Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I have a strange problem to do with IE7 and Firefox, i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2008, 11:43 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a strange problem to do with IE7 and Firefox, i need help!

I use both IE7 and Firefox and my homepage is set to google.com on both, now over the last couple of days i have launched browsers both in IE7 and Firefox but my homepage which is google fails to load most of the time, it just hangs and eventually times out with the usual message that Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Occasionally it will load no problem.

Now here is the strange bit, if i then go to my favourites menu on the same browser that wouldn`t load google and click any link at random it will then load up that link no problem.

Also i have noticed that a lot of photos and images are failing to load, as an example when google eventually does work i can tap in Subaru into google and hit search and then from the menu at the top of google i click on images it will have half the images missing with just a few that have loaded. Sometimes the image page won`t even load and times out with the same error as above where internet explorer cannot display the webpage.

What can be causing these issues, its doing my fruit as ive tried everything i know without any joy. Sometimes websites load up and other times they will hang and time out. I have done various speed tests on my broadband and it comes back perfect as it should be.

I use Vista, i have a d link router, i have a vaio laptop. Previously it was all ok and now this.

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 14 December 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 15 December 2008, 03:23 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Mine went through a stage of doing this a while back. There wasnt a logical explanation from what i remember. I ran quite a few malware progs, AV, cleared all cookies, temp files, etc and it still wasnt any better. Have you tried another browser after a full cleanup?
Old 15 December 2008, 09:50 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by Boro
Mine went through a stage of doing this a while back. There wasnt a logical explanation from what i remember. I ran quite a few malware progs, AV, cleared all cookies, temp files, etc and it still wasnt any better. Have you tried another browser after a full cleanup?

I have tried everything i know including running CC cleaner, running spybot S&D, running my anti virus which is Nod32. I have even wiped my router and done a fresh set up. I have run reg mechanic as well.

Not long ago i updated the firmware in the router from the d-link site which is the right one for my router, could this cause the problems ?

It really is a nightmare at the min.
Old 15 December 2008, 04:57 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

I heard a rumour that some of you were good in the computer section

C`mon lads and lasses, someone must have an idea as to why my laptop has all of a sudden gone belly up with all these problems.
Old 15 December 2008, 06:47 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

It could be a DNS issue, a number of SNetters have had weird problems that have been fixed by changing to OpenDNS

OpenDNS > Home Network > Solutions

Is your firewall/security suite blocking stuff it shouldn't?
Old 15 December 2008, 06:54 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Are you using a download manager like Reget ? I had this problem a looong time ago, same problems with some inline images being missed off due to the way the program was intercepting stuff from the browser.

Just a thought.

J
Old 15 December 2008, 08:46 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Like ChunkyDunky said, I think I'd be having a look to see if it's DNS issues.
Old 18 December 2008, 12:08 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

I appreciated all the suggestions, i still have the same problem and its a nightmare.

Here is what i have done so far.

1. Fully wiped all the data off my hard drives on my laptop and done a frsh install of vista just incase it was a windows issue, its still the same.

2. I upgraded the firmare in my router from the D-Link site not long ago, i have now downgraded back down to my previous firmware and its still the same.

3. I contacted my ISP, they asked me a couple of questions about lights on the broadband box and then pinged my IP, he said its working fine, i said no it aint

4. The desktop upstairs has the same problem so to me that says either a router or ISP issue.

I am at a loss here, i have no idea what to do next. Google my homepage very rarely loads up, i get hanging browsers in both IE7 and Firefox and some sites will load and others won`t, some sites half load where it stops with half the page loaded and the bottom half missing.
Old 18 December 2008, 08:03 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
I appreciated all the suggestions, i still have the same problem and its a nightmare.

Here is what i have done so far.

1. Fully wiped all the data off my hard drives on my laptop and done a frsh install of vista just incase it was a windows issue, its still the same.

2. I upgraded the firmare in my router from the D-Link site not long ago, i have now downgraded back down to my previous firmware and its still the same.

3. I contacted my ISP, they asked me a couple of questions about lights on the broadband box and then pinged my IP, he said its working fine, i said no it aint

4. The desktop upstairs has the same problem so to me that says either a router or ISP issue.

I am at a loss here, i have no idea what to do next. Google my homepage very rarely loads up, i get hanging browsers in both IE7 and Firefox and some sites will load and others won`t, some sites half load where it stops with half the page loaded and the bottom half missing.
The only thing you haven't tried is the OpenDNS suggestion....... If you get stuck, we can try and talk you through it.
Old 18 December 2008, 09:39 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
The only thing you haven't tried is the OpenDNS suggestion....... If you get stuck, we can try and talk you through it.
I appreciate your suggestion, i want to get to the root of the problem and find out why its happening as its not acceptable if its down to my ISP. Later i`ll be connecting my laptop directly too the NTL broadband box and by passing the router, i`ll have a better idea of whats going on then.

Virgin/NTL have their call/tech centre in India it seems, it was like banging my head against a brick wall earlier when trying to get some sense out of the person i spoke too.

This sumnmed up my call perfectly

YouTube - Internet Providings FoneJacker

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 18 December 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 18 December 2008, 11:37 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

This sounds very much like what happened to mine the other day. I followed a link from a thread on here (one by Sunnyside Up IIRC) and it came up with a warning saying that the site has been reported as a malicious one. Shortly after that it then froze. When I try and connect to the Internet (again with Internet Explorer and Firefox) I get the same time out message and the 'Connect' button on the ISP window is greyed out. I couldn't access my favourites though, are you sure they aren't just opening up some previously cached pages rather than new pages? I've tried everything too, system restore, virus scans etc. etc. I've now given up and started using the wife's laptop instead.
Old 19 December 2008, 02:01 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Last night i tested the laptop direct to the internet via the ISP`s broadband modem and it was still the same, originally the desktop used to be connected direct to the ISP`s broadband modem before we moved it upstairs so i brought the desktop downstairs this morning and connected it direct to the ISP broadband modem and it worked no problem and without any hitches.

Now what i can`t understand is why would my laptop not work perfect last night when connected direct to the ISP`s broadband modem just like the desktop did this morning with the same set up ?

Is it something to do with mac adressess`s in that the modem recognises the desktop as being the original equipment that was connected to the ISP`s broadband modem before we got a router and laptop in the house ?

As soon as you put the main PC in a situation where it is using the wireless D-Link router via a USB adapter it then doesn`t work properly, when its in that situation some websites load and others won`t along with a lot of images and photos not loading.
Old 19 December 2008, 02:44 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I had similarish problems with AOL and a Netgear router, There were a couple of other AOL users suffering similar at that time. I joined the Netgear forum and was advised not to upgrade the firmware. However, if I remember correctly it turned out to be something to do with AOL and it just righted itself. BTW AOL were a pain to talk to and never admitted to being at fault