Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HTPC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2009, 10:45 AM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HTPC Problem

Have following spec for my HTPC -

AMD X2 4850e
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (oboard HD3200)
2gb Corsair RAM
500gb Samsung Spinpoint F1
Antec NSX 2480
LG Blu-Ray & HD Drive
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

Been working fine for a while now (apart from the hdmi sound handshake issues) but the other day whilst watching a blu-ray the display went off the TV - PC lights still on but no signal on TV. Turned off tv, checked leads tried again still no pic. Rebooted PC whilst on HDMI channel on TV and still saying no signal. Power lights come on PC and dvd-rom drive working but didnt seem to be booting properly.

Took PC upstairs and plugged in using my main PC leads - same problem, tried through VGA and DVI no joy.

Removed PSU from my upstairs PC (same PSU) and put it in the HTPC and it booted with just the hdd and mobo connected - fine i thought PSU is dead. Connected up the working PSU properly inc dvd-drive, fans etc to the HTPC and booted to check all ok but same problem

Put apparent faulty PSU into upstairs PC and working fine.

Tried again with just mobo and hdd connected to PSU - same problem. Reset BIOS, reseated memory still no joy it wouldnt boot. Took out memory and tried to boot - no beeps just did same thing, lights on fans spinning but goes nowhere.

Took it into work and had a play around with memory in different channels - moved both from 1&2 to 3&4 and it booted. Moved back to 1&2 and it booted! As i had already reseated memory night before i didnt think this was cause so updated bios and any drivers whilst in windows. Checked event viewer and nothing stood out.

Ran some updates and rebooted PC several times, checked health status and temps fine. Shut it down and took it home.

Reconnected up last night to HDMI cable, power lead, wireless mouse and keyboard and booted and.....same problem. No signal on TV and PC lights come on and fans spin etc but nothing coming through on TV.

Any ideas? im thinking a mobo problem but why it works one minute and not the next after no specific changes is odd and can only be explained by an intermittent mobo problem for me.
Old 17 April 2009, 01:39 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Er I think I'd read that the PSU from another PC was a specific change that *did* work/resolve the issue? Could it be the power the old PSU is pushing out? The other PSU you tried was OK, so maybe the older unit is degraded or dropping power for some reason (faulty).

Unsure about an onboard gfx chipset, but I have seen normal add-in PCI-E/AGP cards that require a seperate power source require decent PSU's putting out the right/correct power. Otherwise under powered and it produces symptoms similar to those you describe.

Your upstairs PC may not need the same power so the old PSU is able to supply enough hence it working (is it exactly the same spec?). I'd swap the PSU's again and try it out for a longer period test, then it if produces the same result replace the PSU.
Old 17 April 2009, 01:51 PM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
Er I think I'd read that the PSU from another PC was a specific change that *did* work/resolve the issue? Could it be the power the old PSU is pushing out? The other PSU you tried was OK, so maybe the older unit is degraded or dropping power for some reason (faulty).

Unsure about an onboard gfx chipset, but I have seen normal add-in PCI-E/AGP cards that require a seperate power source require decent PSU's putting out the right/correct power. Otherwise under powered and it produces symptoms similar to those you describe.

Your upstairs PC may not need the same power so the old PSU is able to supply enough hence it working (is it exactly the same spec?). I'd swap the PSU's again and try it out for a longer period test, then it if produces the same result replace the PSU.
Both PSU's are the same make and model.

I currently have the upstairs PC's PSU in the HTPC and has been in for last 2 days and getting same problems with that too.

So basically 2 PSU's that work fine in my upstairs PC both have same problems with the HTPC. And comparing the power usage id say the upstairs one requires more than HTPC on the basis it has mobo, 2 optical drives, 1 sata hdd, 2 case fans, seperate pci-e graphics card power, pci wireless card plus 4 usb devices. Whilst HTPC has mobo (45w energy saver), 1 optical sata drive and 1 sata hdd and 2 case fans and 1 usb device)

Tonight i need to check the speaker cable is in properly to see if im getting any post error beeps - if its not in and i am getting the beeps when no memory is in maybe it could be memory problem. Got some spare from work to test as well.