Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Microsoft SharePoint Help

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2009, 08:16 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microsoft SharePoint Help

Does anyone else use Microsoft SharePoint?

I am by no means a computer expert, but have set up a few simple but affective websites.

My question is, is it possible to set up SharePoint to look like a website and not just a load of listed documents without the use of extra dev tools / software as the system it is running on will not allow the upload of any further software. I have had a quick look about the administrator menus, but cant find anything...

Thanks in advance....
Old 13 May 2009, 10:19 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

yep - pretty sure you can introduce custom content for look and feel.

I have only fiddled with sharepoint - but its more aimed towards distributed content authoring across an enterprise than creation of personal websites.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:22 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony MY03WRX
Does anyone else use Microsoft SharePoint?

I am by no means a computer expert, but have set up a few simple but affective websites.

My question is, is it possible to set up SharePoint to look like a website and not just a load of listed documents without the use of extra dev tools / software as the system it is running on will not allow the upload of any further software. I have had a quick look about the administrator menus, but cant find anything...

Thanks in advance....
Hey, part of my "day-job" is a sharepoint designer for our companys intranet / extranet. You can indeed make it look like anything you like! Basically sharepoint is a big old ASP.NET application... because of these you get a MasterPage and CSS stylesheets.

The best tool I can recommend to change the look and feel of sharepoint is a microsoft product called SharePoint Designer. Its basically a fancy FrontPage application that connects direct to the sharepoint and lets you manipulate sharepoint in different ways... If your not very famililar with asp.net masterpages and html you can do a google search and find lots of free templates!

Hope that helps, give me a PM if you get stuck
Old 14 May 2009, 07:15 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys......will be playing with our site next week...only problem is, I am on an MoD system and they dont allow any downloads. So I only have the basic sharepoint installation.

wrxwill05 thanks for the offer of help....i might well be in touch