Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

malicious software - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2008, 08:15 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default malicious software - help needed

hi all

my dads laptop has had its security breached and a malicious software program installed itself.

i have removed his out of date av software and installed an up to date norton.this found a trojan and a dialer which have been dealt with.
i have removed as much of the visible software as i can but it still has a flashing icon next to the clock on the taskbar.
this icon looks like a mcafee shield and every so often a "system alert" balloon appears saying the system has found multiple spyware and i should click the balloon to install an up to date spychecker. if you left or right click the icon it directs me to the webpage for their antispycheck software which you have to buy.

anybody got any ideas how to find / remove this icon/link

cheers

colin
Old 15 June 2008, 09:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

what's the web page it directs you to? No doubt a search on that will provide removal instructions.
Old 15 June 2008, 12:29 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's possible the virus is exploiting the system restore facility in windows to re-install itself after you've cleared it with the AV software. Right click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Select the System Restore tab and check the box that says Turn off System Restore on all drives. Run the virus / malware check again, reboot and check it once more. You can turn System Restore back on when you're satisfied its gone.
Old 15 June 2008, 05:55 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies

the website does not give much info.they do give their contact details but i dont want to give any of my info incase its a dodgy company

reading a few other threads i downloaded spybot and it found 30 threats that my other software hadnt found.

its amazing that freeware can do a much better job then well known purchased products.

off to make a contribution to their cause

cheers

colin