Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Does graphics card affect static image quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2009, 06:27 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does graphics card affect static image quality?

Hi,

I am suffering from buyer's remorse before I have even got my new computer. I have ordered a new Dell Precision Workstation with dual nVidia NVS 290 graphics cards. The more expensive option was dual nVidia FX570 cards. The more expensive cards are designed for 3D work and are generally more powerful.

I am going to be running four 24" monitors from this machine. I will only be running charting software on it for trading, so it is not graphically intensive. The NVS 290 cards have a digital output of 1920x1200 which is the resolution of the monitors I will be using, so all seems to be well.

My question is this though - for general non-demanding graphics, does a more powerful card mean you get a better, sharper image, or are they just for producing better moving graphics (as in they are smoother etc)?

Am I right to think that as long as my graphics card can display the required resolution I am OK?

Looking for reassurance here as I can't change the order now (computer is being shipped as we speak!). Thanks.
Old 09 February 2009, 06:39 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK for static apps all that matter are: the quality of the screen (not just the res) and making sure you're running fully digital: digital output from the card, digital lead, as well as the (obviously) digital monitor.

M