Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MacBook and MSN problem

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2008, 09:23 AM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MacBook and MSN problem

One of the kids has a MacBook which has version 10.5.3 software on it. She has the Mac version of MSN installed but every time she tries to use it a message comes up saying 'Sign in to Microsoft Messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet.' I know it's connected to the internet and the firewall is set to allow allow all incoming connections. MSN works fine on my Windows PC which is using the same internet connection so surely it's got to be something to do with Mac?

I have googled this problem and discovered lots of people have the same trouble, but no body seems to have a solution.

I can only just find my way around a Windows PC, so this MacBook is hard work!!

Can any one help??
Old 10 June 2008, 01:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

How very strange. Apple did change/fix a problem with DNS in 10.5.3, so it is possible this change might be causing a problem.

I don't use the official MSN app, but will download it and test on my 10.5.3 machines and see if I get the error and if I can work out what is happening.

In the meantime, and actually I'd recommend it for the long term, instead of using MSN, go and download a copy of Adium. It's a multi-protocol IM client, and it does handle MSN very well indeed. It also supports skinning, so you can have a nice small buddies list, instead of the horribly huge one in MSN.

As the Mac MSN client is so limited (no video, or other features that are available on the PC client) I don't see a problem in not using it and going with Adium instead. There is also the fact that Adium will handle other IM clients too, so if you happen to have multiple IM accounts, you can use them all with Adium, rather than having to have separate IM apps.
Old 10 June 2008, 05:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One thing you may want to try is. When you get the sign in dialog, select the "Clear History" option, and then see if the sign in works.
Old 10 June 2008, 08:39 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
One thing you may want to try is. When you get the sign in dialog, select the "Clear History" option, and then see if the sign in works.

She's gone with the Adium option and seems quite happy with that. Thanks for your help Markus.
Old 11 June 2008, 12:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No problem at all