Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Recommend me a router

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2009, 08:46 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a router

I currently have the router similar to in the advert below

Belkin Cable Wireless Router on eBay, also Cable Modems, ADSL Cable Modems Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 04-Mar-09 15:49:10 GMT)

I've had it 12 months ish, I find my internet connection quite slow in that when I download anything, even small things such as video's on Youtube the download never completes but seems to hang, this also happens when downloading itunes updates etc. I only have 2mb virgin broadband, but never have the same problem when the computer is wired directly to the modem.

I'm now wondering if it's posssible to get a better router which will give me a better connection and download speed particuarly as I now have my Wii connected to the internet as well and it's struggling to download as things stand.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated as always

Last edited by Jamescsti; 04 March 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03 March 2009, 09:33 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Couldent tell Why you are having this problem and in regards to what router is best for im sure plenty of advice will come along but please bare in mind that some router work better in some places and not so good in others and this is due to other devices interference (I have found problems with 2.4ghz video senders being to close) and the structure of a building. There are also plenty of reviews out there and you could do well to have a read on those.

Going back to your router all I can tell you is that I have fitted dozens without having the problem you mention (a few have dead since but belkin has always been good to replace even 3 years and over on!)

Personally If I thought the router was at fault I would get in touch with the manufactorer and not try and palm it off to someone else under the pretences that as per your advert as always worked good even though you say otherwise on here mate...it does not say good things about your caracter on here tbh

Best of luck on your quest though
Old 03 March 2009, 11:37 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I have to say that I had similar issues with another Belkin model, and their support was shockingly bad. Their suggestions for my wireless network issues ranged from buying high gain antennae even though sitting 18" from the router made no difference, to changing ISP! By the time I'd given up and decided to return it to the vendor for a refund it was too late, and Belkin wanted a fee up front to look at it, which would be refunded at their discretion. I bought a Netgear which has been brilliant.
Old 04 March 2009, 08:20 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Linksys WRT54GL 54Mbps Broadband Wireless-G Linux Router

or

NETGEAR KWGR614 Open Source Broadband Wireless-G Router

My experience with Belkin has been nothing but dreadful, those 2 above should give you better performance, never used the Linksys but people on Overclockers rave about it, changing the firmware makes it a better router

Old 04 March 2009, 08:22 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I only have 2mb virgin broadband, but never have the same problem when the computer is wired directly to the modem.
This would suggest wireless issue but how far away are you computers, does changing the channel help or moving things closer, I suspect it's a crap router to be honest but eliminate options first
Old 04 March 2009, 09:02 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mike1210
Linksys WRT54GL 54Mbps Broadband Wireless-G Linux Router

or

NETGEAR KWGR614 Open Source Broadband Wireless-G Router

My experience with Belkin has been nothing but dreadful, those 2 above should give you better performance, never used the Linksys but people on Overclockers rave about it, changing the firmware makes it a better router

Linksys: Used one of these for a year: it was CONSTANTLY dropping all it's settings, I spent nearly as much time on the phone to tech support as I did using the damned thing. Never again. Eventually binned it. An absolute PITA to set up too.

Belkin Bought to replace the above pile of crap, refused to work from the time it came out of it's box, even the shop couldn't get it to connect my lad's laptop, tried to blame the laptop. It went back the same day and was replaced by a

NETGEAR Worked first time, out of the box, connecting wife's laptop, kid's laptop, and with a bit of fiddling, eldest's X-Box.
Has worked for just over a year, so it's no longer in guarantee, THEN:
At Christmas, started to give trouble, droppping internet connection even to the hard-wired PC. This now happens regularly. A call to Netgear had them changing settings, updating firmware, but nowt worked. Finally the technician gave up and told me to expect a call from a senior tech, same day, (last saturday). I'm still waiting.

Either I'm VERY unlucky, (posssible), or they are all piles of crap
Old 04 March 2009, 09:20 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles

Either I'm VERY unlucky, (posssible), or they are all piles of crap
All fair points to be honest, forgot to mention that Draytek would be a better solution but costs a hell of a lot more, used to have a 2600G, well still do but my Cisco 877W beats it....but then it should considering the cost. Home routers can always be a bit hit and miss, I'm not normally a fan of Linksys (which is NOT a Cisco, yes it's in the name and a sub company but they are 2 different things and they don't run on Cisco IOS) but that particualr model I've only heard good things about. I've setup several Netgears and never had a problem but I have heard of them overheating over time and bricking in student houses who all run connection heavy stuff a la bit torrent.

Dont get me twisted im not knocking your answer at all as first hand experince is always worth posting
Old 04 March 2009, 09:35 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 High Power Wireless Broadband Router is one of the best Wireless-G cable routers on the market. If you are considering Wireless-N, then the D-Link DIR-655 is the one to choose. Added bonus with the DIR-655 is that it comes with a 11 year warranty!
Old 04 March 2009, 10:55 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Belkin are a royal PITA.

get any draytec product.

We currently use the 2820 @ work & it's ace.
Old 04 March 2009, 12:08 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by agent003
Couldent tell Why you are having this problem and in regards to what router is best for im sure plenty of advice will come along but please bare in mind that some router work better in some places and not so good in others and this is due to other devices interference (I have found problems with 2.4ghz video senders being to close) and the structure of a building. There are also plenty of reviews out there and you could do well to have a read on those.

Going back to your router all I can tell you is that I have fitted dozens without having the problem you mention (a few have dead since but belkin has always been good to replace even 3 years and over on!)

Personally If I thought the router was at fault I would get in touch with the manufactorer and not try and palm it off to someone else under the pretences that as per your advert as always worked good even though you say otherwise on here mate...it does not say good things about your caracter on here tbh

Best of luck on your quest though

Mate, the Ebay advert isn't mine! I just used it as an illustration of the router I have, maybe it wasn't the best place to source a picture, but I can assure you that I am not selling my router on Ebay! (my ebay name is jamesc2004cars) Thanks for your other comments though.

Edited to add
My laptop and Wii are both in the same room as the router.

Last edited by Jamescsti; 04 March 2009 at 12:12 PM.