Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virus / trojans advice required

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2008, 10:07 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virus / trojans advice required

Sometimes see the term " turn off autmated system recovery " given during say a guide to removing computer viruses etc just a bit confused about this if anyone could advise ??

1/ first is it safe enough to turn this feature off ??

2/ if required just how do you go about turning this feature off ??

3/ does any removal off a virus etc automatically come back if you dont have this feature turned off, if so whats the point off actually having it in the first place ??!!

also say during a virus scan it comes up with a detected virus and you get the various options on what you want to do with the ie. quarinten, delete, etc if you choose delete is this good enough to rid all the possible harm the virus has done to you pc or is it just removing the harmful file, ask this as have often see what looks like long winded descriptions on how to rid an infected pc off a virus would this be the case if you could not actually run an av scan etc due to say a major pc virus affecting the start up etc off your pc ??

trojans ?? okay say a 100000 users off a bit off software are all infected by a trojan virus, is it purely down to bad luck if you are the unfortunate victim that the hacker chooses to have control over your pc ??!!

as I say slightly confused if someone could help me out ??

cheers and again appreciatte the advice guys.
Old 21 July 2008, 11:33 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok ..

System restore takes a load of your important files and zips them up to create a back up. These files can be infected and if it is not turned off when you remove certain viruses they stay safe in the protected recovery files. Windows will not allow the anti virus access to these files.

How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP

Make sure you turn it on and make a restore point once your finished, just in case.

Trojans are used less and less by actual hackers as lets face it, what use is your PC to them. The new things to do is to hide spyware programs within other programs ... so you don't know they are there. These are the things that report on your surfing and create popups and slow your PC down.

Another cool trick is to use your PC as like a Proxy .. they then can do things like DOS attacks using 1000's of PCs at once.. making your PC run slow but also leaving the blame on you for their actions !

My advice would be to turn off System Restore, run a full scan virus and spyware, clean, everything and then turn it back on.
Old 21 July 2008, 06:08 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent mate again really do appreciatte the advice, bit wiser now !!!
Old 21 July 2008, 06:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being careful is the best way to stay safe. I didnt used to have any Anti Virus on my OLD pc because it ran so badly. Never had any issues or slow downs because I didnt use any sites I didnt know, didnt open any emails and stayed away from file sharing. Obviously in the real world this isn't a suitable way to work.. but if you can be careful without being stupidly over the top you can save yourself a lot of effort.