Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Advice please for newbie PS3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2008, 10:30 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please for newbie PS3 owner

I have just picked up a 80g PS3, now I have put it away and am going to save it for a Xmas pressie.

So need to know what to get to go with it, I have been told I need to get a HDMI lead (is that correct?) for the Blue ray player.

Is it a case of plug and play after that for the HD on the telly?

The machine comes with a singing thing, prob will never be used, any suggestions for a first game to get in the mean time?

Also does the PS3 play through the HDMI or Scart, is there a better choice for quality for gaming?/

Sorry for all the questions guys.

Cookie
Old 16 November 2008, 11:01 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Just got a PS3 myself, yes best to get a HDMI cable, don't waste your money on expensive ones as they do exactly the same job as a cheap one as the signal is digital and yes the games play through the HDMI

What sort of games do you like, mine came with GT5 which is just as well as i like driving games , i've already changed the hard drive (easy to do and doesn't void your warranty) to a 320Gb drive from play.com as GT5 took up 15Gb when installed although not all games do this
Old 17 November 2008, 12:33 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

COD5 and yes to the hdmi questions.
Old 17 November 2008, 10:11 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Your PS3's disk drive is a blu-ray player i.e. the games come on blu ray.

As above best way is via HDMI cable so the same connection for playing games as watching films.

What kind of games do you like? Little Big Planet is a good family type game and most entertaining.

Simon
Old 18 November 2008, 10:45 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Interesting that you now have to pay for an extra HDMI cable, my 60GB Launch day model came with an HDMI cable and in black too as well as a component and scart adapter.

One thing I will mention is that does the console have 1 or 2 controllers? If you want more enjoyment from the console then I would invest in another controller. Also if Sony have become tight wads, the controllers I have (Non Rumble versions) have a connector on the front for chraging them with what I also got provided a USB cable. As the controllers have no removable battery and are charged up using the PS3 USB ports.
What I would suggest doing is cracking open the box and having alook at what you have witht he system and jotting down what you need to buy extra or someone maybe in for an unhappy christmas.
Old 18 November 2008, 01:24 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Interesting that you now have to pay for an extra HDMI cable, my 60GB Launch day model came with an HDMI cable and in black too as well as a component and scart adapter.

One thing I will mention is that does the console have 1 or 2 controllers? If you want more enjoyment from the console then I would invest in another controller. Also if Sony have become tight wads, the controllers I have (Non Rumble versions) have a connector on the front for chraging them with what I also got provided a USB cable. As the controllers have no removable battery and are charged up using the PS3 USB ports.
What I would suggest doing is cracking open the box and having alook at what you have witht he system and jotting down what you need to buy extra or someone maybe in for an unhappy christmas.

Good idea about opening the box up, will do that at the weekend, I will get a HDMI cable anyways, Maplins should do the job??.

With regards to games, I'm not really sure, as I have been out of the whole games console thing for a while, so not sure whats out there, alwaqys liked platform games, played a few on the PS2 ansd loved them.