box or subscription, Netbook running XP, itunes account, car radio that accepts a memory stick...MP3

I want the Sky+ features (mainly recording / series link) but I'm not fussed if it's Sky or not. I want to watch films and TV plus listen to music on two floors and in the car. The Sky box (was) will be on a different floor to the PC. The PC will mainly be for surfing, (high quality) photo editing and a little video editing...possibly the media stuff.

Any thoughts as to what I want to be looking at? There will be a degree of redecorating going on too so I can run wires and stuff. Oh and I'd like to keep costs down a bit!

Old 17 July 2009, 02:57 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I use a Mac Mini for recoridng TV and watching DVD's.

It's linked via Ethernet that is in trunking in the wall (did it while we decorated/re-skimmed walls) into a small cupboard upstairs where it connects to a network switch and Media Server.

I use it for Freeview and use EyeTV software. There is no series link as such, but there are 'smartguides' and scheduled recordings which can be set daily, weekly etc.

You can also purchase a 'Freesat' cabable box for the Mac mini.

In short, I would say you need
  • a main server/NAS for storing lots of video/music/recorded TV.
  • Some playback device for each TV/Monitor
  • ideally a wired network (you may get away with wireless if ALL you requipment in 'n' capable)
Old 21 July 2009, 03:58 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Also depends what you can be bothered doing as well Bob.

I wanted to go the same way as you, having a NAS to store all my vids, photo's music etc but in the end it would have involved more money than I wanted to spend, loads of time/hassle setting everything up which as a network newbie would be frustrating, and would end up being difficult to manage as well.

In the end, I have a Topfield for Freeview recording which is just as good as Sky+ etc, and I have an 80gb iPod which has all my music on it and can be transported easily enough to my kitchen (where I have a nice LCD TV and audio system), and also into the ST where I have a Parrot 9200 kit.

I also have lots of automated lighting etc using the Home Easy stuff

Total cost was fairly low, and I can move my music collection to wherever I am.

It's nice having an all in one linked system, audio, lighting, etc etc but you need to learn a lot about how it all works. When we next move, I will probably do it from scratch, but for now just go for the basics.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 21 July 2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03 August 2009, 05:08 PM
YXD
Scooby Regular

Ok my setup is as follows:

1 media centre PC built myself under the LCD tv in the living room
2x 1TB hard drives to store all music/ videos etc.
Bluray drive
HDMI out for HD picture.
optical out for hookup to home cinema speakers when playing movies
Freeview card + Vista Ultimate + Sam Saffron's Media plug-in for Media Centre (Freeware) - just google sam saffron for more info.
Keysonic wireless keyboard

All this allows me to watch movies/tv/iplayer etc as well as go on the web all from my sofa.

I've got itunes on there as well for my ipod with all my music in.... however I've also recently bought an Ipod touch and an Airport express which means that I can sit in the garden with the garden speakers on and control the music over the wifi network from the ipod touch using the Remote app...its great

My next plan for it is to get a DVB-S card so that I can get Freesat HD channels without having to subscribe to sky BBC, ITV, C4 etc.

PC cost me to build about £500 and over £150 of that was a case that I wanted which looked like something other than a computer. Its a Lian Li but is now discontinued. This was all about a year ago so would be cheaper now.

Hope this helps.. Get spending !!