Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop repair, how can you tell if your motherboard has been changed ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 04:27 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop repair, how can you tell if your motherboard has been changed ?

Ive just got my laptop back from Sony (Teleplan), it went to them because the fan was staying on all the time and not switching off.

It was collected by DHL on monday and i couldn`t believe it when they delivered it back to me today, thats some service.

On the enclosed letter in a check box their is a tick that says the main board has been changed and a tick for a bios update, at the bottom written in biro it says "Cleaned Heatsink, applied fresh thermac paste". On the sheet it doesn`t mention anything to do the fan components being changed.

The laptop still seems the same as before it left with the fan being on all the time, is their a way if i can tell if the motherboard has been changed ?

I`m not an expert in this area, far from it lol. All the files that were on my laptop before it left are still their, all the programmes are the same along with my desktop wallpaper still intact etc.

If the main board has been changed would the laptop have needed a fresh install of windows which would have then meant all my files would have been lost or is that stored somewhere else ? Also ive just re-installed some software that i took off before it went for repair and i didn`t have to put in my username or serial number as it remembered them, should it remember those details after a main board change ?

Thanks

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 21 May 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 21 May 2009, 05:00 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert but as far as your data and info that won't change as it's on the hard drive so it shouldn't in theory be affected when changing the motherboard . Though that doesn't really answer your question
Old 21 May 2009, 05:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm sure others will correct me, but if they swapped the motherboard for a new one, providing it's the same make and model, which it more than likely will be, it should not need any changes to windows as the components on the board will not have changed.

All the data will be on the hard drive, and thus that won't change if the board is changed.

As for the serial number being remembered, that's probably due to the application writing that information somewhere, probably in the registry and this info was not removed when you deleted the software, so when you install it just uses what is there and does not ask again.

Without opening up the machine, which would void any warranty you have, it'll be nigh on impossible to find out if they changed the board, even if you did open it up, unless you had pictures of the old board, specifically any writing on there regarding revision numbers, date of manufacture and such like, it would be hard to tell if it had been replaced.
Old 21 May 2009, 08:00 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus, what you say does seem sensible.

Initially i contacted Sony with my model number and asked them should the fan be on all the time, they replied back and said the fan shouldn`t be on all the time and they gave me some contact details of the repair centre.

Ive got my laptop back but the fan seems the same as before where it stays on all the time, the bit i struggle to grasp is they said everything is fully tested and meets Sony`s requirements after its been repaired.

If the fan is still on all of the time which it is how can it meet Sony`s requirements when they said to me via email that the fan should not be staying on all of the time ?
Old 21 May 2009, 09:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i,m surprised windows doesn't need re-activating
Old 22 May 2009, 10:27 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Most laptops have their Ethernet network card on the mainboard. If this is the case and your board was swapped you would have a new MAC address. It's too late now but as Markus says opening the case voids your warranty.