Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What course to get into networking?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 04:03 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What course to get into networking?

hi i would just like to ask for your opinion on what course is ideal to get into networking? i have good knowledge of basic networking but would like improve my understanding on more indepth networking. i have looked at courses like CCNA & CCNP but not sure what course is good to begin with and how intense are these courses. also there are sites that claim that the CCNA can be completed in as little as 6weeks time?

thanks
Old 05 June 2009, 04:12 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should take a look at the Cisco CCENT course (the exam is ICND1 I think). This is the network fundamentals but includes basic switch and router config. Plus OSI model, routing protocols etc.

Once you've done this you can move on to take the ICND2 exam which is more complex but would then get you your CCNA.

It depends how basic your networking skills are really.

CCENT Certification

Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT™) validates the ability to install, operate and troubleshoot a small enterprise branch network, including basic network security. With a CCENT, network professional demonstrates the skills required for entry-level network support positions - the starting point for many successful careers in networking. The curriculum covers networking fundamentals, WAN technologies, basic security and wireless concepts, routing and switching fundamentals, and configuring simple networks. CCENT is the first step toward achieving CCNA, which covers medium size enterprise branch networks with more complex connections
Old 05 June 2009, 04:37 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

i have seen a few universities that do CCNA/CCNP but not the CCENT. how much does the course cost and where is the recommended place to take it on?

Old 05 June 2009, 05:19 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

If you have a look at the link below you'll see that for the CCNA you can either do 2 exams ICND1 (basic stuff) and ICND2 (more advanced), or you can do 1 exam CCNA which covers the basic and more advanced stuff in 1 exam.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...type_home.html

If you do the 2 separate exams then as soon as you've passed ICND1 you become a CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician).

If you go on to complete ICND2 you also become a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)

I think most people recommend doing the separate exams as it's supposed to be easier. Plus you can spread the costs of training etc. Do ICND1 this year, ICND2 next year or something.

I've been doing this stuff for years but fancied getting some Cisco qualifications so thought I'd go for my CCNA. I'm swatting up on ICND1 now. Alot of it I know but there's some good basics in there and some stuff I didn't know. Not bothering with training courses though as they're generally too slow for me and I get bored easily.

Can't really help with the best place to go for courses. The last courses I did were with Azlan (now Global Knowledge) and I think they are supposed to be pretty good but not necessarily as cheap as a local college or uni.

Last edited by LostUser; 05 June 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05 June 2009, 05:56 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

thanks. so did you also do the theory work as in units/coursework or did you just take the exams? how intense did you find the work & is it general knowledge research?

Old 05 June 2009, 06:17 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I'm just swatting up and then going to take the exams.

It really depends on how your networking skills are. CCENT is really not that bad.

The CBTNuggets videos are really good but you have to pay for them. It's like learning in the classroom but you can watch the videos as and when you like. The advantage over just reading study material is that someone is explaining it and showing you examples at the same time.

Obviously these are Cisco exams though. Although it gives you a general networking overview at the same time a percentage of the material is Cisco specific. Obviously you're highly likely to be working with Cisco kit though.

What kind of topics do you want to learn?
Old 05 June 2009, 06:29 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

i would like to learn topics such as routing LAN/WAN, IP adressing & netwrok troubleshooting.

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2009, 06:33 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

CCNA Program this is whats required to gain a CCNA. do you reckon that looks difficult?
Old 05 June 2009, 07:12 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aladdin
i would like to learn topics such as routing LAN/WAN, IP adressing & netwrok troubleshooting.
The CCENT qualification (or ICND1 exam/course) covers all of these topics.

The CCNA (ICND2) goes in to much more detail.

Will you be able to use these skills straight away in your current job or are you planning on using the qualification to get a job in networking?

If you could use these skills straight away then the CCENT would give you a real understanding and make networking appear much simpler for you.
Old 05 June 2009, 08:38 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

i am planning on getting a new job in networking.
Old 06 June 2009, 11:09 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

ICND/CCENT route is the better choice if you have no real exposure to networking and Cisco already.

Simon
Old 06 June 2009, 11:42 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you can always just self study --- and the money you save buy some 2nd hand Cisco kit (for peanuts -- some Co's just chuck the stuff) to create proper scenarios

I did the CCNA and CCNP that way albeit a few yaers ago-- also loads of stuff availabe on the interweb if you know where to look