Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I want to mess around with Linux on my laptop and need a hand

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2008, 07:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to mess around with Linux on my laptop and need a hand

I am currently running a dual boot configuration comprising of both Vista and XP. In addition to those primary partitions I have a logical data partition. All Windows partitions are NTFS formatted, this is requirement as NTFS permissions are used throughout.

I therefore have one primary partition left, to which I would love to drop Linux on. I have been reading up a bit and see that Linux basically needs two primary partitions to function, one being the swap file. I don't know how to get around this with my current config.

I have tried a few live CDs, but as this is a new laptop that is basically a no go. I have had issues from my keyboard not being recognised, my touch pad not working and no graphics capability. Obviously that presents an entirely unworkable environment.

Are there any good Linux distros that do not need that separate swap partition? I really do not want to ditch my data partition. Its really useful when you want to toast a Windows system partition (or rather when it toasts and you restore!)
Old 06 September 2008, 07:54 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

OK, I may have answered my question with a little more research. It would appear that the swap partition is not too fussy and can exist on a logical partition. I of course can create almost as many of these as I want
Old 09 September 2008, 01:46 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I've just installed Kubuntu (hardy) on an old machine & the installation process is a breeze, it'll sort out its own swapfile partition.