Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Far Cry 2 - opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2009, 02:49 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Far Cry 2 - opinions ?

Just wanted to ask everyone who's played it what they thought. I've just finished Dead Space, which I loved, and started Far Cry 2 and although I'm in the early stages, I'm finding it all a bit boring and lacking in pace.

Is it worth perservering ?
Old 15 January 2009, 02:55 PM
ScaldedCat
Scooby Regular

Don't waste any more of your time playing it! I've done about four or five hours of it so far, and it has become such a monotonous chain of repetitive and frustrating events that I can't bring myself to put it back into the PS3.

It just doesn't get any better as the game progresses, and the stupid way you can empty an entire clip into someone at point-blank range while they still stand there unaffected is irritating (not to mention being able to entirely repair a vehicle by simply tightening a bolt on the radiator).
Old 15 January 2009, 02:56 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Was tempted myself with far cry after I finished dead space im also unsure

Curently playing siren blood curse (like a silent hill game)
Old 15 January 2009, 03:01 PM
ScaldedCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Was tempted myself with far cry
Understandable, especially if you've played the original Far Cry (which IMHO was brilliant on the PC).

FC2 is one of those games that promises so much, yet was clearly released before the developers could thicken up the game experience sufficiently or even add enough content that adds variation.

I'm just pleased I only borrowed it off a mate, rather than actually paying any money for it...
Old 15 January 2009, 03:02 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Absolutely f'ing rubbish!
Old 15 January 2009, 03:16 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Absolutely f'ing rubbish!
This
Old 15 January 2009, 03:42 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

lol I've played the first 30 mins and left with a felling of meh

was going to pick it up again but might give it a miss now.
Old 15 January 2009, 03:48 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

so why we're the reviewers giving it such glowing comments - were they payed off again by the game's publishers ?!?!

oh well, I've never played Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or Fallout 3, so I might give them a try. I loved Fable II, so I've been told I'd enjoy Oblivion.
Old 15 January 2009, 03:53 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Oblivion is a very different game to Fable, (much more serious) and not exactly cutting-edge any more, but good non the less. I lost over 140 hours to it...

I just picked up Far Cry 2 cheap (£10). Thought it was worth a punt at that price - now I'm not so sure. Will have to give it a go this weekend
Old 15 January 2009, 03:54 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I loved Fable II .... oblivion put me to sleep
Old 15 January 2009, 04:07 PM
Stefanie

lucky you Iain, I loved the first one and got this at release so paid full wack, then immediately went half price (this was at the time of vat drop/start of credit crunch). Looks really nice but monotonous. very disappointed.
Old 15 January 2009, 04:07 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I'm just downloading Knothole Island add-on for Fable II now. Apart from that, I haven't got much else to get on with. Will have a look at metacrtic and see what's been well received.
Old 15 January 2009, 04:59 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Struggling to get into FC2 myself - map is so big you have to drive, but being in a car makes you a sitting duck - especially when you get to checkpoints that you've already cleared...

Not a patch on the first game - granted it looks good and the fire effects are impressive, but it's too big for it's own good.
Old 15 January 2009, 05:07 PM
Stefanie

im finding it like burnout paradise, im constantly looking at the map to see where im going while driving...

ive been doing side missions, haven't done (found) main missions, may be thats the problem...

Last edited by Stefanie; 15 January 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 15 January 2009, 07:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i keep seeing used copy's in the game store, but can not bring myself to pick one up.

it is one of them things where i want to play it, but i know i will be disappointed with it, will wait until its around £5 lol, the local games shop seams to be having a drought of decent used games at the moment, picked up a used copy of "Viking Battle of Asgard" the other day instead, which seams ok, its not a RRP game by any means but for £12 i have had a few decent hours from it so far
Old 15 January 2009, 10:22 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I got bored just sat there in the taxi at the start! I completed the introduction section and returned it to my mate. Not impressed at all.
Old 16 January 2009, 01:25 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UKSC
Don't waste any more of your time playing it! I've done about four or five hours of it so far, and it has become such a monotonous chain of repetitive and frustrating events that I can't bring myself to put it back into the PS3.

Youre lucky, Id finished CoD4 in five hours: at least youve got a bit more quantity.....
Old 16 January 2009, 09:17 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
so why we're the reviewers giving it such glowing comments - were they payed off again by the game's publishers ?!?!

oh well, I've never played Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or Fallout 3, so I might give them a try. I loved Fable II, so I've been told I'd enjoy Oblivion.
Because they are reviewed by idiots and from a perspective that you have never played another game in your entire life.
Old 16 January 2009, 12:40 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'll try and give a more 'balanced' review for you.

Pro's - freeform world, there is little scripting and some of the firefights you get into are just great (cliffside village is one of the best)
Immersive (if you take the time to get into it), you really get a feel for a world existing independently of you (listening on conversations and then blowing them up when they've finished is fun)
Good scripted moments as well - when you get a 'good' rep and point a gun at someone their reaction is great.

Cons
VERY VERY repetitive. Go out in car, kill LOADS of bad guys, kill bad guy for mission, drive back, kill LOADS of bad guys in the same damn place as the way out. Repeat ad nauseum
Insta-spawn mercs - you drive out somewhere and 2 minutes later the roadblock you blew the living hell out of is all fixed and all the mercs are back. Every return trip takes twice as long as it should.
Console roots - apologies console owners, but when the p.c. game has unlocks for somewhere to save your game when you have quick save, just smacks of lazy coding.
Plus - hunting for diamond packs. Wha???? It's like the achievements you get on console games... it's so transparent that it breaks the reality that they are trying to achieve.

I finished it, and was unimpressed overall, but there are golden moments in the game that make it almost worthwhile. Lobbing a grenade into an ammo dump and having bullets whizz everywhere killing half the guards and then having a fuel drum blow up which causes a chain reaction and half the damn village goes up with it killing the REST of the guards; while you sit back and enjoy the sight and screams is just marvellous.
Plus the first sunset / sunrise you see REALLY is amazing.

Personally I'd like it if you could do a co-op game with a mate and attack the targets together - now THAT would be good.
Old 16 January 2009, 01:27 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I'll try and give a more 'balanced' review for you.

Pro's - freeform world, there is little scripting and some of the firefights you get into are just great (cliffside village is one of the best)
Immersive (if you take the time to get into it), you really get a feel for a world existing independently of you (listening on conversations and then blowing them up when they've finished is fun)
Good scripted moments as well - when you get a 'good' rep and point a gun at someone their reaction is great.

Cons
VERY VERY repetitive. Go out in car, kill LOADS of bad guys, kill bad guy for mission, drive back, kill LOADS of bad guys in the same damn place as the way out. Repeat ad nauseum
Insta-spawn mercs - you drive out somewhere and 2 minutes later the roadblock you blew the living hell out of is all fixed and all the mercs are back. Every return trip takes twice as long as it should.
Console roots - apologies console owners, but when the p.c. game has unlocks for somewhere to save your game when you have quick save, just smacks of lazy coding.
Plus - hunting for diamond packs. Wha???? It's like the achievements you get on console games... it's so transparent that it breaks the reality that they are trying to achieve.

I finished it, and was unimpressed overall, but there are golden moments in the game that make it almost worthwhile. Lobbing a grenade into an ammo dump and having bullets whizz everywhere killing half the guards and then having a fuel drum blow up which causes a chain reaction and half the damn village goes up with it killing the REST of the guards; while you sit back and enjoy the sight and screams is just marvellous.
Plus the first sunset / sunrise you see REALLY is amazing.

Personally I'd like it if you could do a co-op game with a mate and attack the targets together - now THAT would be good.
thanks for that

Coming off the back of Dead Space, I found the pace really slow and hard to get into. Really I just wanted to know if it was worth the slow opening but by all accounts, save for the odd parts, it doesn't seem so.
Old 16 January 2009, 03:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Youre lucky, Id finished CoD4 in five hours: at least youve got a bit more quantity.....
What difficulty?

i did it again just before new year on the next one down from Veteran, and i was screaming at the screen for around 2 hours trying to do the "no fighting in the war room" level
Old 16 January 2009, 03:11 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Idont class myself as a hardcore gamer, but i bought Fallout 3 and FC2 at the same time, i have finished Fallout 3 twice now on different levels and am now going back to do side missions etc, whereas i only played a couple of hours on FC2, i just got more and more frustrated with it !
Old 16 January 2009, 03:13 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

^ sneaky edit
Old 16 January 2009, 03:13 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ian - you want to go back and edit that? It makes no sense
Old 16 January 2009, 05:20 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

lol yeah i was on the phone while i was typing it, and typed the wrong thing first time round lol already edited it
Old 16 January 2009, 11:56 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Originally Posted by UKSC
Understandable, especially if you've played the original Far Cry (which IMHO was brilliant on the PC).
Agreed!

I played the original FC on the Pc and it really was a brilliant game, one that after completing you could wack on hard and get stuck in, knowing exactly what you could get away with stealth wise some cracking levels and overall a great game IMO

After grabbing a copy of the new FC2 (all be it for the Ps3) i was absolutly shocked at how sh1te it was, and how far-away it was from the 1st offering

Pile of crap IMO

Ps, anyone intrested in buying a mint copy for the Ps 3, i have one right here
Old 17 January 2009, 11:28 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
What difficulty?

i did it again just before new year on the next one down from Veteran, and i was screaming at the screen for around 2 hours trying to do the "no fighting in the war room" level
I did a couple of Act1 missions on all levels last night apart from the very hardest and they didnt take any longer. One was actually shorter because I wasnt cocking about...
Old 17 January 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

I built myself a PC to play Far Cry and absolutely loved it. What a game, immense graphics, brilinat gameplay and fab storyline, the game had it all... i eagerly awaited FC2.

FC2.
I keep on trying but i just cant get into it at all, it just seems, boring somehow, even though as Kieron rightly says, it has all the bits you need, just some repetetive parts seem to spoil it too much.

Upgraded the PC heavily too so im now hacking into Crysis warfare and Fallout II. Any other suggestions of good games of this ilk well recieved.
Old 17 January 2009, 01:40 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

It's probably worth mentioning at this point that Far Cry 2 has nothing to do with Far Cry 1, apart from the title itself. The team responsible for the first game parted ways with the publisher and went on to create Crysis.

Far Cry 2 on the other hand is written by a completely different developer, under the Ubisoft banner.
Old 17 January 2009, 06:12 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
It's probably worth mentioning at this point that Far Cry 2 has nothing to do with Far Cry 1, apart from the title itself. The team responsible for the first game parted ways with the publisher and went on to create Crysis.

Far Cry 2 on the other hand is written by a completely different developer, under the Ubisoft banner.
That explains an awful lot !

Quick Reply: Far Cry 2 - opinions ?