Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SKY broadband ??

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2008, 03:27 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SKY broadband ??

Just in the process of going from Orange broadband to SKY broadband ( waitting on MAC code from orange ) have choosen the mid leval sky b/band package up to 8mb / 40GB download etc, anyone here using this particular provider, any probs ?? happy enough with the overall service ??

lastly bit confused about the 40GB download limit, does this mean I can d/load up to 40GB off stuff on the net ie. films / music etc if required without being charged any extra ?? being that a fim is normally say 700mb or so I take it 40GB is normally enough for most users ??!!
Old 10 May 2008, 03:50 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jono300
Just in the process of going from Orange broadband to SKY broadband ( waitting on MAC code from orange ) have choosen the mid leval sky b/band package up to 8mb / 40GB download etc, anyone here using this particular provider, any probs ?? happy enough with the overall service ??

lastly bit confused about the 40GB download limit, does this mean I can d/load up to 40GB off stuff on the net ie. films / music etc if required without being charged any extra ?? being that a fim is normally say 700mb or so I take it 40GB is normally enough for most users ??!!
I've got the base level package and it's awful in comparison to the base Virgin Media package I was on previously.

The problem would appear to be that Sky have massively underestimated the number of people who would take them up on their 3 services package (i.e. TV, broadband and phone), hence at peak periods it crawls. I'd also advise you not to use the netgear router they supply as it's utter cr*p. I never had any problems connecting with my linksys router but this one is very temperamental and Sky supply it locked down with their configuration. You can get around this and access the router by going to 192.168.0.1 btw - google it for more.

As for downloads - I would assume, like a website download limit, it represents how much you can download for the month before they'll cut off your access. After that you'll just get reset at the end of the month. TBH if you download 40GB of stuff in one month you must be using it A LOT!

My advice? Go with someone better if you can afford it.
Old 10 May 2008, 04:34 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers anyone else care to comment ??
Old 10 May 2008, 05:13 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Of the 3 I've 'set up' for mates/family, I haven't notices any problem. All 3 tend to use wireless rather than connect to the router and none of any problems with speed or stability.

What ever time of day I've used it, it's been fine.

I also use a Netgear (non-sky) as do all of my family - all solid and reliable.

The only reason I could see for not going Sky is if you are a O2 customer and they are in your exchange - they're very good and don't have a set download limit and prices start at £7.50.
Old 10 May 2008, 05:37 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i have sky b/band package up to 8mb / 40GB download and sky talk and i can't fault it .bt (£20 odd )said my line could only support 1mb speed soon as i changed to sky (£5)same line is now showing just over 4mb
Old 10 May 2008, 05:42 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks also for the info, have been with Orange since the wanadoo days and must admitt although apparantly they have been voted worst broadband provider I have personally never had any bother with them, phoned them yesterday to cancel and was passed to an other operator who asked me if I was interested in staying with them at acost off £9.99 for an even faster service than the one I had with them which belive it or not was 512 at £14.99 a month - yep !!!

had been advised that they would more than likely offer you this deal so had made up my mind prior to being offered this deal, waitting on the Mac code being sent to my email addy and have already phoned sky to make arrangments to transfer over to them, getting sky + / free calls and the middle bb package all for £25 + £10 line rental per month, there is a £25 set up fee normally £50 but being a sky tv customer already received the discount.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:42 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

go for the no limits one on the sky broadband ( £5 if you have a sky package ), no probs at all , but the router can be "tempermental" though , customer service is not bad
Old 12 May 2008, 02:12 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I changed from Virgin to Sky Broadband about a year and a half ago. Initially the service was troublesome due to the huge initial take up and their inability to cope, but it has settled now and is pretty much trouble free. Sky email initially was APPALLING but they now use google for their email service which is extremely reliable.

Sky broadband has been ultra reliable and has only been down once in 8 months (which was a major global server issue for them which lasted 1 day). I'm on the mid package and get a 6meg connection all day and night with little noticable slowdown.

I have sky+, phone package and mid Broadband .............. which is available to all for £26 a month all in.

Due to the pricing of the package a good few family member anmd friends have converted to sky and enjoy an equally reliable service.
Old 12 May 2008, 03:49 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bighead
go for the no limits one on the sky broadband ( £5 if you have a sky package ), no probs at all , but the router can be "tempermental" though , customer service is not bad
i have the extra £5 and it's not unlimited it's up to 8mb download and 40 gig download i think the unlimited one is an extra £10
Old 12 May 2008, 04:23 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've got it, albeit Sky Broadband Connect. Initial speeds they promised until full sky broadband came to my area was 500k based on my line.

They set it up, never had any more than 250k - it was dire, can't believe we ever managed with it but websites are so much more intense these days.

Phoned tech support, worked through the probs, they did a re-initialise with BT and bang 8Meg link - no probs since.

Happy customer here
Old 12 May 2008, 04:36 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

got sky boardband 8mb with 40gb limit and its ok but cumtomer service is isn't great the indian call centre didn't know what a xbox was when i rung up to ask them to lower my pings.

Last edited by richie001; 12 May 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12 May 2008, 11:12 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
i have the extra £5 and it's not unlimited it's up to 8mb download and 40 gig download i think the unlimited one is an extra £10

hehe ...I have up to 16mb download speed (average 10-11 mb) and unlimited download the last time I checked !

yes unlimited is £10 ...my bad
Old 13 May 2008, 09:32 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the broadband £5 per month package - I get approx 5.1MB.
I've not had any problems - never had speed issues either.

Regarding the router - I thought it was fine.
I've got 3 people in work with the same router and recommended this router to 2 other people which I then configured.
Practically sets itself up

Shaun
Old 14 May 2008, 10:29 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I'm on the intermediate package with Sky.

Had it since Jan 2007, get 4.0Mb - 4.5Mb all day and night (my exchange is only capable of 4.5Mb at the moment anyway).

I use the supplied netgear router on wireless and I haven't had any problems. Apart from one day I haven't experienced any down time at all and it's on virtually every evening and weekend.

I also do a fair bit of online gaming with my PS3 (wireless as well) and haven't had any issues with that either.
Old 18 May 2008, 11:42 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed a lot of you pay for the extra intermediate or higher packages. As stated, I have just the base package - the equivalent Virgin package offers far better bang for your buck IMHO (even though their customer service is total toss).

I'd be interested to see what the real download speeds are for SKY - although I'm supposedly on 2MB, the reality is normally around 512K-600K if you run tests with proper utlities and online ping tools etc. i.e. a complete lie!

What the router tells you the connection speed is tends to be total tosh from what I've seen. And it's the wireless I have issues with - if you're close to the station - i.e. within 3-8 feet it tends to have real issues connecting laptops. My desktop upstairs - fine. Linksys one was always fine.
Old 18 May 2008, 02:51 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

There should be some 'real' numbers for all of the big adsl providers coming out soon as samknows are installing a passthrough router into 200 premises which will gather unbiased realworld statistics.

Samknows Broadband - Performance Monitoring FAQ

I am one of the 200
Old 20 May 2008, 12:07 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
I've noticed a lot of you pay for the extra intermediate or higher packages. As stated, I have just the base package - the equivalent Virgin package offers far better bang for your buck IMHO (even though their customer service is total toss).

I'd be interested to see what the real download speeds are for SKY - although I'm supposedly on 2MB, the reality is normally around 512K-600K if you run tests with proper utlities and online ping tools etc. i.e. a complete lie!

What the router tells you the connection speed is tends to be total tosh from what I've seen. And it's the wireless I have issues with - if you're close to the station - i.e. within 3-8 feet it tends to have real issues connecting laptops. My desktop upstairs - fine. Linksys one was always fine.
the base package though isnt using sky technology, it is using the bt adsl max which fluctuates wildly. You could sync at 6mb but only download at 1mb depending on total usage at that exchange (on the bt max service)

The sky LLU which I have on the max package, I sync around about 12mb and can download from decent servers at 1.1 mb with little fluctuation.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:09 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
I'm on the intermediate package with Sky.

Had it since Jan 2007, get 4.0Mb - 4.5Mb all day and night (my exchange is only capable of 4.5Mb at the moment anyway).
exchange will be capable of more than 4.5mb as that isnt bt wholesale service offered. The chances are that is the rate at which your line will support.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:43 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
exchange will be capable of more than 4.5mb as that isnt bt wholesale service offered. The chances are that is the rate at which your line will support.
Possibly, all I know is that when I followed a link on here (can't find it anymore though ) and it gave details of capabilities of exchanges by postcode. On my local exchange it gave the maximum download speeds capable from that exchange as 4.5Mb.

I'm not really up on all this though so it probably is for my line.....the result is the same for me though