Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tricky Interview Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2008, 04:34 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricky Interview Questions?

I'm interviewing for a Firewall Engineer at the moment, but I'm after some tricky questions to test their ability.

I don't want the "What port does this protocol run on?" type questions, but something to test both depth and breadth.

Someone mentioned ask an more open ended question, such as "Describe how an email gets from Hotmail to your Exchange server". Then see if they understand ports, MX records, Email protocols, Email servers, etc.

Any evil questions welcome!! Oh and the answers may be useful as well!!!
Old 04 August 2008, 08:17 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

General problem solving questions are a good test of someone's intelligence. Have a look at some of Microsoft's interview questions.
Old 04 August 2008, 10:08 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

yeesh....

What firewall? Checkpoint? ASA? ISA?

Ummm.... lemme think. How about what does packet out of sync mean?

(ack, syn, data packet and then increment cycle out of whack) How can it happen (network latency)

What does stateful inspection mean? (interogates each packets contents to ensure no malicious payload as opposed to just port filter)

You could paint a scenario of front end web server, back end database server, and have him draw up a diagram of the internal lan DMZ and what ports go where (sql to/from int/dmz and watch him miss netbios if you mention connection is via named pipes) and then HTTP outbound. Personally I just get the damn list out and make a group. No point re-inventing the wheel. If someone said this to me they would get extra credit!

Why should you NEVER allow HTTPS into the internal network ('cos the ISA / ASA whatever can't inspect the packets as they are encrypted and therefore not trusted.

Ummm.... when CAN you allow HTTPS? (when you are publishing it and the FW has the certificate installed so you CAN decrypt the packets)

What is stealth? (not even replying to port sniffers when they start probing active IP addresses)

Why are proxies important for firewalls? ('cos you limit the number of devices allowed through and therefore lower the admin overhead plus the processing overhead - that counts both inbound and outbound

Will that do for a start?
Old 04 August 2008, 10:19 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Kieran,

That is spot on, thanks for that.

He claims to be an expert on Checkpoint and SonicWALL.

I have a SonicWALL instructor in my team to ensure that side, but I needed the Checkpoint skills for Stonesoft (which not everyone knows, but Checkpoint is near as damn it!) and I think your questions will help!

Thanks
Andy
Old 04 August 2008, 11:11 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have two very technical questions you could ask...

1) What bricks do you use

2) Where's me coat?......

Geezer typing on blubs machine *shush dont' tell him*..........
Old 04 August 2008, 11:25 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

All the servers in our Datacentre are unavailable from the outside world, we suspect a DoS. What do you do?
Old 05 August 2008, 09:49 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

ask them to provide a situation where they were at a technical disadvantage when asked to complete a task/project. how did they use the resources around them to complete the task?

they have a chance to provide detail on initiative, management of people, lateral thinking or just integrity that they didn't know how to do this task.
Old 05 August 2008, 10:46 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Well - if it's checkpoint you want:

Where do you find the log of rule changes? (smartview tracker, audit tab)
What is the difference between static NAT and hide. How do you configure it? (host properties, nat, pull down list of options)
Why does the source port increment in the tracker logs? (it shows the session packet count - refer back to syn ack bit)
What is anti-spoofing? (packets from the wrong subnet appearing on the wrong adapter)
How do you configure Checkpoint to stop it Policy, Smart Defense, Ant Spoofing, define the subnets found behind each adapter - this is a bitch to get right!

Offers over £40K and a relocation package, and I'll accept the job
Old 05 August 2008, 10:54 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
How do you configure Ant Spoofing
With Ant Powder?

Don't forget to check the candidate for basic common sense, i've seen no end of uni grads which are just thick as **** when it comes to basic things.
Old 05 August 2008, 12:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spell ZoneAlarm ....
Old 05 August 2008, 12:31 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Offers over £40K and a relocation package, and I'll accept the job
I can give you half the money and you find your own place to live!!
Old 05 August 2008, 12:32 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!
Old 05 August 2008, 02:06 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

ask him if windows xp firewall is any good.
Old 05 August 2008, 02:19 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

ask how to get a vista machine to identify and connect to a linksys 3G broadband router. took me 3 hours to sort it out.
Old 05 August 2008, 02:32 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Give me ten unrelated words to describe yourself.
Old 05 August 2008, 02:33 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

or five depending on cruelty
Old 05 August 2008, 07:08 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

give me two good reasons to run anything mission critical on windows.
Old 05 August 2008, 09:09 PM
ScaldedCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
give me two good reasons to run anything mission critical on windows.

Regularly heard at my place:

1. "Everyone else uses Windows so it must be good"
2. "We can't afford to hire Unix engineers"
Old 05 August 2008, 09:42 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

When interviewing for technical roles one thing I always used to do was to give the candidate access to a PC with Word on it, and give him/her a scenario that required them to type a formal letter (often to a supplier, expressing concern over a faulty product and suggested remedial/compensatory action required)... whatever the scenario, it didn't matter - I was always testing a reasonable command of the English language and grammer, and common sense ability to express themselves in the written word - and to correctly formulate a formal document (in this case a properly formatted letter).

It was amazing how very 'technically intelligent' individuals simply didn't know how to write a simple letter, or couldn't spell (even with a spell checker), or who typed the entire letter as a single sentence, etc.

Worth doing something similar IMHO...

My first interview question was always "Tell me a good joke...." - which, again, gets an interesting response!

DN
Old 05 August 2008, 10:48 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
When interviewing for technical roles one thing I always used to do was to give the candidate access to a PC with Word on it, and give him/her a scenario that required them to type a formal letter (often to a supplier, expressing concern over a faulty product and suggested remedial/compensatory action required)... whatever the scenario, it didn't matter - I was always testing a reasonable command of the English language and grammer, and common sense ability to express themselves in the written word - and to correctly formulate a formal document (in this case a properly formatted letter).

It was amazing how very 'technically intelligent' individuals simply didn't know how to write a simple letter, or couldn't spell (even with a spell checker), or who typed the entire letter as a single sentence, etc.

Worth doing something similar IMHO...

My first interview question was always "Tell me a good joke...." - which, again, gets an interesting response!

DN
Working as a 3rd line engineer for 10 years I've never once had to write a formal letter.

If I went to your interview I'd walk out!!
Old 05 August 2008, 11:38 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Working as a 3rd line engineer for 10 years I've never once had to write a formal letter.

If I went to your interview I'd walk out!!
He's making the same point I did, just because people have a long list of qualifications doesn't make them clever. It's surprising, and frankly worrying how many of today's grads have zero common sense
Old 06 August 2008, 01:11 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

We had an interviewee put in a formal complaint to the agency because we dint wear a suit for the interview

Needless to say his CV got chucked in the bin, and it was only for a cabling job

My interview for my current job was in a Chinese Restaurant, I got aked one technical question, and told to give my descision before the Crispy Duck

I started in mid June as an engineer, to becoming senior engineer within a week, and im now Technical Manager

We interviewed again the other day, and it was mostly just banter, totally informal, we need people who we know will fit in, we can give them training on the job for the roles that we need

informal interviews are way better than formal ones, and thats coming from both sides
Old 06 August 2008, 01:51 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic'
We had an interviewee put in a formal complaint to the agency because we dint wear a suit for the interview

Needless to say his CV got chucked in the bin, and it was only for a cabling job

My interview for my current job was in a Chinese Restaurant, I got aked one technical question, and told to give my descision before the Crispy Duck

I started in mid June as an engineer, to becoming senior engineer within a week, and im now Technical Manager

We interviewed again the other day, and it was mostly just banter, totally informal, we need people who we know will fit in, we can give them training on the job for the roles that we need

informal interviews are way better than formal ones, and thats coming from both sides
GIS A JOB
Old 06 August 2008, 09:51 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'

I agree with this fully, I want people to fit in and although training will be provided on the products and solutions, I still need people who have the ability to learn technical information and understand the fundamentals.
Old 06 August 2008, 10:13 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
He's making the same point I did, just because people have a long list of qualifications doesn't make them clever. It's surprising, and frankly worrying how many of today's grads have zero common sense
Exactly! It's not that the job usually entails writing a letter, as it doesn't - it's testing the interviewees ability to string a coherent sentence together, and have a modicum of common sense.

As a Support person I'd expect you to either write, or have input into formal status reports, activity reports or other 'business process' reports or information - all of which need similar skills... ie the ability to string a written sentence together!

I can't remember the last time I wrote a formal letter (of complaint or otherwise) - but I can still damn well do so if asked or I need to!

Some people simply can't - and it was frightening how many candidates used 'text speak' in a formal letter!

DN
Old 06 August 2008, 10:06 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exactly! It's not that the job usually entails writing a letter, as it doesn't - it's testing the interviewees ability to string a coherent sentence together, and have a modicum of common sense.

As a Support person I'd expect you to either write, or have input into formal status reports, activity reports or other 'business process' reports or information - all of which need similar skills... ie the ability to string a written sentence together!

I can't remember the last time I wrote a formal letter (of complaint or otherwise) - but I can still damn well do so if asked or I need to!

Some people simply can't - and it was frightening how many candidates used 'text speak' in a formal letter!

DN
It is poor grammar to use a comma at a conjunction. Further: you should end your sentences with a full stop, not a hyphen; you should not type an abbreviation such i.e. without using the full stops. Finally you should spell damn' with the apostrophe as it is a shortened version of damned.

Do I get the job?
Old 06 August 2008, 10:23 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Since when was SN anything even vaguely reminiscent of 'formal' communication???

Kieran, with regret..... "You're fired!"

DN
Old 08 August 2008, 03:16 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

... I was always testing a reasonable command of the English language and grammer, and common sense ability to express themselves in the written word ...

It was amazing how very 'technically intelligent' individuals simply didn't know how to write a simple letter, or couldn't spell (even with a spell checker) ... or who typed the entire letter as a single sentence, etc.
Pot. Kettle. Black!