Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

odd XP networking issue, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2008, 10:31 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question odd XP networking issue, any ideas?

Hi

Having trouble this end with one of our pcs intermittently dropping out of the network (just a workgroup of 6 XP machines, no server) however it still manages to find the shared internet connection on another PC and connect to the internet.

Running XP, SP2 (same as other PCs). Have changed net.cables, tried another network hub and checked and re-checked firewall settings and several virus scans turned up nothing. Very odd that it can access machines on the network intermittently.

Any ideas, before I reinstall XP?

Neil
Old 18 June 2008, 12:58 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

ip address conflict maybe?
Old 18 June 2008, 01:09 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the IP Stack is corrupted.

Run winsock repair and you might as well reset the TCP/IP as well (Winsock should do that, but what the hell )

WinSock XP Fix download and review - fix XP internet connectivity from SnapFiles
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
Old 18 June 2008, 05:38 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Jaytc2003 - no checked for that already, no conflicts

Roadrunner - thanks will try tomorrow. Already changed netcard today to see if that resolved it.

Neil
Old 18 June 2008, 09:27 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Also worth checking the IP address is not DHCP assigned. If in a workgroup it must be manually assigned for simplicity. I take it you are using the default gateway of the router or Unless you have configured one of the ICS PC's to run the gateway IP.
Another thing to look at is the Auto detect settings is not ticked, this is ticked for some bizarre reason by default. This may have happened if someone has reset to default settings. This will cause intermittent network problems.

Last edited by scoobz72; 18 June 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:17 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

also might be worth forcing the connection speed from auto to 100Mb and duplex to full - might be a renegotiation problem
Old 19 June 2008, 12:25 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoobz72
Also worth checking the IP address is not DHCP assigned. If in a workgroup it must be manually assigned for simplicity. I take it you are using the default gateway of the router or Unless you have configured one of the ICS PC's to run the gateway IP.
Another thing to look at is the Auto detect settings is not ticked, this is ticked for some bizarre reason by default. This may have happened if someone has reset to default settings. This will cause intermittent network problems.
OK, done winsock reset, just testing again.

All the machines on the network have DHCP assigned addresses (as suggested on Microsofts website) To be honest I'd much rather use fixed IP addresses but had problems with machines not finding the shared internet connection when using fixed IPs (any ideas on workaround?)

Definately not a hardware issue, as swapped out cables, cards and hub to no effect.

Thanks for help thus far!

Neil

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2008, 01:17 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

When you say "drops off the network" what exactly is happening, or not as the case may be?? Does it stop accessing files on another PC or something else?

You might want to check the arp table on the problematic PC (when it’s not working), go to command prompt and type "arp -p" (with a space). Check the IP addresses/MAC addresses that are listed and then go around each PC and check that the IP address/MAC addresses match what’s in the arp table on the problematic PC:

i.e. arp table on duff PC lists 192.168.0.10 = 00-02-25-CB-89-4C so go to the PC with IP 192.168.0.10 and check the MAC address of the PC. If they don't match then the duff PC is receiving crap from something on your network.

I had a similar problem a few weeks back where a customer’s PC's would intermittently connect to the internet (lan access was fine). No problems with ADSL as other PC's were on the net at the same time. Eventually thought of checking the arp table on PC that wasn't working at the time and found the IP of the router in the arp table was listing a MAC address which did not belong to the router. We eventually found it belonged to an old 5 port switch that someone had plugged onto their network, removed it and bobs your uncle!

Might not be your problem but something else to check.
Old 21 June 2008, 10:36 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I posted this in another thread and it may be relevant here:

"You need to physically set the Speed and Duplex to 100/Full on the network card on your p.c. as this is what the netgear will be set to.

It's most likely a duplex mis-match.

To set the speed and duplex:
go to network properties
click 'Configure' on the network card
go to advanced
choose link speed/duplex
set to 100/full

Okay all the way out. "

See if that helps - weirdy duplex and speed mismatches can cause seemingly random drop outs
Old 21 June 2008, 12:28 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I posted this in another thread and it may be relevant here:

"You need to physically set the Speed and Duplex to 100/Full on the network card on your p.c. as this is what the netgear will be set to.

It's most likely a duplex mis-match.

To set the speed and duplex:
go to network properties
click 'Configure' on the network card
go to advanced
choose link speed/duplex
set to 100/full

Okay all the way out. "

See if that helps - weirdy duplex and speed mismatches can cause seemingly random drop outs
see post #6 !!!!
Old 21 June 2008, 12:57 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by warrenm2
see post #6 !!!!
ah yes... however MY answer was a complete breakdown of the required steps.

Clearly this demonstrates my superior knowledge.

I'm sorry... I appear to have slipped into DCI mode there.
Old 21 June 2008, 11:54 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Now I know this suggestion is not nearly as complex as the ones listed above, but I run the Network Setup Wizard in these circumstances. This seems to reset most things, and therefore fix most issues. (start>all programs>Accessories>communications>network setup wizard)

Having DHCP is not usually a problem, just so long as the DHCP server (your router) is reliable. You may as well start simple and see if Windows can fix itself.

Other than that it is worth double double checking that all the relevant service packs have been applied. There have been strange networking issues reported between machines running different service packs (I saw one last week).
Old 22 June 2008, 07:26 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above comment. If all you use is a switch and not a router, then you depend on windows DHCP, which to be honest is not that reliable. I would fix IP addresses, all the same workgroup. This method is not best practice but oddly is more reliable.
If one of the PC's is using ICS for internet, then set the DNS of the others to that IP.
Old 05 July 2008, 08:50 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

thanks for the replies al, sorry been a bit later coming back, been away on hols

Anyway, still got the same problem with the bl00dy pc - basically when it runs up it works fine and can access a mapped drives shared directory on another machine. However within 20 mins it loses access to that directory. I can ping that machine, but not access the mapped drive.

All other machines set up in the same manner work fine. Changed cables, NIC card, done the winsock fix, changed duplex and still the same issue!
Old 05 July 2008, 09:11 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

This could be MAC related. The NIC ard you used, is that from another machine?
Do all the PC's have onboard LAN sockets?
Also to give you more ideas, the subnet is the same?
Have you turned off the windows firewall? This will be protected via a router firewall or the ICS PC firewall.

As a last resort Neil, Try safe mode with networking, press f5 repeatedly at boot up to bring this menu up.
Old 07 July 2008, 11:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

anything in the event logs?