Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ancestry.co.uk or Genes Reunited?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 11:43 AM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ancestry.co.uk or Genes Reunited?

Out off these 2 family tree research sites which do you think is the best? By the way I realise I have to pay a subscription fee, just want to pay for the best one.
Old 24 September 2008, 01:16 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Me dad uses Ancesty & The Genealogist: Search Online Census, Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Record Indexes and Directories

He says ancestry is more detailed & has more stuff but its more dificult to use, although he doesnt have much computing experience so i wouldnt take much into that.

Seems like some sites have access too some things but not others were as the other site you will be able to access it.

Theres also the free trials you can use, but you can only get so far using them then have to pay.
Old 24 September 2008, 05:02 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. I take it there are things that arnt on both sites otherwise your dad would only use one.
Old 25 September 2008, 08:54 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I use both Ancestry and Genes Reunited.

It depends what you wish to do as Genes costs £10 (i think) per year without any frills - no census searches for free (I think you buy "vouchers" to access the info), etc, so you can input information and have the ability to contact other users who may be researching the same people as you. I've made 30 or more contacts in this way and gain loads of useful information on my family.

On Ancestry, you pay £80 per year, but this gives you access to as many census records as you can wish for. You can also access trees that other people are researching.

Both sites are easy to use - I've never used the one SDW mentions, so I'll have to have a look.

Cheers

Simes
Old 26 September 2008, 11:09 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

My Mum's using Ancestry.co.uk - she's a TOTAL IT numptie (sorry Mum! )
Good site, and has provided some strong leads etc.

Recommended!

Dan