Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Bios password reset question

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2009, 07:19 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bios password reset question

I'm watching the below motherboard - but what's 'the security panel' mentioned in the ad?

And would the bios password be simple to reset - I'll have a go at most things computerwise (hence the need for a motherboard ) but never tried resetting a bios password (yet)

'This item is fully working and in excellent, as new, condition, however, the security panel and bios password have been set and will need to be removed for use'

Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S6120 Motherboard CP152870-Z5 on eBay, also, Motherboards CPUs, Laptop Accessories, Computing (end time 30-Apr-09 11:06:02 BST)
Old 26 April 2009, 08:44 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're brave replacing a laptop motherboard. It's not impossible but alot of effort depending on the model.

Resetting the bios password could be as simple as removing the battery (yellow thing) you can see in the picture for a few minutes. If that doesn't work then it's generally just a jumper to reset the password.

No idea on the security panel part.
Old 26 April 2009, 09:46 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The laptop developed a fault with the power suppy connection - common fault it seems. So it was either throw it out or try to fix it. I had to remove the motherboard to get to the power supply socket, managed to resolder it and got it all back together and it works. However, I've also discovered the other 'common fault' with the laptop. If you flex the motherboard there's a soldered joint on the motherboard that's renowned for drying out and being brittle - so now the backlight for the display doesn't work - arghh.