Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Backup exec users here?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2009, 05:35 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Backup exec users here?

Having an issue with media sets and backup jobs spanning multiple tapes.

I have a job that spans 2 tapes. I've assigned them to a media set thats Overwrite protect 4weeks, Infinite allow append.

With this setting its asking for new media when the first is full it doesnt automatically go to the next available blank tape.

If i change it to 0 hours overwrite - infinite allow append, it spans the 2 tapes ok.

If i set another job to run on these tapes i assume it will start at the first tape and overwrite whats there?

This all worked on backup exec 9.1 but not on 12.5. Is what i'm saying correct? what are your media set and job default?
Old 13 May 2009, 08:02 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The overwrite time on 12.5 starts from when you set the media set, NOT when you write data to the tape.

It's a flaming 'mare - and I only know this 'cos I had one of the projects engineers bitching about it when he was setting new jobs up.

The solution was to put everything into a scratch set available for overwrite and label them up afterwards.
Old 14 May 2009, 10:40 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

what about associating them with a media set or dont you need them now, they are all in scratch? If this is the case how does it know which tape to use, and will it append not overwrite?

everything in media sets with overwrite protect worked fine in 9.1, compression was much better...its doing my head in...

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 14 May 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 14 May 2009, 10:44 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it is in scratch and needed for a backup job it *should* get put into the appropriate media set when written to.

It will use a tape from the media set first, if one isn't available it will go to the scratch pool.