Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop or tower pc ??

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2008, 06:21 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop or tower pc ??

Young son is looking for a pc off his own now so me and the wife have decided this can be his xmas pressie this year, he is keen on getting a laptop but given the fact that 99.9% off his pc work will be done from his bedroom just wonder if a laptop is still a good idea ?? have heard that laptops are not recommended for extended use due to the heat build up , anyone confirm this being a typical young lad would imagine the pc would be on for hour after hour, laptop still okay for this type off use or best to go for a tower set up ??

cheers
Old 12 September 2008, 06:34 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Laptops vary much like desktops do in terms of heat build up. If you cram very high output components such as Processors, graphics cards and Hard Drive's (7200rpm drives) then they can get quite hot or be very noisey.

But if you get a fairly typical CPU, integrated graphics (rather than dedicated), chances are it will run pretty cool and quiet, but check the reviews you can find first. The site I use for notebooks is Notebook and Laptop Reviews. They get most new models and do very thorough testing

Just for reference I have run a laptop (sony vaio) for 3 years at uni, it was on.. well most of the time to be honest doing one thing or another. It never really had any problems over the years. To this day it still works (although has been replaced now) it just needs a new Hard drive which you will not find uncommon on any PC after a long period of use.

So, if it's just internet, word, dvd's then a laptop will be fine. It allows that bit more freedom, on the bed, at the desk, down stairs, in the garden, taking it to school/college or to a friends etc..

If it really will only be in his room then desktops do offer more performance overall for less money. Larger monitors with better resolutions make life a bit easier too.

What sort of budget are you looking at?
Old 12 September 2008, 10:05 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

laptops are just as good as desktops, i can be on mine for 4-5 hours and it's fine(compaq). now thinking of upgrading to a macbook or a macbook pro
wiley
Old 13 September 2008, 12:47 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

I bought a Dell laptop a couple of months ago after many years if using a desktop pc.

I did consider getting the Dell desktop as they were cheaper, but in the end I chose a laptop mainly because it gives me the freedom of using it in my room when I want some privacy, or in the lounge when I want to be with everyone.
Is also useful for hooking it to the tele with a few mates sometimes as I have vids from my camera on there and we can all have a good chuckle.

Mine is on a lot during the day and tbh honest I've not really had any probs with over-heating (touch wood).

I think in this day and age teenagers prefer laptops over desktops as so many of their friends have them nowadays, and overall it just gives them more flexibility. HTH.
Old 14 September 2008, 08:57 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Laptops use quite a bit less power. Desktop machines tend to be cheaper and more upgradable.
Old 14 September 2008, 09:26 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks appreciate all the advice from what I read its just down to what would suit him best, again 99% off his pc work would be done from a fixed location ie. bedroom !! so guess a tower based systmn would be okay but will still look at laptops nearer the time now that at least I know that there are okay for extended use.

thanks again
Old 17 September 2008, 12:16 AM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

tower pc's are easier to upgrade !
i have got a tower pc which i build myself for 600 with all the latest technology . And have got a toshiba laptop for college..

i prefer using the tower pc for gaming it runs smoother