Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

can i share printers

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 09:39 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i share printers

if so what do i need

i have two separate pc's which are networked (windows file sharing) via cables through a netgear modem/router which is also used to access tinternt. i can file share succesfully from both pc's

one pc is wired to an A4 printer and the other pc is wired to an A3 printer.

none of the pc's or printers are wireless enabled.

both pc's have both printer's software/drivers loaded and print succesfully when directly wired to each printer

what i would like to do is print to both printers from both pc's without swapping cables or transferring to the other pc.

is this possible?

cheers

Last edited by dicky ticker; 22 January 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 22 January 2009, 09:44 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

if you've already got file sharing enabled then you'll have the print sharing enabled too. Can't remember the details exactly but it should just be a case of right-clicking on the printer icon, selecting properties and then finding the appropriate section that allows you to share it. You do have to have the pc on in order to send a print job to the printer that's connected to it though if that makes sense?
Old 23 January 2009, 12:53 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobymad555
if you've already got file sharing enabled then you'll have the print sharing enabled too. Can't remember the details exactly but it should just be a case of right-clicking on the printer icon, selecting properties and then finding the appropriate section that allows you to share it. You do have to have the pc on in order to send a print job to the printer that's connected to it though if that makes sense?
Yeah Seconded. You use File & print sharing in your network option. Then it's just a case of searching for the printer in the add/printer option and point it to where it lives on your network. Google is your friend
Old 23 January 2009, 08:37 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

thanks for the help