Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

My laptop is running very lethargic, mainly internet browsing.

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2009, 03:53 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My laptop is running very lethargic, mainly internet browsing.

All of a sudden my laptop seems to be running very lethargic, it mainly seems to be when i`m browsing the internet or using poker software via the net.

My first thought is naturally for it to be a problem with my ISP, when i launch a browser like IE it hangs for quite a while before it opens, turning pages on the net can be a bit sluggish as well. When i`m playing poker their is a lag delay of a few seconds after ive pressed a button etc.

My laptop is fairly quick, i have a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7700 which is 2.4Ghz, 3GB Ram, NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT graphics etc etc

We have a broadband router which is a D-Link DIR-635 which transfers at 100mbs, we have never had a problem in the past, ive re-booted the router and virgin box a few times but its still the same, ive done a reset on the router yet it remains the same.

My laptop recently went to Sony under warranty and they changed the main board and did a bios update, could that have anything to do with it ?

My broadband seems the right speed on a test which i did here

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Are their any other tests i can do as its not good to have lagg especially when your playing poker. lol

Thanks
Old 01 June 2009, 10:10 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

probably this website - same on my laptop - scoobynet hasn't been the same since it was infested with ads
Old 02 June 2009, 10:49 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Rob. try a malware scan

go here and click the free download link on the left. Install it and perform a scan on your computer
Malwarebytes.org
Old 02 June 2009, 05:41 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Rob. try a malware scan

go here and click the free download link on the left. Install it and perform a scan on your computer
Malwarebytes.org
Hi Spectrum

Thats the first thing i did which was to run a spyware scan and a virus scan, i use spybot S&D as my spyware scanner and eset smart security/nod32 as my virus scanner and firewall.

They both came back clear.
Old 02 June 2009, 08:16 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

are you using a wireless connection from your laptop ? If so, have you tried disabling the wireless and using a wired connection instead - just for comparison ?

Why not try an alternative browser ? I use google chrome and love it's speed.

Has anybody got any bandwidth hogging applications running ? Torrents, etc ?
Old 03 June 2009, 06:33 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

An update:

Ive checked the laptop direct to the internet and its still the same, really sluggish and hanging so its not the router.

We have another laptop in the house which is an Acer, ive just checked that on the wireless connection and it runs perfect, no lag, no sluggishness and no hanging.

I play poker on full tilt, on my laptop the Vaio its really hanging bad and its delayed by a good fe seconds, if a press a button it doesn`t react for a while, certain things hang and freeze.

Now on the other laptop the Acer the same poker software runs perfect both direct to the internet and on wirless.

Like i said above, this laptop went to Sony for a repair under warranty with a fan issue where it was staying on all the time, they changed the main board, they cleaned the heatsink and added some new thermac paste.

Could the change of main board be the cause of these new problems above, it was fine before it went away and no all these hanging, freezing and delay problems while surfing the net and playing poker.

The fan still stays on all of the time and blows out quite a bit of heat, i heard that some Vaio laptops had a problem with Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics cards, could this be the problem which would explain the fan being on all the time and the heat being thrown out ?

Some expert advice would be really helpful.
Old 03 June 2009, 08:37 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Try updating the video card drivers and check in device manager for any yellow exclamation marks !

Richard
Old 03 June 2009, 10:26 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

hmm, what *could* have happened is, SONY may have fitted slightly different hardware when it went back to them for repair. Chances are they probably didn't do a fresh install of Windows afterwards.

It could be your best bet is a reformat of the hard disk and a fresh install of windows.

Prior to that, as Richard says, check the device manager for any discrepancies.
Old 03 June 2009, 11:05 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Try updating the video card drivers and check in device manager for any yellow exclamation marks !

Richard
Thanks for the replies, ive done the above, it was one of the first things i tried, i have no exclamation marks and all my drivers are upto date.

When my laptop when in to be repaired by Sony and they put in the new main board you would think this is one thing they would test for as standard practice, i`m totally baffled, it must be something they did as i didn`t have the above issues before it went to be repaired under warranty.
Old 05 June 2009, 06:49 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I think ive managed to cure the problem, i did what i was holding back on trying for the obvious reasons due to the timescale which was a reformat of the entire hard drives and a full install of windows including all the updates and installing all the sony drivers and software again.

The process took about 12 hours in total, everything seems fine at the min *touch wood*, i`m suprised Sony didn`t do this when my laptop went in for the initial problem under warranty as that way it was one thing they could eliminate.

Thanks for the input and previous suggestions