Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Your X-box....

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 09:33 AM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Ptholt - You've rattled my cage a bit as well - I'm not going to rise to the challenge (much)... But your shouting off saying peoples opinions don't count as they dont know what they're talking about is a bit unjustified, when you're doing exactly then same yourself... As it happens I have had access to an X-Box for a couple of weeks now - and it's just a personal opinion, so don't get @rsey but I still think the graphics look pants for a next gen console. The gameplay doesn't seem to cut the mustard either compared to Nintendo and Sony Games...

Oh, and did I mention the slow-down?

[Edited by Scrappy2 - 3/1/2002 10:13:26 AM]
Old 28 February 2002, 04:22 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Question

If you have an X-box, tell me whats good about it?
And not just how powerful it is, that doesnt mean $h1t if the games are no good, its all about the games.
And list some top games for it, and not Halo, Project Gotham or Dead or Alive 3.
Because i have searched the internet looking for info on the X-box and i understand how powerful it is, but to be honest, most games look crap apart from the ones i mentioned.
I have seen SSX Tricky, Tony Hawks etc and like i said, i was ready to pre-order the other day but i am shocked at the $hite line-up of games coming for the system.
I have a Ps2 and i know the ps2 has had problems (being very hard to develop games for) and the x-box is ment to be easy, so does that mean that you arent going to see much of an improvement in the look of x-box games in the future?
Dont think that im mister i love my ps2, like i said halo looks very impressive, and also that rally game.......
I think i will wait and see how it does in the uk, because from what i have heard, it hasnt been doing to well in Japan.
This is just my opinion but can anybody see the x-box doing well?
I just dont think it can compete with Ps2, what do you think?
Old 28 February 2002, 04:37 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

I agree with what u say - from what I've seen - everything looks a bit pants really - no decent games and the graphics are nothing to shout about... Everything looks TOO clean... Will wait till it's 200 quid and a semi decent set of games come out I think. I'll stick to my PS2 for now
Old 28 February 2002, 04:55 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

You've hit the nail on the head.

The launch line-up was dross. What you WILL find on X-Box is a boatload of Quake3 and Unreal-esque games, eg. Nobody Lives Forever, Soldier Of Fortune, Max Payne, but they don't float my boat.

It WILL get some top titles but don't hold your breath. The Japanese write the bulk of the top stuff in my opinion, and judging by how bad the Japanese release went if they do decide to port games to it, they'll get low priority compared to other systems.

-DV
Old 28 February 2002, 05:23 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

My local PC world have an X-Box system with a demo disc in, to play the launch titles. After a 10 minute play I am now considering getting a PS2 instead.

Very disappointed
Old 28 February 2002, 05:45 PM
Wheels
Scooby Regular

OK I have one and love it.

I have project gotham. Its awesome. The first game that awards you for driving like you want to! Drift corners get points, Get up on 2 wheels get points. The games about skill. Not only are the physics of the cars great but it also has car damage. You can scrape the paint, dent it bang it up.

Halo, Truely is a great game. I've spent countless hours on it and I still keep going back to it. Mega in every sense of the word. Some amazing thought has gone into this.

Silent hill 2. Everything the first was plus much much more. The enviroment is scary to say the least. The fog effects are stunning. This game compared to the PS2 it 10x better.

Blood Wake. play it and you will see why an Xbox is so much better.

Old 28 February 2002, 09:21 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I have to say the comments from people who don't own one or have even played on them for more than ten seconds are so far off the mark its laughable, a kind of computer version of the old evo vs scooby battles where people who havent driven both feel the need to justify there own purchases and put down the competition.

At xmas this year i had gamecube, ps2, pc and xbox.
The cube is lovely tho its still waiting for a killer game.
the pc is great but not good for a quick blast before you have to take the wife and kids shopping.
the ps2 became redeundant when the xbox and cube arrived and was sold last month as it just wasnt touched anymore, both the newer consoles are so much better and nicer. (and i had about 12-15 games for the ps2 before someone moans i hadnt got anything decent).

Theres a load of games at the following url that are forthcoming for the xbox that look VERY nice -
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/xbox2002/

as for comments like 'no decent games and the graphics are nothing to shout about' are hilarious, show me an fps that looks, plays and sounds as good as halo and i'll eat my richard burns cap. Try looking at Dead or alive 3 and tell me the graphics are crap! Your having a laugh!

Try checking out some of the reviews at IGN and see just how 'pants' the games are :-
Jet Set Radio Future 9.1 out of 10
WWF Raw 9.1 out of 10
Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission 9 out of 10
nhl 2002 9 out of 10
ssx tricky 9 out of 10
project gotham 8.8 out of 10
dead or alive 3 9.4 out of 10

and i havent even mentioned an fps game yet daz
which incidently :-
max payne got 8.9
halo 9.7

be interesting to see what rallisport challenge comes up like

If someone wants to really test one before they decide to purchase, feel free to pop round and have a go, i'd rather do that than let and let them have a proper go before people jump to instant conclusions that would appear wide of the mark and against those that have actually played it.
All my friends who've been round and played on mine have all left very impressed and about 90% wanted to buy mine off me on the spot!

Face facts, the ps2 has some killer games, the cube will have some killer games (i hope!) and so will the xbox.
The best console is usally the last one to market in my experience of the last 23 of years of gaming. How long it stays there though depends on user base and software support, something the poor old saturn and jaguar had very little of.

edited just to say i've just been to the ps2 page on ign (same version as the xbox page i went to for the above) and can only 4 games that scored 9 or above whereas the xbox has 7....... interesting at a glance benchmark.....

[Edited by ptholt - 2/28/2002 9:32:23 PM]
Old 28 February 2002, 09:42 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Talking

With the exception of Halo (which isn't even the kind of game I like) there isn't a single game that would make me buy an X-Box for.

Yes, its got SSX Tricky, and lots of other ports from PS2, etc..but I've done that finished the game, bought the t-shirt.

X-Box = PC ports so I'll be playing Rallisport Challenge for my PC shortly after you get it for X-Box!

;-)

-DV
Old 28 February 2002, 10:02 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

you hope daz, if ms have made digital illusions sign there xbox only contract like budgie did with halo and quite a fair few others have, it'll be a while before rallisport makes it to the pc.

At least untill all the launch hype has finished.

oo look, just got this from the digital illusions site, whats that bottom line say again............. -
Prepare yourself for a pure white-knuckle racing experience in Rallisport Challenge, coming only to the Xbox, Spring 2002.
Genre: Rally
Streetdate: Spring 2002
Publisher: Microsoft
Platforms: Xbox

[Edited by ptholt - 2/28/2002 10:02:46 PM]
Old 28 February 2002, 10:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I wonder how long until you can run X-box games on a PC. Can't be that hard.
Old 28 February 2002, 10:11 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

realistically it wont be that long, the supposed 'extra' chips from nvidia actually come on the top of the range geforce 4 cards, but pro won't be mainstream till gefoece 5 from what ive read.

By that time ps processors will be so far ahead of the xbox it'll probably walk it.
Old 01 March 2002, 09:21 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

FAO of PTHOLT......you are so obviously up your own ****........or you work for Microsoft....i compare you to the people on here that got SO upset over driven, because they cant admit that there are better cars than scoobies and get all upset and start boo-ing.
I happen to know some people in Japan and the U.S., and yes the x-box is doing ok-ish in U.S., BUT and this is a big BUTT , Japan has not welcomed it very well at all, they even made limited edition x-boxes for japan to try and get people to buy it.
Like i said, i understand how powerful it is, and it is early days, but admit it, it really has got alot of hard work to do.
FACT.
Old 01 March 2002, 09:33 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

There's already an X-Box emulator available. I have a copy of it, but no games to test it with.

Needs a pretty high spec grahics card to run it.
Old 01 March 2002, 10:11 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I've been unimpressed with what I've seen for X-Box up to now. Whie it is undoubtedly a fine machine, probably better than a PS2, it is not a huge leap forward enough to justify rushing out and getting one and ditching your PS2 Cube or whatever.

The graphics are nice, it runs quickly, but not massively so. Whilst Halo and DOA3 may be good titles, there is not much else. Obviously the good games will come with time, but persuading people to part with large amounts of cash for really not very much more is gonn ba a hard thing for Microsoft to do.
Old 01 March 2002, 10:17 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I wasn't being arsey, i was just stating some, what i thought were fairly obvious facts, I dont remember saying how powerful it was, i also mentioned that ps2 and all the others ALL have several games that are brilliant on each system and worth purchasing for.

I feel justified in my comments as i've owned about every games console machine on the market so feel lucky enough to be able to comment objectively rather than forming an opinion on screen shots and a sneak preview of a running title.

Putting something down on such a weak basis is fairly dim hence why i offered any interested parties the chance to play it.
The chap comparing me to the driven moaners has got the wrong end of the stick totally, im not saying the xbox is the best thing since the wheel was invented, im trying to point out that i think its one of the strongest machines out there for its current state when compared to those in the market currently (eg how many good games did the ps2 have 3-4 weeks before its launch? I could probably count them on one hand, the same can also be said for the cube).
Old 01 March 2002, 10:32 AM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

<yawn>
Old 01 March 2002, 10:42 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I gotta say inmho, I was looking at PSX2 got many friends who have them, I wasn't overly impressed with it, waited 6 months or whatever it is for Wipeout Fusion and it's pants, really Disappointed.

I've had the fortune of growing up with all sorts of hardware and consoles, I have also had the pleasure of playing PSX2, Gamecube, Gameboy advance (choice hehe) and Xbox all back to back, I would personally choose Xbox over any available console at the moment, I fould the playability excellent, the graphics out of this world, the list of games look choice, but thats only MY opinion....if you want to slate me for my opinion do so I really don't care as it's friday

Old 01 March 2002, 01:39 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Hey lay off PTHOLT, he's just expressing an opinion thats all.

He's very much for the X-Box, whereas a lot of us aren't. Thats ok, so long as we can have a balanced argument.

The Playstation 2 is now on its 3rd generation of games, and there's so much out there to choose from. Couple that with the 'alleged' price reduction at Easter to £135 and its a winner.

On the other hand if you want to tell your mates you have the most powerful console out at the moment (with no decent games) get an X-Box.

-DV
Old 01 March 2002, 02:16 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

I'm all for a fair argument - I just don't like being told I don't know what I'm on about from someone who doesn't even know me... ho hum, anyway as mentioned earlier - it is Friday
Old 01 March 2002, 02:33 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I wasnt being personal to your scrapster, just generalising, just like those above you were generalising how pants it was.

Which with hindisight both are incorrect

Old 01 March 2002, 10:32 PM
blaster
Scooby Regular

WELL, I'VE ORDERED AN XBOX FROM DIXONS AND WILL COLLECT IT IN 2 WEEKS TIME. I'VE PLAYED ON MY MATE'S PS2 AND THINK IT IS **** SO OPTED FOR AN XBOX - AT RELEASE IT ALREADY HAS 3 KILLER GAMES VS PS2'S "0". SURELY, THIS TELLS YOU SOMETHING ALREADY AND WHAT'S LINED UP ??
Old 04 March 2002, 07:52 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Talking

blaster = do you know anything?

*** dunt.
Old 04 March 2002, 05:46 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

My console is better than yours.....who gives a stuff!!!!!

EVER since the PS2 has been launched in Japan (which is when I bought mine), I have constantly thought it was a piece of junk. It has been over rated to the hilt. There is ONLY A HANDFUL of AAA+ titles for it. Sony have made the big mistake of living off the back of the PS1, which was an absolutley awesome console.

I don't care what console is the best, as I always buy any new console that comes out, if only to have the latest gadget.

I played my dreamcast more than my PS2. How people can slate a console and back-up another, when that console (PS2) has been one of the single most dissapointments ever.

TRUE, the JAP market has shown to shun the console......but anyone that thinks it will go the same way as the 3DO or Jaguar, is extremely niave.

I am neither pro XBOX, GC or PS2......BUT I have been disappointed with the PS2, as I feel Sony have conned everyone.

Why the hell has the PS2, never had another game like GT3???? Oh yeah, cause to make a game that plays and looks that good, takes a development time of about 3 years!!!!!!

At the end of the day, a console is only as good as it's games! The PS2 may well have that sorted at the moment (only due to the actual number available), but if you are really brave enough to count out what may happen with the Xbox.........assumption is the mother of all **** ups!!!!!

P.S. If Sony are that sure of the PS2's success over the Xbox, then why are they bringing forward the release of the PS3!!!!

The argument continues.

Old 04 March 2002, 08:23 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

I guess my issue with the Xbox was the constant drone of "you're gonna be blown away, you're gonna be blown away" but when I tried it out (DOA3, Halo and Project Gotham) I just wasn't. Not at all. I was so gutted having expected to be absolutely gobsmacked by the leap up from DC and PS2. I couldn't help but think that DOA2 and MSR on the DC were not really that much different. Like Shaun I also play my DC more than my PS2, and even the N64 more than the PS2. The only game I play on my PS2 is GT3, which is superb.

Will I get an Xbox? Almost certainly. GC? Not so sure. Will I buy my Xbox at launch - no 'kin chance. I'll wait for the price drop and the great games to come out.

IMHO it will take the magic of Sega's software to make the Xbox worth buying.

Hardware doesn't really interest me that much, and I'd love for one standard. Xbox is clearly the most powerful console out there, but without the best developers, we're still forced to buy Nintendo and Sony hardware if we want the best games.
Old 04 March 2002, 09:47 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Just wait, you'll see
Old 04 March 2002, 10:17 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

This week I am mostly playing...

Shen Mue II - on the Dreamcast, a console I have a huge soft-spot for.

I have my PS2 for Pro Evolution Soccer nights with the lads around.
I have my PC for Medal Of Honour.
I'll buy my GameCube for <insert any Miyamoto game here>
Can't see any game to buy an X-Box for (perhaps I should say "yet")
Old 04 March 2002, 10:21 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

you know you want rallisport challenge daz, so lets say 'yet'
Old 03 April 2002, 09:31 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

set it up holt, and I'll give you a real thrashing on it!

;-)

PS: They're releasing Geoff Crammond's GP4 on X-Box - now THAT'LL be good!

[Edited by DazV - 3/4/2002 10:33:29 PM]