Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cheapest way to get Vista?

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2009, 11:11 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest way to get Vista?

I need to up my PC from XP to Vista Business as it speeds up the latest vers of my editing app a lot more it seems. Trouble is I haven't taken much notice of Vista till now.

I see the OS on E-buyer for £160 Microsoft Windows Vista Business w/SP1 - Complete package - 1 PC - DVD - English International - Ebuyer but for an extra £150 I can get a PC thrown in too!!! Guess the disk that comes with a PC bundle (if any) would be no good for my current PC? {be nice to 'swop' and stick my old XP on the cheap PC for the kids...)

Do you choose to install a 64bit vers on install or is it 'native' 64bit? Any drivers issues do you think if its all 64bit?

Finally will my old but perfectly adequate Windows 2000 Word and Excel disk work within Vista?

Sorry so many q's!

Cheers

D
Old 21 March 2009, 11:42 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

All driver issues should be sorted now so you shouldn't have anyproblems the cheapest way is to d/l it but if you don't wanna do that then check the usual sites eBay, amazon etc.

£160 seems alot as windows 7 is around the corner possibly hold out till then
Old 21 March 2009, 11:56 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

If its an OEM version you cannot legally put it on another machine and under the current rules if it arrives not pre installed you legally don't own it.

AllanB
Old 21 March 2009, 12:09 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

You can buy a new OEM copy of Vista Business (110) and a new hard disk or memory upgrade (40) for your 150, equivalent to getting a free hdd/memory.

Loosely interpreting rules as opposed to breaking them.

dabs.com - OEM Software
Old 21 March 2009, 12:44 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

The cheapest route is via an academic/educational licence. The rules are extremely loose, so you can obtain a copy if you have a child of school age, or youre doing a course at night school...
Old 21 March 2009, 01:02 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*cough* Piratebay *cough*
Old 21 March 2009, 01:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Wow, when did it get so expensive? I bought Vista Ultimate OEM for £70 when it was released.

Steve
Old 21 March 2009, 03:37 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Best I've seen is £108 dabs4work - Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit OEM (66J-05523)

Guess this what I need? Wonder if they do an academic licence for a 'business' product.

Interesting what you can find on that torrent site coughed up above but I wouldn't entertain anything iffy on my work critical PC running over £5k's worth of heavily used and often temperamental software already. Now a ringtone or two is a completely different matter

A 64bit system will run 32 bit apps no bother wont it?

Thanks for the input.

D
Old 21 March 2009, 03:46 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

As per the link above, strictly speaking OEM has conditions so you need to buy something with it.

If the individual software license is a desktop operating system (including Windows XP Media Center Edition), we grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either (a) a fully assembled computer system or (b) a nonperipheral computer hardware component.

A “fully assembled computer system” means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
A “nonperipheral computer hardware component” means a component that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system on which the individual software license will be installed.
Old 21 March 2009, 04:00 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thx Hank.

I need a 1Tb external eSATA to archive/play video media and store old projects so getting in a HDD is no bother.

I am also thinking of installing a solid state HDD to run the new Vista OS Intel X25-m/kingston Ssdnow M Series 80gb Sata 2.5 Internal Ssd - Ebuyer - its is 100MBPS faster than my current stripe 0 OS pair! Access time would be blinding too! Is this genius or a crazy fool idea I wonder?

Its seems cheap compared to grossly expensive 32Gb camera cards Welcome to DS Video - SONY SBP-32 (SBP32 SBP 32) SxS Memory Card that are in the region of 50Mbps read/write.

Hmmmm???

D
Old 21 March 2009, 05:56 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Buy a business upgrade pack and do the double upgrade trick - it worked fine for my recent vista home premium install.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

I see the upgrade packs are about £50-£60 on Fleabay today.

Nick
Old 22 March 2009, 11:31 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
Buy a business upgrade pack and do the double upgrade trick - it worked fine for my recent vista home premium install.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

I see the upgrade packs are about £50-£60 on Fleabay today.

Nick
Cheers Butty - clever way to use a licensed product!!! That article was written in February 3, 2007 though. Does it definitely still work?

Thx
Old 23 March 2009, 09:24 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Cheers Butty - clever way to use a licensed product!!! That article was written in February 3, 2007 though. Does it definitely still work?

Thx
I also had my doubts due to the age of the link, but it worked perfectly last month.

nick