Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sky TV on Media Centre PC

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 09:58 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sky TV on Media Centre PC

Has anyone managed to get Sky TV running on a Media Centre PC?

I have Sky HD in the living room plugged into the TV. A separate cable runs from the LNB into my office.

I wanted to hoy the cable into my Media Centre PC and watch some telly but working thru the TV setup program it just sits on the "Connecting to Tinternet" screen - Left it overnight and still no joy??

I do have a shed load of anti-virus / firewall software running - could that be the problem - I didn't see anything obvious popping up in Zonealarm or Norton.

I have set my wireless to be mac address filtered but the cable plugs straight into a hole in the back of the pc?

Maybe the card isn't up to the job??

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 28 June 2008, 11:21 AM
Kermit
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Aslong as your have the right card, right cam, software/firmware and an active sky card then yes you can.

You may need to keep putting the card back into the main skybox to get updates though.

K.
Old 28 June 2008, 01:34 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If it has a DVB-S card installed, it should be able to get free-sat. To get sky you'll need quite a fancy peice of kit which will require you to have a DVB-S card that will work with a CAM module (a slot that takes the sky card) and a CAM programmer (to program the CAM with the correct software to use Sky).

Sure its not a DVB-T card instead? - thats what most media PCs have. As that is terrestrial, not satelite (not helped as some have a f-type connector on the back - like the sky box has), in which case its needs a TV aerial, not a dish. It should however be able to take a composite or RF feed from a skybox.

This is what most people do with sky. They hook up the RF aerial cable or feed a composite signal from the Scart output on the sky box. Both of which means you watch whats shown on the sky box, and you have nasty picture quality to boot (plus mono audio if its RF).

Last edited by Shark Man; 28 June 2008 at 01:44 PM.