Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

conecting a 360 to the net

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2008, 02:51 PM
85rob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conecting a 360 to the net

wots needed to conect a 360 to the net? ive got the elite version.

i dont have a landline but will be getting mobile broadband.
Old 07 November 2008, 02:55 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'm not sure I would even attempt it using mobile broadband (cost and speed may be an issue).

However, in order to connect a 360 or PS3 to the interweb you basically need either a standard wired router (with an ethernet connection from the router to the console), or a wireless router which does the same thing only wirelessly (note that on the 360 you will need to buy an additional wireless adapter adapter to do this).

If your PC is handling the broadband (as I suspect may be the case with mobile broadband), then you will need to use Internet Connection Sharing from the PC to the console. Unfortunately, this means having to have the PC on all the time you are using the cosnsole, and isn't the easiest to set up or the most reliable of connections...
Old 07 November 2008, 06:14 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Personally, I'm not sure I would even attempt it using mobile broadband (cost and speed may be an issue).

However, in order to connect a 360 or PS3 to the interweb you basically need either a standard wired router (with an ethernet connection from the router to the console), or a wireless router which does the same thing only wirelessly (note that on the 360 you will need to buy an additional wireless adapter adapter to do this).

If your PC is handling the broadband (as I suspect may be the case with mobile broadband), then you will need to use Internet Connection Sharing from the PC to the console. Unfortunately, this means having to have the PC on all the time you are using the cosnsole, and isn't the easiest to set up or the most reliable of connections...

I used to run my system like this before I got my modem router, and had zero reliability or setup issues at all, in fact I know of a couple of folks who still have their pc/xbox set this way, and they have no issues either.

A modem router is a better way though, it means that your pc doesnt have to be connected to the net when you want your xbox on.
Old 07 November 2008, 06:19 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

My brother tried this and had no end of connection issues. I think it depends a lot on what you have installed on the pc and the speed of the hardware...