Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Should CS (Counter Strike) Threads Be Allowed In This Forum? Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2002, 11:56 AM
Shaggy Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

CS is arguably Computer Related as it is do with the use of computers and involves a lot of knowledge regarding servers, PCs, routing etc etc

However, because there are a lot of posts regarding CS, then some people seem to think that the scoobynet CS community should be asked to leave scoobynet & set up their own bbs or perhaps should have their own forum within scoobynet.

Please enter reasoned arguments for and against.
Old 31 January 2002, 11:59 AM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

I don't care, wish everyone would stop moaning
Old 31 January 2002, 12:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that there are enough peeps interested in CS to justify a CS forum here.
Old 31 January 2002, 12:02 PM
Modrapheniac
Scooby Regular

Red face

It seems that every other thread at the moment is CS related ! I agree that it should be moved to it's own BBS, to stop clogging up resources.
You're all gonna hate me now aren't you ?

Darrell

BTW The PC is still for sale !!
Old 31 January 2002, 12:03 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Its as simple as this.

Computer Related Forum
IT, Games, Consoles, PC's, etc
We are all scoobynet members, and most of the members of the STi clan even own scoobies.

Until such time as Simon tells us that we can't post in here then I don't see why we shouldn't.

Andrew.
Old 31 January 2002, 12:04 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I think we should just use Damajas BBS when it's up and running.
Old 31 January 2002, 12:07 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well I'll just keep posting on here (this BBS, under this forum), until:

a) Another forum is created
b) I get kicked out (for posting relevent posts in a relevent forum)

I don't see why a set of people with joint interests (i.e a Scoob and CS) should move off here because people dont like the level of interest created by it.

If this is the kind of feeling on the board, then why do we have the muppet forum? (not that it bothers me, because IM NOT THAT SAD)

What a strange world I live in

--
Mikee

Old 31 January 2002, 12:09 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Question

shaggy : not sure this was the best time to post this topic....

opinions are running high on this topic currently

AND i am already in discussion with Moderators....and hence SDB about this issue.

Peeps please dont inflame the situation anymore by posting stuff in here.......thats a bit inflammatory !!

Lets see what i can discuss with ChrisB and him with SDB about formally having a new Computer Games Forum (with me as moderator of course )

Thanks

Steve
Old 31 January 2002, 12:14 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

All for a games section, within this BBS. I am an avid games player too and have nothing against those who play CS Contrary to popular belief
Old 31 January 2002, 12:17 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I dont mind the threads at all, apart from the ones that say Counter Strikle in the title 3 or 4 times! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Ask any people into online gaming what CS, UT, HL etc are in relation to that and they know.
Old 31 January 2002, 12:17 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

In all fairness, no body has a god-given right to post anywhere on this forum, so need for anger ([img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])from anyone

Although, people who say they'll keep posting til they get kicked out (or such ) obviously have no respect for the members of this BBS.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 1/31/2002 12:19:32 PM]
Old 31 January 2002, 12:19 PM
Shaggy Dog
Scooby Regular

Steve

I would've said it was topical rather than inflamatory.

There's not a great deal of point in not discussing it openly and as adultly as we can manage.

Besides, it will give the moderators a chance to guage the feelings running and see arguments for and against from the whole scoobynet community.
Old 31 January 2002, 12:22 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

personally dont really see the need for seperate computer + computer gaming forums.

Old 31 January 2002, 12:38 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

You can name me by name you know, I don't mind

As for respect. Posting on a BBS under a relevent forum, by doing that we/I respect other members of the BBS. If I didnt respect people, then I'd put my posts in Non scooby related and not give two sh%ts about what people think. Moving CS posts off the BBS seems a little extreme to me. If there is such an interest (which there is, hence the complaints about number of posts) from Scoob owning CS fans....create a new thread).

So I will stick by my earlier comment albeit with further comment, in that I will continue to post to this forum until another one is created that we can post in without complaint, I am specfically told by a modorator(sp?) that CS posts are not allowed (in what is *currently* the relevent forum, or I get banned.

And again... what a strange world we live in

--
Mikee

Old 31 January 2002, 12:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Me?

I think keep it here, but at a push get a separate forum.

As kind as damaja is for his offer of a bbs, I'm already a member of a dozen or so bbs's & I very very rarely go to them

Besides, if we were "thrown" off - which I think is unlikely - then I'm sure a number of people would stop posting on Scoobynet & some people would give up playing CS. That would be a shame as at the moment we are all united by both CS & scoobies.

The STi clan even has it's own scooby meets (Lan game!!)

I think the two are inseparable & should stay on Scoobynet.

Old 31 January 2002, 12:46 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Enemies spotted, need backup, GoGoGo !!

I'm sure it'll sort itself out if we all wait patiently.

Chill people...............(or I'll shoot you all)
Old 31 January 2002, 12:53 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Question

First things first! I think everyone should calm down.

People posting CS threads in the Computer Related forum is completely correct. At least our posts are on topic. How many times have you seen "what tyre size?" etc posted in the General forum rather than the Tyres and Wheels forum?

The Computer Related forum was created because the "computer" threads were taking over the Non-related Scooby forum.

Now the CS Threads are taking over this forum why not give us our own forum on Scoobynet?

Matt
Old 31 January 2002, 12:56 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If the CS posts are stopped on the board does this mean the UT / RTCW / PS2 / [insert favorite game here] thread are also not allowed. Just because more people play CS than any of these games there is more traffic.

Maybe the topic of exhausts should be removed from the board as that comes up every other thread within the ScoobyNet General / General Technical / Drivetrain sections.

The exhaust comment above is over the top but so is the anti CS movment, IHMO

[Edited by orbv - 1/31/2002 12:58:30 PM]
Old 31 January 2002, 12:57 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol @ DJ - m8 your keeping the CS threads at the top of this forum with all your posts great support, thanks

Seriously, I'm not going to let this issue annoy me as I believe ChrisB/SDB will make the right decision, but all I'll say is that I agree 100% with what Mike and Andrew are saying.

rr - life is to short, especially for u lot when I’m playing in CS

Old 31 January 2002, 12:57 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Indeed, why not Can I come ?

But seriously, I agree that the CS community has a lot to offer this BBS in terms of computer related input and it would be a shame to see it disappear 'completely'.
Old 31 January 2002, 01:07 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

corner
Old 31 January 2002, 01:37 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Angry

Really cant believe people see the need to even bring this up. Its something a group of people from Scoobynet do hence it is discussed on Scoobynet in the most appropriate forum. If you dont like it a) dont read the threads or b) stay in the forums that do interest you.

Old 31 January 2002, 01:58 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

What's the big dealIf people don't want to read the CS threads then don't.

CS belongs in this forum; if members of this BBS want to discuss it then here is the place to do it. If I want to discuss my Scooby or things about my Scooby that are non technical then I post in General. If I want to discuss my PC or things about my PC then I post in here.

Unless there's a technical reason for not allowing CS threads, I see no reason for stopping them.

Mike
Old 31 January 2002, 02:17 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, butIwouldimaginesomeofthecomplaintshappenbecausepu ttingCOUNTERSTRIKECOUNTERSTRIKECOUNTERSTRIKECOUNTE RSTRIKECOUNTERSTRIKECOUNTERSTRIKE in the thread title screws up the layout of the BBS if you are using a smaller resolution. Makes the entire thing difficult to read
Old 31 January 2002, 02:53 PM
ChrisB

Exclamation

Easy guys! At least let me have my lunchtime UT session in peace. (Shut it Steve )

For starters, no one is being banned, asked to stop posting or kicked off. At present, this is indeed the correct forum for CS threads. However, as an example, yesterday afternoon 19 of the 30 threads on the front page of this forum were about CS.

I spoke to Steve for quite a while on MSN last night about this. The CS regulars seem to number approx 20 members. When you look at the total number of members of SN, that’s less than 1% according to my abacus. Admittedly, many of those members are people with more than one account etc but it’s still only a small number. What percentage of Computing forum regulars that makes up, I have no idea.

I’ve had a couple of comments from people that they no longer visit this forum regularly as they aren’t interested in CS. That’s a loss IMO as it’s the huge amount of knowledge in here that makes it so useful. We’ve managed to solve all manner of problems and help each other. When folks stop visiting, then the effectiveness of the forum starts to decline.

The old argument that people don’t have to read the CS threads is valid. However, when the over 60% of the threads are CS then you don’t really get much choice. It’s my belief that once a topic gets onto page two, it’s dead even if it’s not been answered or is still worth debating.

Perhaps a new Gaming forum is the answer? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. IMO, a dedicated CS forum is a step too far though. Why? Because you then are on the road of having a forum for everything. The index page is going to be three screens long and you just end up splitting the community more and more. Simon kindly provides our community with a platform but can’t extend it for us to have forums to discuss everything and anything.

Does each CS session or server booking need it’s own thread? How about just one thread starting “[CS] Server Bookings” or something like that? The [CS] tag will stop screwing up the page formatting for folks with small monitors – is there really any need to put Counter Strike three times in the thread title?

I’m going to down to the Catalunya Rally in March. We’ve set-up a Yahoo Group for the people in our convoy rather than keep chucking threads in International. We get the benefit of “closed” membership so can post the details of hotels safely and we don’t upset the other users of the International forum. Likewise, I know a number of regional groups exist on Yahoo Groups which mainly consist of ScoobyNetters.

As an example, I’m on a mailing list that generates over 5000 messages a month – an average day will be 300+ mails. You name it, it gets discussed. Subject creep is mind boggling. However, there is an offshoot list for discussing PC gaming and another of PS gaming. Not everyone on the list wants to talk about games so the hardcore gamers are responsible and have their own arena to carry on discussions and hence respect the views of the other list members.

There is no right and wrong answer here though. Either way, somebody is going to be upset. But hey, that’s life, and at times you just have to put with the crappy bits. If the final decision upsets you and you leave ScoobyNet, then that’s your decision and your decision only. However, I would hope everyone is mature enough not to lob the toys out of the pram just because they can’t have their way. Life is all about compromising.

I’d suggested a Yahoo Group or Smart Group for Clan STi as it’s got a number of benefits over ScoobyNet like a choice of e-mail or web interface for posting, digests, share files area etc.

There’s no need to get heated and angry about this. This is only a online forum and CS is only a game. Hence, I ask that is everyone is sensible and responsible. Please keep the discussion in this thread and don’t go charging off around the board creating more threads (ey Norm? )

Finally, for the record, I don’t currently play CS. I’ve downloaded all the patches but just haven’t got round to picking up a copy of the game yet.

Chris.
Old 31 January 2002, 03:03 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chris can i just say

UT Playing Pansy

Edited to say : sorry chris pressed submit by mistake....see my post a few down which has take me ages to write and was supposed to be part of this one

[Edited by Steve Perriam - 1/31/2002 3:19:04 PM]
Old 31 January 2002, 03:05 PM
ChrisB

Thanks for the input there Steve
Old 31 January 2002, 03:09 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Chris,

I can understand what you are saying, but ...

Having to look past page one to get at a thread is a pretty poor excuse for trying to remove the CS threads from the forum.

If I only ever looked at page 1 of the general forum then I would miss most of the important stuff as it only seems to be the stupid muppet posts that stay on page one.

Secondly, if we go off and form a yahoo group or whatever then that is fine for the existing CS players but what about anyone new who comes along and isn't even aware that there is this STi clan happening and that it is so active.

If the couple of us that started this all had gone away and kept to ourselves then there is no way that we would have the 20 or so active members that we have today.

Just my 2p worth, this is a new experience, never been a part of something that has been such a victim of its own success before

Andrew.
Old 31 January 2002, 03:10 PM
Stig
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well, until Dam gets the BBS sorted, there's now STi_Clan@yahoogroups.com to play on.

Subscribe by sending a blank email to STi_clan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I can understand if a few original clan members get their feathers ruffled by a noob setting this up, but that's all I've done. You all moderate and share equal priveleges. As before, just being a Scoobynet contributor gives you the right to join.

So there you go. If no-one bothers I'll just delete it and we can wait until Dam gets his sorted.
Old 31 January 2002, 03:13 PM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

www.cshq.co.uk is being set up on my dedicated server as the heated debate continues.

Quick Reply: Should CS (Counter Strike) Threads Be Allowed In This Forum? Discuss