Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best deals on Playstation 3?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2009, 12:04 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best deals on Playstation 3?

Looking to buy a PS3 shortly, have been looking around for the best deal.

Has anyone seen any excellent prices?

Ta muchly
Old 15 January 2009, 12:50 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

The cheapest I found when looking recently was £291 at HMV online with 3 games. I ended up getting one off eBay with 5 games( pro evo, GTA4, Gt5, metal gear 4 and assains creed) for £270 delivered
Old 15 January 2009, 03:21 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Best deal is an XBOX 360!
Old 15 January 2009, 03:51 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
Best deal is an XBOX 360!
Want the PS3 for the Blu-Ray, hence I asked for best deals on PS3 and not XBox 360
Old 15 January 2009, 03:54 PM
spireite
BANNED

3 , 2 , 1 you are now entering the computer section
Old 15 January 2009, 07:44 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I have one on E-Bay at the minute with 4 games and 5 blu-ray movies
Old 15 January 2009, 08:53 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

The Blue Ray drives are bomb proof, well kind of. Actually, they aren't.

I've watched maybe 8 BR films, and played 3 or 4 games on mine and the bloody things packed up. Admittedly, Sony reckon they are going to sort it when I ring them back and hold for an hour or so again.
Old 15 January 2009, 09:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
I have one on E-Bay at the minute with 4 games and 5 blu-ray movies
And I'm just down the road from you by the sound of it...

How much?
Old 15 January 2009, 09:24 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a PS3 (for the Blueray Player mainly) from Game. Its the 80gb version with 'I am Legend' Blueray disc, Blueray remote, Fifa and Resistance 2 games for just under £300.

I have a 1080i 42inch Lcd Tv (not 1080p) and must say the Blueray movies look fantastic and it upscales normal Dvd's quite nicely as well.
Old 15 January 2009, 09:26 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Mine's going on an 84x84 screen through an HD projector ... eventually
Old 15 January 2009, 09:34 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I will say though, when they work they do look good.
Old 16 January 2009, 09:42 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

ive just bought one and im utterly disapointed
Old 16 January 2009, 10:14 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You'd be better off buying a standalone blu-ray player. The PS3 player is really not very high quality, prone to breaking, and you have to put up with the noise of the console fans running and disc spinning all the time.

I never use my PS3 for blu-ray discs any more. Bought a standalone player (which has a better picture, and is whisper quiet) and would never go back now...
Old 16 January 2009, 02:13 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Young
You'd be better off buying a standalone blu-ray player. The PS3 player is really not very high quality, prone to breaking, and you have to put up with the noise of the console fans running and disc spinning all the time.

I never use my PS3 for blu-ray discs any more. Bought a standalone player (which has a better picture, and is whisper quiet) and would never go back now...
Not had any of those issues with my PS3, it's quiet, works fine and plays well enough for me Sounds like you have a duff one.

My Xbox360 is, on the other hand, like having a spastic badger in the corner of the room

Both are good for different reasons, ps3 is good for media as it plays divx and avi's streamed straight off your pc. Some good games an' all, I've been right into LittleBigPlanet recently, loadsa fun.

It's surely the best option if you're a bit of a gamer and want something that'll play blueray as well. Not a gamer, go standalone.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:16 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Oh and the best deal on PS3's is to get them for Christmas or, as said, Game have some good deals on
Old 16 January 2009, 02:46 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Not had any of those issues with my PS3, it's quiet, works fine and plays well enough for me Sounds like you have a duff one.
Every one I have seen has been the same. They all make a noise from the fans, and all the drives are noisy (compared to standalone players). I'm not the only person to comment on it.

ps3 is good for media as it plays divx and avi's streamed straight off your pc.
Erm, the 360 can do that as well you know. Plus it can act as a media center extender if you want to do that sort of thing (which the PS3 can't).

Some good games an' all, I've been right into LittleBigPlanet recently, loadsa fun.
Played LBP for about 4-5 hours and totally bored with it now. Simplistic gameplay, no real challenge, and little variety in level design. Not sure I can be bothered to finish the supplied single play levels, let alone go online with it.

I'm struggling to find anything worth playing on the PS3, whereas I've got far too many games for the 360 (got about 10 PS3 games, well over 100 360 games). The 2009 game lineup is looking a big thin at the moment as well. The only reason I'm keeping the console at the moment is because I want to play God of War III.

It's surely the best option if you're a bit of a gamer and want something that'll play blueray as well. Not a gamer, go standalone.
Personally, I think the best option is to get a standalone player, and a 360 for the gaming side. Much bigger list of available games, cheaper, and it's got a far superior online service.

I'd never attempt to watch a dvd on the 360 (far too noisy). Having said that, after getting a standalone blu-ray player, I wouldn't ever use the PS3 for dvd or blu-ray playback again either. Standalone is just so much better

Last edited by Iain Young; 16 January 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 02:55 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Both are good for different reasons, ps3 is good for media as it plays divx and avi's streamed straight off your pc. Some good games an' all, I've been right into LittleBigPlanet recently, loadsa fun.
I like it too and its teaching my daughter how to play platform games - well who knows when that will come in handy

My dude is still wearing his Santa suit.

Another good one is Dead Space. I got it on PS3 due to the control issues on the PC. Very good but I can only play once my daughter is in bed.

I got mine through contract phone.
Old 16 January 2009, 03:04 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Every one I have seen has been the same. They all make a noise from the fans, and all the drives are noisy (compared to standalone players). I'm not the only person to comment on it.

Erm, the 360 can do that as well you know. Plus it can act as a media center extender if you want to do that sort of thing (which the PS3 can't).

Played LBP for about 4-5 hours and totally bored with it now. Simplistic gameplay, no real challenge, and little variety in level design. Not sure I can be bothered to finish the supplied single play levels, let alone go online with it.

I'm struggling to find anything worth playing on the PS3, whereas I've got far too many games for the 360 (got about 10 PS3 games, well over 100 360 games). The 2009 game lineup is looking a big thin at the moment as well. The only reason I'm keeping the console at the moment is because I want to play God of War III.

Personally, I think the best option is to get a standalone player, and a 360 for the gaming side. Much bigger list of available games, cheaper, and it's got a far superior online service.

I'd never attempt to watch a dvd on the 360 (far too noisy). Having said that, after getting a standalone blu-ray player, I wouldn't ever use the PS3 for dvd or blu-ray playback again either. Standalone is just so much better
Well, I can hardly hear my PS3, maybe I'm just lucky

Yes, I know that the 360 can be added via the extender but it's not as good as the PS3 and doesn't appear to play avi or divx files without foofing around with things. My PS3 connects directly through mediaplayer and can play everything on my PC barring a few obscure files, same as the extender on 360 (but that doesn't play anywhere near as much)
Quite good for watching iPlayer and stuff as well if you can't be bothered with turning on the PC.
Oh and I also have 2 psp's so I have the added mobile media/gaming benefits of that too.

LBP is great if you have a bit of creativity about you, the main game is easily and quickly completed but that's mainly there to gain objects to create levels. If you can't see delth in the level creation, you've simply missed loads of things or haven't bothered exploring it properly. It ain't the greatest game in the world but the online gaming is fun (when it works!) and the level creation is what it's all about anyway. Even better with an iToy or whatever it's called but I haven't got one yet.

There's more than enough to keep me occupied on the PS3 and if I get bored of the games I just switch on the 360. Gonna play a bit of Call of Duty, World at War, when I can be arsed to take it out of it's wrapper, apparently that's a bit of a laff too but I'm sure that will be deemed to be poo by whichever fanboys come along next

Yeah, watching dvd's on the 360 is just silly but I agree that the networks are a lot better than the Sony attempt.

I'm just not a fanboy of one particular brand or model and use each for their own particular benefits

And tbh, watching Transformers on Blueray on a good Sony Bravia looked awesome, it's not that bad a player unless you're really really **** about it
Old 16 January 2009, 03:07 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I like it too and its teaching my daughter how to play platform games - well who knows when that will come in handy

My dude is still wearing his Santa suit.

Another good one is Dead Space. I got it on PS3 due to the control issues on the PC. Very good but I can only play once my daughter is in bed.

I got mine through contract phone.
lol, yeah I've got a little ninja with a frying pan, looks uber fly
Yeah, I heard that dead space is good and very scarey with the lights out etc. not surprised you gotta wait for the sprogs to be in bed!

I got both my 360 and PS3 as pressies though so I can't bitch about price or anything on these consoles, purely commenting on the way they have worked for me.
Old 16 January 2009, 03:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yes, I know that the 360 can be added via the extender but it's not as good as the PS3 and doesn't appear to play avi or divx files without foofing around with things.
Erm, it plays divx etc just fine for me. PS3 hasn't got anything comparable to the media extender stuff so you can't really compare those features. You're not mixing it up with media streaming are you?

Oh and I also have 2 psp's so I have the added mobile media/gaming benefits of that too.
So have I. Not found any real use for it though.

LBP is great if you have a bit of creativity about you
Got lots of creativity about me thanks, (writing my own games in XNA, doing computer graphics stuff with Lightwave, writing music with Sonar etc). I find the creative aspects of LBP to be limited, frustrating, and generally dull as ditchwater

And tbh, watching Transformers on Blueray on a good Sony Bravia looked awesome, it's not that bad a player unless you're really really **** about it
Not **** at all. Through the standalone player, the colours are more vibrant, picture is generally sharper, it does a better job when upscaling dvds. The player is also a lot quieter, boots up quicker, and will play multi-region dvds (which the PS3 doesn't).

Not saying the PS3 is bad, it's just better via the standalone unit, which you can get for much less than the console option (I picked mine up for £150).
Old 16 January 2009, 04:03 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Erm, it plays divx etc just fine for me. PS3 hasn't got anything comparable to the media extender stuff so you can't really compare those features. You're not mixing it up with media streaming are you?

So have I. Not found any real use for it though.

Got lots of creativity about me thanks, (writing my own games in XNA, doing computer graphics stuff with Lightwave, writing music with Sonar etc). I find the creative aspects of LBP to be limited, frustrating, and generally dull as ditchwater

Not **** at all. Through the standalone player, the colours are more vibrant, picture is generally sharper, it does a better job when upscaling dvds. The player is also a lot quieter, boots up quicker, and will play multi-region dvds (which the PS3 doesn't).

Not saying the PS3 is bad, it's just better via the standalone unit, which you can get for much less than the console option (I picked mine up for £150).
Yeah, I may be mixing up the extender and media player streamer indeed, no idea, lol. My 360 doesn't seem to want to play any of my divx/avi files, has yours always done so? Mine may need some kind of update or something as mine just won't play them but it will play all my non drm music files. I like both the PS3 and the 360 features but I just prefer the way my PS3 does it, personal choice I suppose

Using the psp's to stream media from the ps3 is the feature I'm on about, haven't tried it yet but a mate has and it was pretty cool, so I admit, I can't talk from personal experience on that one.

Yeah, I do actually agree with you about a standalone player being better for bluerays but I just prefer the PS3 for it's dual uses and it's not like it looks terrible when playing movies or anything.

I think we pretty much agree, well, apart from the media playing on each of the consoles, although that may just be a problem with my xbox. As for the LBP thing, I've had fun with it and found plenty to mess around with but I guess it's just not for you, fair do's, each to their own
Old 17 January 2009, 08:30 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

well i got too agree with iain, im really struggling to find anything worthwhile to play on ps3 although looking forward to killzone coming out, as for media downloaded the last 3 episodes of heroes, ps3 would only play one of them where as xbox played all 3 and they where avi's
Old 18 January 2009, 10:57 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I must also be one of the lucky ones as my PS3 is quiet when playing DVD or bluray. Im sure if there was no sound on the TV and I went and sat next to the PS3 then Id probably hear the fans but thats about it. I also dont think it takes long at all to load a bluray. I watched Black Hawk Down last night and probably looking at 20secs from pressing play in the PS3 menu to getting the opening picture.

And Im seriously wondering how different the colours can be if your watching the same disc via the same tv panel (with identical settings) and same connection type. Id really have to see them side by side to believe there is any difference.

Like most things its how far your prepared to go. Its like 1080i vs p - does it make any difference. Probably not unless your sat on top of a 50" screen and like to pause the disc to study peoples faces.

Tbh I think in some films bluray offers too much detail. Now you can see every bead of sweat, spot and blemish on a persons face.

One thing I am annoyed at is Ive had my PS3 about 4 months or so now and the x button on my controller has started to stick. It has taken some abuse admittedly but Id expect a lot longer life span than that. Will see if Sony are willing to replace it.

Simon
Old 18 January 2009, 11:16 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
And Im seriously wondering how different the colours can be if your watching the same disc via the same tv panel (with identical settings) and same connection type. Id really have to see them side by side to believe there is any difference.
That is what I have done, and that is why I now have a standalone player (both using the same settings via the same hdmi connection). Standalone player is quieter, looks sharper and has better colour reproduction than the PS3, and does a much better job up upscaling normal old dvds. Will play multi-region dvds as well (which the PS3 won't).

One thing I am annoyed at is Ive had my PS3 about 4 months or so now and the x button on my controller has started to stick.
Tell me about it. just wait till the battery dies. You have to replace the whole flippin controller. I've had one go, and it's only just over a year old
Old 18 January 2009, 11:31 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

had my ps3 over a year controllers fine it's quiet plays everything we have got in the way of dvds and games and the 5yr old lad has it on nearly non stop maybe i just got a good one!
Old 18 January 2009, 03:30 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for people using ps3 as a media server, try this : PS3 Media Server

much better than tvserity