Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Frozen Ipod Nano

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 10:25 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Frozen Ipod Nano

Its my brothers, I can't stand the things, but he's not technical minded at all. So I have to give it a go.

Basically its frozen on the menu screen. Nothing on the wheel seems to do anything, and the screen backlight never comes up,even when charging.

It responds to the reset, then boots up, back into the same position. Responds to charging, and being connected to a PC.

Itunes picks it up, can add songs etc. I've updated the Ipod itself to the latest version 1.1.3. But still its the same. Now stuck on the welcome screen where you select a language. Except you can't select.

I'm thinking about formatting the whole thing in windows. But I would imagine the firmware would be on a separate, unobtainable partition.

Any advice?
Old 22 May 2009, 03:13 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can still update the firmware on Windows via iTunes, I did this under Vista the other day so I know it is possible. I'd suggest trying the factory restore option in iTunes, see if it makes any difference. It's possible there might be a hardware problem with it though
Old 22 May 2009, 07:54 AM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like a hardware problem, ive heard they do this when the hard drive it on the way out. The hard drives are cheap but a bitch to replace!
Old 22 May 2009, 09:17 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did update the FW via iTunes. Its the latest now.

I have two of his older Nano's. Both buggered in different ways. I've had them apart, the HDD just looks like a multi leg chip doesn't it? If so, that must be why it a bitch to do. Oh well, another one for the pile.

cheers guys