Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Screen blacking out on emac?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2008, 02:49 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Screen blacking out on emac?

As above, computer doesn't shut down, screen just goes gradually black and nothing brings it back apart from a total shut down and restart. It happens all the time now sometimes after just a few mins of re starting, other times you get about an hour - so if any mistakes in this post sorry lol just trying to get it posted up before screen goes again lol.
I've turned off power save for now and this hasn't made any difference - pity that after OS9 you can't use the rebuild desktop - that seemed to cure most problems lol

Thanks in advance for any help

Pele

ps; it seems to black out sooner if my partner uses it.... he thinks I've set it up to do that now lol
Old 31 October 2008, 03:49 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a video card issue

have you tried looking online in the apple support discussions website

Apple - Support - Discussions - eMac
Old 31 October 2008, 05:28 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Hmm, long shot. A while ago the old Macs had an onboard battery, if this battery died the computer seemed like it turned on but you didn't get any video.
I wonder if it's a similar problem...
The battery is a camera style battery and on G3/G4s it was housed in a small black plastic clip thing on the motherboard. Might be worth a look but likely to be the problem.
Old 31 October 2008, 05:47 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
Great I love taking things apart lol putting them back together is another thing tho
Old 01 November 2008, 06:12 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Where would be the best place to get a replacement video card Tony?
Old 02 November 2008, 03:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

From what I know, it's not possible to replace the video card on the eMac, as it's not a separate board, it's part of the logic board.

You might be able to get a replacement logic board, but to be quite frank, I'd not bother. I would either look for a replacement machine on eBay, or purchase a newer machine, which would be my preferred route. The reason being that all the eMacs are getting on a bit, and thus problems like this will no doubt become more common and spare parts will likely be hard to get. In the long run getting a newer machine (G5 iMac, or an early 2006 Intel iMac) or going the whole hog and getting an bran new machine, would be the best bet.

If you do decide to get a brand new machine, check to see which apps you have that run in Classic mode - I'm assuming the eMac is running Mac OS X and not Mac OS 9, or lower - as Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) does not have Classic to allow the running of pre Mac OS X applications, and you don't want to find out after buying a new machine that your apps won't work.