Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Games console reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 06:03 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Games console reliability?

I'm considering buying a games console in the next few weeks, I've not had one since the original Xbox.

I'm looking at the Xbox 360 and the PS3 or as an outside chance the Wii.

What concerns me is the problems these new consoles have.

How reliable are is the Xbox 360 now? I would buy the new black one with the bigger hard drive and HDMI connection, but i've heard of the "rings of death" whatever they are?

The other option is the PS3 but does that suffer from problems too?

If they both turn out to have regular problems I might get a Wii, My parents have one which is good fun, but i'd mostly use it when i'm home alone and I see the Wii as being more of a social thing?

Any views appreciated?
Old 23 February 2009, 10:21 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

PS3 & Xbox360 are both extremely powerful, but generate a lot of heat. Conversely, f you look inside the Wii, any performance it has, is generated from a small unassuming hamster running around a wheel, along with a few elastic bands.

Microsoft have had time to fine tune the Xbox360, shrinking the processor and gpu down so they generate less heat and require less power.

As I currently own both Ps3 and Xbox360, I'd recommend the Xbox x360 on the basis its better value, and offers an identical gaming experience.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 23 February 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 23 February 2009, 11:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
As I currently own both Ps3 and Xbox360, I'd recommend the Xbox x360 on the basis its better value, and offers an identical gaming experience.
+1

I've also got both, and use the 360 far more than the PS3. I find multi-platform stuff tends to run better on the 360, and the online service is definitely superior. No real problem with the reliability of the new units.
Old 24 February 2009, 12:32 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

I also run both systems and use the 360 more for gaming

But the PS3 urinates all over the 360 when used as a media center .
Old 24 February 2009, 03:49 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
How reliable are is the Xbox 360 now? I would buy the new black one with the bigger hard drive and HDMI connection, but i've heard of the "rings of death" whatever they are?
MS have made changes to the latest Xbox's, so they are supposedly more reliable and less prone to the RROD. Whether there's any real evidence of this yet I don't know.

All the new models have an HDMI connector, only the Elite comes with the cable though.

The Elite has a 120GB hard drive, the Premiuim now has 60GB, up from 20GB.

Dave.
Old 24 February 2009, 03:58 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

they both have there issues but the xbox is better for gaming.

wouldnt say the ps3 is better as a media center either infact i think the ps3 is a failure
Old 24 February 2009, 03:58 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
+1

I've also got both, and use the 360 far more than the PS3. I find multi-platform stuff tends to run better on the 360, and the online service is definitely superior. No real problem with the reliability of the new units.
Same story for me PS3 and 360 Elite owner. Had no problems with either but the 360 gets used a lot more than my PS3
Old 24 February 2009, 04:14 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I have both 360 and PS3 and would recomend the PS3. Online gaming if free, built in wireless, the games are graphicaly the same give or take. The PS3 is better as a media player and the added bonus of blu-ray player
Old 24 February 2009, 04:20 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again being a user of both, i'd recommend the Xbox360 as only an ***-hole would buy a PS3 over one.

your post refers to you getting a Games Console not a media server, not a blu-ray player, not a micro-wave but a machine for playing games thus as Spock said in the Wrath Of Khan i believe "The 360 is the logical choice"
Old 24 February 2009, 04:24 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abbott

Apart from having a Blu-Ray player, what is better about the PS3?

(genuine question as I haven't used a PS3)

Steve
Old 24 February 2009, 04:28 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys, I do lean towards the Xbox 360 as it does seem much better value.
I'm not completely sold on Blue-ray yet, I tend to go to the cinema or buy dvd's when I can pick them up cheap, so will probably look to buy a stand alone Blue ray player in a few years when my own dvd player dies.
Only reason I was considering buying a PS3 was as I was worried about 360 reliability but if new ones are better then that might just sway me
Old 24 February 2009, 04:32 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

unfortunately James i have had 4(i think) Xbox 360's 3 were premiums which all went faulty in under 4months and i have no got an Elite which i've had for 18months maybe longer and it has never skipped a beat!
Old 24 February 2009, 04:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've found that my standalone player gives a better picture than my PS3 when playing back blu-ray discs, (I know because I've recently bought a standalone player in addition to my PS3). I think sony use some pretty cheap hardware in the console which may explain the difference. Not saying PS3 playback is bad, but standalone definitely makes it look inferior...

MY 1st 360 (launch day console) was replaced/repaired 14 times!!! I bought an Elite about a year ago, and it's been 100% bulletproof. As already said, MS have pretty much got on top of the reliability problems now. Just make sure you keep it in a nicely ventilated area (i.e. don't sit it on carpet, or in a cupboard). Mind you, those recommendations work for the PS3 as well
Old 24 February 2009, 04:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

can i just add that playing games online on the PS3 is pointless especially if your using a blue-tooth headset as you probably wont beable to understand or make out anything. I really hate my PS3 with a passion if i'm honest. Worst Purchase Ever and i bought an Alfa Romeo last year too!
Old 24 February 2009, 04:58 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

No need for calling me an ***-hole, I was mearly pointing out some benifits of the 2 consoles, after all there more than just consoles, they are both media players, I feel the PS3 does this better, the games play pretty much the same on both systems
Old 24 February 2009, 05:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

ron- don't worry nobodies perfect you don't need to explain your choices in life
Old 24 February 2009, 05:25 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Suppose your right, after all you drive an Alfa Ro-gahay-o
Old 24 February 2009, 05:35 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Exactly
Old 24 February 2009, 05:53 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

i am a owner of both and also a wii and i will say that the ps3 is by far a better machine all round. i play the ps3 all the time now and part of this is down to the number of xbox's i have had/repaired. i was not happy with the back up from xbox cos they took 2 months to return my xbox once.

i have had 5 xbox's now and 1 elite and all failed, i still use the xbox for gears of war but thats it.

i have not had a problem with the ps3 and it is a launch day one as well and i love the ps3.

the wii tho is great for friends and famliy not so good on your own.

go for the ps3
Old 24 February 2009, 10:15 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

The hiccups with the use of the 60gb PS3 are my internet freezes (setup as wireless so that maybe why).Playstationstore aint the best in the world and if you don't like it go to a shop and buy a game.Download and install times of games, updates etc vary between each PS3.So far i haven't had a game freeze on me yet.
Old 24 February 2009, 10:23 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

ive had 2 xbox's since 2006 and none of them have broke ,never missed a beat only problem i had with one was it wouldnt read discs sometimes so i took it back and they gave me another .
if this ever breaks ill simply buy another as they are dirt cheap nowadays
Old 26 February 2009, 01:25 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Okay I currently own all 3 here is a run-down to give you a pros and cons on each from my perspective:

XBox360:

Pros; Set-up and go gameplay, Talk to you your mates with supplied in the box headset, updates to games quick, updates to the console quick and infrequent, games relatively in-expensive, a variety of games which you cannot buy for the PS3.

Cons: Can suffer failure depending on model, 2 weeks turn-a-round time for a warranty fix with MS. Can be noisy, costs C. £40 a year for on-line gameplay; no web browsing capability.

PS3:

Pros; Gamepads have built in re-chargeable batteries and can be charged directly from the console, Web browsing capability, a variety of games which you cannot get on the XBOX360, ability to watch DVD and Blu-Ray films, both LAN and Wireless connectivity to the Web, free playstation on-line gaming.

Cons; Game updates take for-ever, System updates are frequent and can take a while to download and process, front screen a bit clunky (Same as PSP), To talk to your mates on-line means additional cost of bluetooth ear set and some cases additional settings in some games setting to talk.

A few there off the top of my head. But overall I'm always on the XBOX360 followed second by the Wii and PS3 last if I have the time and can be bothered.
Old 26 February 2009, 01:30 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Dont x boxes need a aditional wi fi adapter thingy - PS3 has it built in
Old 26 February 2009, 01:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Dont x boxes need a aditional wi fi adapter thingy - PS3 has it built in
That's correct. The 360 gives you the option of whether you want one or not, whereas the PS3 forces you to have it whether you want it or not

Personally, I find the wireless to be pretty useless when using either machine as a media extender. Wireless is just too slow for streaming HD video.
Old 26 February 2009, 02:47 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

They now do the 360 in a limited RROD Edition

*It's actually a Resi Evil Ltd Edition, looks awful tbh
Old 26 February 2009, 04:17 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Thanks for the input guys, I do lean towards the Xbox 360 as it does seem much better value.
I'm not completely sold on Blue-ray yet, I tend to go to the cinema or buy dvd's when I can pick them up cheap, so will probably look to buy a stand alone Blue ray player in a few years when my own dvd player dies.
Only reason I was considering buying a PS3 was as I was worried about 360 reliability but if new ones are better then that might just sway me
If reliability is such an issue for you then don't get a 360. It is guaranteed to break - all of mine have.

Other than that there's not really much difference between the two other than the fact that Sony force you into paying for everything up front (wi-fi, free online etc all factored in to the price) and MS let you buy it cheap originally and choose what extra stuff you want.

The main question is what games do you want? If they are all multi format get a 360.
Old 26 February 2009, 05:49 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
can i just add that playing games online on the PS3 is pointless especially if your using a blue-tooth headset as you probably wont beable to understand or make out anything. I really hate my PS3 with a passion if i'm honest. Worst Purchase Ever and i bought an Alfa Romeo last year too!
I don't have any problems with bluetooth headset on mine, I can hear everyone clearly enough

Maybe you are using a cack headset?

I will admit, if I am not using a headset, other people talking isn't very clear, but some are. I would have thought the difference is down to either the headset or their connection, but voice was always an issue when I used to game on PC, so I don't see it as a PS3 only issue?

Geezer
Old 26 February 2009, 06:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abbott

Please quantify that statement?

My xbox plays mp3's and media streams music & video wirelessly

if the PS3 does the same, how can that be urinating over it?

Mart
Old 26 February 2009, 06:43 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
That's correct. The 360 gives you the option of whether you want one or not, whereas the PS3 forces you to have it whether you want it or not

Personally, I find the wireless to be pretty useless when using either machine as a media extender. Wireless is just too slow for streaming HD video.
What?

I stream HD wirelessly whilst my other half is on the lappy surfing..

in 3 hrs of movie watching a got 2 stutters, i get that normally on non hd stuff as well.

Mart
Old 26 February 2009, 07:24 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I love these threads. They always cause conflict no matter how placid the question is!!

For the record I have 360 and a Wii. Of those two the Xbox wins hands down. I don't have hands on experience of the PS3 but I hear the online experience is awful in comparison to the 360.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned already but the 'Ring Of Death' has a 3 year warranty with Microsoft so that would be repaired free of charge.

I always recommend people buy from Tesco, GAME or Gamestation as they have a no questions asked 1 year warranty and will swap for new no hesitation. I made the mistake of buying a console from Blockbuster and when it developed a fault after 8 months I was ****ed!!

Go with the 360 mate, you will love it!!!

Quick Reply: Games console reliability?