Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Need some workarounds for a company's IT policy

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 06:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some workarounds for a company's IT policy

I am using an office with a LAN i plug my lappy into......thats all fine, BUT there are all sorts of restrictions they impsoe on their staff (i'm not staff but still have the same issues)

The main one is that my mobile me account cant sync so my iphone is no use, nor does my outlook work when it tries to download from the IMAP iphone account (few other things, my mobile back up's no good either) Basically, i can get on IE but anything that uses the internet to work...doesnt.

So...does that sound right that those things would be stopped?

Can i get a 3g card and ONLY use it for downloading emails and syncing my contacts with outlook and mobile me or will it not work while i'm using IE on their LAN?

Can i (physicallly) get ADSL fitted to my office line? It's a "press 9" for a line thing (PBX?) so can i get ADSL on that extension in my office?

They know little and their IT guys dont know much either!
Old 21 January 2009, 06:25 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

if it's a long term fix, you are probabily better off getting one of those USB internet dongle wigdets that's being advertised at the mo.

be useful to have outside work.

If you value your job, i'd speak to a techic there and get their approval.

There is probabily a reason it's locked down.

Your probabily better off argueing your case as to why you need connectivity - rather than bypassing their security.

If you are connected to the web insecurely & on their LAN at the same time - it could be potentially dangerious (and costly) should something nasty get onto / out of their network.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 21 January 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 21 January 2009, 06:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

hmmm.....so the LAN and 3g thing is out the question.

In a big building (i'm on the 1st floor).....there are loads of floor sockets where phones and LAN connections live. If i wanted my own private line could BT use those or are they more likely to all route back to the PBX exchange?

If it's easy they'd give me my own line and i can put adsl on it......but not if it means BT would have to run a huge lead from the street, through the building, to my room.

also - why would outlook not work? it runs 2 pop3 accounts and my IMAP mobile me (apple) account......i get that the outgoing server details for the pop3 would be different (the are set up for my home network) but it just seems to fall over compleety when i open it on their LAN????

Last edited by Tiggs; 21 January 2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 21 January 2009, 06:46 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It is possible to do what you ask (Broadband to a telephone socket) but you can't do it. The company would have to take another line with BT then that would have to be patched to the floor socket.

If you just want to 'play' then a 3G card is good (that is what I use) but you will have to disable the local lan first, connect, download, then reconnect the lan.

Steve
Old 21 January 2009, 06:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yeah, thats no good as i need constant net access while my outlook is also working.

is the company "taking" another line a simple exercise for them fr does that involve a phone engineer and all sorts of fiddling? (i want an idea before i ask them in case they say it sounds too much hassle....but it isnt!)

cost doesnt matter as i'd pay....it's just knowing if it's a lot of hassle for them......and once i have a wireless router i'll hire it's use out to others in the office to use instead of teh LAN and get my money back

theres a few of us that are given offices there but dont work for the place )we just give them lots of business so they give us free offices)....we just have the restricted LAN that the people who do work there have to put up with.

did new thread as i think this is a pbx issue

Last edited by Tiggs; 21 January 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 21 January 2009, 10:03 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

it's not a pbx issue - posted in your other thread too though i didn't detail the network solution so i'll do it here lol! It is a network issue. The reason your stuff doesn't work is because it's being blocked by a firewall, specifically its the "ports" that are being blocked in this case.

Given that you're not employed by the company and there are several others in the same circumstance, it would seem logical to restructure the network connections slightly. You need a connection made to their DMZ or preferably the Untrusted side of their network. That connection will allow you full unrestricted access to whatever you want. Take that single connection and run to either a switch or a wireless device and share it as you like. Be careful charging people for the connections though since there's certain legal issues regarding that

It's that or two other alternatives - (1) get them to open the ports you need and create exceptions in their firewall for the sites you need access to : Unlikely to happen, if it were my network i'd tell ya where to jog onto lol! (2) Some companies offer their mail services etc on other ports that aren't usually blocked by firewalls (the ports you're currently trying to use are normally blocked by default in most commercial applications) so you may be able to gain access by reconfiguring your machine to address the mail server on a different port - your mail provider can advise you on this

hope that helps
Old 21 January 2009, 11:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

been reading up.....would "proxifier" sort the problem?
Old 22 January 2009, 12:27 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

It's operational theory is technically sound and it "may" work .... depends how good the system & network admins are in that company tbh. If it's a system that's designed and maintained properly then i'd expect it to fail miserably to be blunt. Certainly i can guarantee it wouldn't work on any system designed by myself or a large percentage of the administrators i've worked with over the years.

Besides, why pay for something that you could get from a conversation? - the network admin shouldn't have any issues with yourself and others (external from the company obviously) using the untrusted side of the network ..... in a backwards way it's almost exactly what it's for - traffic that you don't want in your internal network. It's also pretty simple to set up for someone that knows what they're doing - as in 10mins work including the ciggy before they start lol!
Old 22 January 2009, 12:45 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

and the "untrusted" side wont go through a proxy then?
Old 22 January 2009, 01:00 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

so long as they're running a standard internal proxy then no it wont - untrusted is in effect a direct connection to the outside world i.e. no proxy and no firewall. If they're running through an externally supported firewall & proxy then you'll be screwed anyway cos that proxifier setup defo wouldn't work

My approach would be untrusted setup first (which is free so its a bonus) and if that doesn't work then it'd be direct line from BT ..... not too sure what the cost is of a single line into a commercial site these days but i suspect it may vary depending on the buildings existing services anyway - i.e. if there's a spare pair on one of the incoming cables etc then it may be cheaper than if they had to bring a fresh line from nearest road termination point.