Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

POP mail help pls - so close!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2009, 10:05 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POP mail help pls - so close!!!

{sorry cant find the computer related forum)

Setting up my own diesel.com type mail and I've got it working of sorts - I can send from my diesel.mailserver to my gmail using Outlook Express as a client, but I cant seem to pull anything down into OE, and its the exact SAME settings for outgoing SMTP and incoming POP. It also seems to log on ok for a 'send/receive' command - no wobblies there.

So its all set up based on an adminxxx@diesel.com mailserver receiving address in the Outlook settings but obviously I use better aliases than that. I think I've pointed the 'info@diesel.com' addy to forward to 'adminxxx@diesel.com' within my mailserver CP but I still cant pull anything down on Outlook (the 2nd remaining auto forward to gmail still works). Cant pull in mail sent from gmail direct to adminxxx@diesel.com either.

Any ideas guys - especially as I was dead chuffed to even get this far!!!

D

PS names and domains may have been changed to protect my wallet!
Old 03 March 2009, 10:16 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Can you log in using this service and see the mail?

mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email
Old 03 March 2009, 11:46 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

If you're using Vista you may be experiencing this because of a "feature" which is supposed to improve networking, but actually causes more trouble tha it's worth, including breaking email. Give this a try.

SG FAQ :: How to disable Windows Vista TCP/IP auto-tunning ?
Old 04 March 2009, 12:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i think you need to stop all the forwarding thats going on for a moment -- it may be confusing the issue

can you send and receive using adminxxx@diesel.com

if you send email from adminxxx@diesel.com to gmails -- what does the return path say when you press reply from GMAIL
Old 04 March 2009, 01:56 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i think you need to stop all the forwarding thats going on for a moment -- it may be confusing the issue

can you send and receive using adminxxx@diesel.com

if you send email from adminxxx@diesel.com to gmails -- what does the return path say when you press reply from GMAIL
Thanks for the help guys. Still running XP thankfully. I need to check some suggestions when home, but meantime Hodgy, I CAN send and receive using admin40897@etc, HOWEVER I can not see what is received in OE, although, as I say, I can SEND through it using same settings.

The return path from g mail for a mail I send to it from OE is admin40897@etc.

It essentially 'works' but doesn't show incoming mail in the OE inbox. I know it works both in and out as it autoforwards to GMail the mail that isnt displayed in OE.

Also I'm right in thinking that to change the admin40897 user name I just change the name in the OE box to be 'info' or whatever yes? This just changes the displayed name or alias?

Cheers

D

Last edited by Diesel; 04 March 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04 March 2009, 02:12 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
I CAN send and receive using admin40897@etc, HOWEVER I can not see what is received in OE
How do you know you're receiving if you can't see it?
If you're pulling it down with a different program, it won't be on the server for OE to see.
Old 04 March 2009, 02:17 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
How do you know you're receiving if you can't see it?
If you're pulling it down with a different program, it won't be on the server for OE to see.
Its a forward to an external e-mail address (gmail) rather than a 'pull' mate. Same as all mail sent to 'info' is forwarded internally to 'admin' (which is what OE is configured to pull). Is this looking like I need to tick a 'leave all mail on server' type box though?

Talk about stabbing in the dark (without my glasses!).

D
Old 04 March 2009, 02:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ok so Hanks suggestion re mail2web is a good one as it will confirm your username and password settings

if you cant see your mail (i.e. download it to your POP client but it is still from what your saying is on the mailserver) using the above method then you may not be supplying the POP server the correct credentials usinng OE

you mail server does support POP i take it -- not all webbased mail servers do?
Old 06 March 2009, 02:07 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I can log in as adminxxx via webmail and I can send via webmail (although it comes up as 'adminxxx' on delivery and not one of the much nicer aliases). However there is no mail in the inbox ever (although as I say it does forward things that apparantley are received). I am loathe to delete the g-mail forward in case I lose mails, but it does look like it doesn't want to keep a copy of anything forwarded to an external address on my mailserver?
Old 06 March 2009, 02:19 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

A server forward will not leave anything in the mailbox (depending upon server config).
I use this method so I have several email addresses I use but only ever check one (IMAP) mailbox. I get all my mail, all the time, even on the move and don't have to worry about mailboxes filling up.

If you have a forward, don't be surprised if there's nothing in the inbox.
Old 08 March 2009, 06:39 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks Hank - that's what it was. I now populate my OE Inbox nicely with the forward off. However I have now lost the EXTREMELY useful forward to gmail function.

There seems to be 2 ways to set up a forward. A 'global' one via the third tab in my screen shot and the individual per alias way as shown in the same pic.

The individual way does not seem to forward to gmail however. Any ideas why?

Cheers and thanks.

D
Old 08 March 2009, 09:05 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

No idea I'm afraid but you could try sticking a second one in the list to see if it's the sending of it or the receiving of it where the problem is...?
Old 08 March 2009, 09:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hank -its some oddity of Gmail not wanting to receive a mail it just sent. Very odd - but the forwarding DOES work as I sent one from the missus' g mail, and that forwarded fine via my mailserver. ODD!!!

Job done I think and thanks for the help. D
Old 08 March 2009, 09:19 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Cool, re-reading the first post, should have had it then but got there in the end!!