Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2009, 04:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising

This is shaping up quite well!

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Video Game, E3 09: Developer Walkthrough Pt. 2 (Cam) | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

I have had this on preorder for a while at shopto.net, but they have just pushed back the release date on the website and the "release date or compensate" thing does not apply, so i cancelled the preorder.

They have the Ps3/360 preorder versions at about 32quid, and the PC version is at 18 quid.

Not sure which version i will get now (had the 360 version preorderd) i have a funny feeling that the 360 crowd will pass it over for COD6/mw2 som the PC version might be a better bet?

Last edited by StickyMicky; 22 July 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 22 July 2009, 04:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Another good vid

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Video Game, E3 09: Developer Walkthrough Pt. 1 (Cam) | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
Old 22 July 2009, 09:34 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Looks great, I loved the original !
Old 22 July 2009, 10:32 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

not by the original developers mind, Bohemia. Codemasters bought them, then the team split up.

Absolutely loved the original - real gritty war game, that I stuck with right till the end. Getting shot was genuinely nasty.
Old 23 July 2009, 10:36 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I have spent a few hours now on Arma 2 (ie made by the same team that did flashpoint 1), around 1 last night, and another this morning

The hour i spent this morning was multiplayer, i never saw a single enemy player, i saw 1 enemy AI chap, who i run over in my jeep, the rest of the time i spent getting killed

It could have been so good, but at the moment it feels like a quick Beta then a released game, i suspect they released it early to beat flashpoint 2, and plan to constantly patch it to work out all the bugs, rather then release it alongside flashpoint 2, which will undoubtedly have a lot more spent on polishing and marketing.

I am wondering if Arma 2 will become one of these "cult" games in the future, after it has been patched to death, maybe with some people bringing out some decent mods for it that get rid of all the unpolished stuff
Old 23 July 2009, 12:15 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I have spent a few hours now on Arma 2 (ie made by the same team that did flashpoint 1), around 1 last night, and another this morning

The hour i spent this morning was multiplayer, i never saw a single enemy player, i saw 1 enemy AI chap, who i run over in my jeep, the rest of the time i spent getting killed

It could have been so good, but at the moment it feels like a quick Beta then a released game, i suspect they released it early to beat flashpoint 2, and plan to constantly patch it to work out all the bugs, rather then release it alongside flashpoint 2, which will undoubtedly have a lot more spent on polishing and marketing.

I am wondering if Arma 2 will become one of these "cult" games in the future, after it has been patched to death, maybe with some people bringing out some decent mods for it that get rid of all the unpolished stuff
gawd, that reminds me of the ton of bugs Operation Flashpoint 1 had when it was first released

Will keep an eye out for Arma.
Old 25 July 2009, 07:38 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I couldn't get on with ArmA2, whatbthe hell have they done to the graphics fora start!? It's like they've smeared vasaline over the camera. Trying to flyaway heli with the keyboard and mouse is hilariously difficult!
Old 25 July 2009, 04:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The graphics are a bit strange, some of them look ok, some bits look bizzare, i found turning the post processing down helped sharpen everything up, it also seams like it is a bit of a beast as a system hog, at max everything, i was getting around 29fps on the demo benchmark.

Kind of related, i have just picked up a copy of Socom 2 for the ps2 as i was bored today at work seams ok, not played this one before, annoyingly i can not find a way to save during a mission, and i got killed right at what i suspect was the end of the first one

Forecast for rain up here tomorrow so i will get stuck in properly
Old 13 August 2009, 05:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ARGHHHH!

Console versions have had the multiplayer cut to 4 v 4 with "AI" team mates

I will try a 360 demo if it appears, but it is now looking like the PC version will be leagues ahead (16 v 16 players IIRC )

Spent 3.9 hours on the ARMA2 demo now according to my steam stats, and i am finally getting the jist of things , had an awesome co-op game yesterday, i basically did what ever the squad leader told me to do, until everybody else was dead, then i did a rambo and went mental (and died about 30 secs later )