Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

addicted after an hour!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2008, 11:05 AM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default addicted after an hour!

i know its a bit late on but i bought elder scrolls oblivion for ps3 yest, never bought it before as i didnt think it would be me thing, but oh was i wrong, it was near impossible to say good night to it and now all i have thought about is playing it!
anyone got any tips for a newbie oblivion player?
Old 03 August 2008, 12:01 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ignore the main plot for as long as you can. Get all the side plots done first.

Run everywhere at first, you stumble across some pretty cool things (and up your stats at the same time)

Don't do the expansion packs until your character is high level as the goodies level with the character.

Gawd... there's loads to learn as it's HUGE. Just have fun!
Old 03 August 2008, 01:28 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i got the game of the year edition so it has the packs on there i think? im just trying to get used to the combat! just got out the sewers at the start, think this is gunna take a few years out of my life have been jumping and running alot to build up my stats. any places worth a visit round the sewer entrance?
how far you into it kieran?
Old 03 August 2008, 01:29 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oli_w
anyone got any tips for a newbie oblivion player?
Kiss goodbye to 100+hrs of your life

There isn't any real tips just play it how you feel, however as posted above don't do too much of the main missions straight away as it makes the side quests a lot harder.

Get a house as soon as you can (you probably won't have enough gold for a long time tho), however you can complete a side quest in Anvil and get given a good big house, it's a tricky mission tho but worth it.

I also joined the Mage's guild first, it helped with the other guilds later on, just personal preference tho.
Old 03 August 2008, 01:30 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God that game is amazing. I try to avoid it now though, so that I actually have a life.
Old 03 August 2008, 01:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

OblivioWiki is your friend
Old 03 August 2008, 02:32 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

thanks pete think i will spend the next few days exploring, lucky im off all next week. i can see myself not moving from the sofa
are there any downloads as i swear u saw some on psn a while ago, but went to check out if there were any but i couldnt find a thing?
Old 03 August 2008, 02:50 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i got the game of the year edition so it has the packs on there i think? im just trying to get used to the combat! just got out the sewers at the start, think this is gunna take a few years out of my life have been jumping and running alot to build up my stats. any places worth a visit round the sewer entrance?
how far you into it kieran?
I finsihed it, and all the expansions and all sub-plots, guilds, hidden extras... I had NO life for WAY too long

I love the way that anything you can see, you can get to (within the map) and you can stumble across so many things purely by accident.

What WAS that shrine that gave you the infinite lock pick - that was a God send that was! (I stumbled across it very early in the game and it really changed everything for me)
Old 03 August 2008, 03:55 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

thats a lot of time spent! it seems worth it tho! i came out the sewers and went into the ruins across the river. taken me ages just to try and find all the crates n goodies. is it best to go see that juaffre at weynon priory first and also set up a house ?
Old 03 August 2008, 04:11 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Might be worth getting a horse first as it makes travelling much easier/quicker. Once you've been somewhere or found something you can then fast travel to that place which also helps later in the game.

You probably wont need a house for maybe 10-20hrs, it's when you start levelling up and exploring you find a lot of items which you need to store somewhere. The horse can carry a certain amount.

It is probably best to do a couple of the story missions to start with as it will give you some direction and feel to what to do / where cities are etc.
Old 03 August 2008, 04:50 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

thanks i am gunna head off and see this bloke coz at the moment im just finding loads of little caves and it takes ages to get thru them
Old 03 August 2008, 05:25 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

I never liked games like that and when my mate got it I ripped into him for being a geek but I ended up liking it and bought a copy myself..As mention you will lose about 100 hours of your life playing this and to this day it is the only game I have owned that I have got all 1000 achievements points..
The best advice is just do the game your own way as there are so many different routes that can be taken during the game..I got stuck a few times and foud this site Bethesda Game Studios Forums pretty helpfull
Old 03 August 2008, 05:53 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

What i found is when entering a cave, if you go to the video settings and ramp up the brightness to full you don't need to carry a touch and this leaves you free to keep your weapon drawn
Old 03 August 2008, 06:08 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bob269
What i found is when entering a cave, if you go to the video settings and ramp up the brightness to full you don't need to carry a touch and this leaves you free to keep your weapon drawn
finding the nightvision spells really help with this - I just stopped carrying torches after a while.

Oh, and I've just started again - Nightblade this time
Old 03 August 2008, 07:42 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i havent used a single torch yet in any cave, i havent adjusted the brightness either, found the door to go to the shivering isles and just got to to abbey to meet that bloke about the amulet, and i finaly found some ppl to talk to and a horse! my life is put on hold now!
excuse the probably stupid question but what is nightblade?
Old 03 August 2008, 08:15 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

i havent used a single torch yet in any cave, i havent adjusted the brightness either, found the door to go to the shivering isles and just got to to abbey to meet that bloke about the amulet, and i finaly found some ppl to talk to and a horse! my life is put on hold now!
excuse the probably stupid question but what is nightblade?
Nightblade is the class of character you create at the start, different classes have different abilites.

Oblivion:Classes - UESPWiki

And you have the shivering isle expansion pack as well??? Well kiss goodbye to 140+ hrs
Old 03 August 2008, 11:37 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

ahhh i see, i was recommended archer but i chose warrior. thanks for the warning! i got the game of the year version with i think two expansion packs? no sleep tonight !
Old 04 August 2008, 09:32 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

All the games that Bethseda made in this series are awesome Arena,Daggerfall,Morrowind and Oblivion.
Oblivion ,imo, is possibly the best single player game on the next gen consoles,there is so much to do and find etc.

If you like Oblivion have a look for Fallout 3 which is looking awesome.
Old 04 August 2008, 09:38 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Oblivion took me a while to get into, the start with the sewers was boring as hell but once you get outside you just get so sucked in its unbelievable. Think my gamesave ran to something like 140 hours...
Old 04 August 2008, 09:46 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Oblivion took me a while to get into, the start with the sewers was boring as hell but once you get outside you just get so sucked in its unbelievable. Think my gamesave ran to something like 140 hours...
Lol, that's exactly what i thought, Oblivion was my first rpg, i had no idea what to expect and have never played a game before which required so much comitment. Glad i stuck it out past the sewers, as soon as you exit them and see the starry sky and big city across the water it takes your breath away and you realise how immense and immersive the game is.
Old 04 August 2008, 09:51 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Lol, that's exactly what i thought, Oblivion was my first rpg, i had no idea what to expect and have never played a game before which required so much comitment. Glad i stuck it out past the sewers, as soon as you exit them and see the starry sky and big city across the water it takes your breath away and you realise how immense and immersive the game is.
Play Morrowind then not as graphically pleasing by a long shot,slightly different mechanics of combat and doesn't lead you by the hand to find places or missions but i put over 400+ hours into it (main and side missions).
Old 04 August 2008, 11:20 AM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i have seen some pics of fallout 3 and it looks amazing! im real glad i got this game! back on it already!! where is best to buy a new house?
Old 04 August 2008, 11:30 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

i have seen some pics of fallout 3 and it looks amazing! im real glad i got this game! back on it already!! where is best to buy a new house?
Travel to Anvil (it's a long ride if you've not been there before) and enquire aroudn town about the haunted mansion.
Old 04 August 2008, 11:36 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Travel to Anvil (it's a long ride if you've not been there before) and enquire aroudn town about the haunted mansion.
Which is the one you have to buy and then get done up at rip off prices? (was it some free DLC?) anyway - it's got a rather good fountain that cures vampirism...
Old 04 August 2008, 11:44 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Which is the one you have to buy and then get done up at rip off prices? (was it some free DLC?) anyway - it's got a rather good fountain that cures vampirism...
Nope, without giving much away complete the mission and it was free.

The DLC was for a castle up north somewhere and a wizards tower thingy.
Old 04 August 2008, 11:49 AM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i havent been there yet, im just on my way to find martin in anvil so will have a look thanks, just let me know when im annoyin coz this could go on for a long time haha. a random question... what view is best?? i have been using the first person view all the time but thought i would try out the 3rd person, i know it prob doesnt make any difference to the game just wondered what everyone preffered
Old 04 August 2008, 11:56 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

I left it on 3rd person as default, you can see if people are behind you. For me 1st person didnt feel right.
Old 04 August 2008, 12:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I went with First...

as Pete has mentioned Obliviowiki - is fantastic, I used it quite a lot.

The only tip I would give without giving anything away would be that if you ever get booted out of one of the guilds, reload a save rather than doing the objective needed to get back in. Think it was the fighters guild I got kicked out of after a so called team mate jumped in front of my bow & arrow and died - finding 20 bear pelts was a nightmare...
Old 04 August 2008, 12:22 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i have just been playin 3rd, it seems to make the game so much better. i am just going on the quest to pray at the nine shrines. im this sad i am marking them on the big map booklet! my life, where has it gone!
Old 04 August 2008, 04:47 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns

What WAS that shrine that gave you the infinite lock pick - that was a God send that was! (I stumbled across it very early in the game and it really changed everything for me)

Shrine of Nocturnal. Head East from Leyawiin then follow the road North - it's on the right a bit beyond Blankenmarch, but close to the road.

M

Quick Reply: addicted after an hour!