Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

8GB SSD Netbook, is it too small?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2009, 11:38 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8GB SSD Netbook, is it too small?

Just been offered an Acer ZG5 with 8GB SSD, but 8GB? Is that really usable?!

Other than that, anyone know if theyre any good?
Old 28 July 2009, 09:07 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's okay running linux and for web browsing, if you are planning on using windows on it though forget it . The sd drive is just too slow
Old 28 July 2009, 09:29 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Thats for that. I think it comes with Linux but i wouldnt mind trying Windows 7 on whatever i decide on. Back to the drawing board...
Old 28 July 2009, 01:30 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

did you know most netbooks can have the SSD upgraded to something bigger

8GB is too small for windows I'd say. You can install Windows on it, but there's not much room left for anything else.
Old 28 July 2009, 01:36 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

8GB is fine!

My wife and I both have Asus Eee PCs - the original one, with 4GB SSD and we have Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office on both of them, with about 1.7GB spare.

The Asus has an SD slot, so we both have a 16GB SDHC in there which is used for "My Documents"....

It all works perfectly, Mrs Shades uses hers as a desktop machine (ie external LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse), and I use mine when I go travelling on holiday or business.

8GB would be fine.... certainly if you were happy with an XP install.... dunno about Vista/Win7

Shades
Old 28 July 2009, 04:58 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
8GB is fine!

My wife and I both have Asus Eee PCs - the original one, with 4GB SSD and we have Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office on both of them, with about 1.7GB spare.

The Asus has an SD slot, so we both have a 16GB SDHC in there which is used for "My Documents"....

It all works perfectly, Mrs Shades uses hers as a desktop machine (ie external LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse), and I use mine when I go travelling on holiday or business.

8GB would be fine.... certainly if you were happy with an XP install.... dunno about Vista/Win7

Shades
Horses for courses, but I would say you're the exception. I had an EEE PC last summer and got fed up with the lack of storage. As for plugging something in whenever you want to see "My Documents", that's a pain.
Old 28 July 2009, 08:44 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Decided against the 8GB SSD as i'd like to try Windows 7 and not sure how much room it would need. I'd also like to download some essentials and wouldnt want to run out of room.

Now looking at an Acer 5735Z with 250GB HDD and 3GB RAM. That should see me through!
Old 28 July 2009, 09:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
did you know most netbooks can have the SSD upgraded to something bigger

8GB is too small for windows I'd say. You can install Windows on it, but there's not much room left for anything else.
Yep done that on my 901 EEE with a 128GB Runcore SSD (from the 8GB, still have the 4GB installed). The thing cost nearly as much as the Computer, but it is now more useable as well as the 2 GB ram (upgraded it from the 1GB it came with). Currently running a full blown copy of Windows XP pro with plenty of spare capacity for backing up holiday photos. Came in especially handy on holiday (twice now) for Internet access etc... nice and small so fits in a rucksack etc..
Old 28 July 2009, 10:36 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Horses for courses, but I would say you're the exception. I had an EEE PC last summer and got fed up with the lack of storage. As for plugging something in whenever you want to see "My Documents", that's a pain.
Plugging something in? The SDHC card sits in the machine permanently and is completely seamless, you just click on "My Documents" like you would normally...
Old 28 July 2009, 10:39 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Now considering the Samsung NC10, lol. I will make my mind up eventually. White, Blue or Black?