Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why can't I get to Hotmail... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2008, 07:55 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't I get to Hotmail... :-(

Mozilla Thunderbird via Hotmail Popper times out connecting to 127.0.0.1 (used it for, literally, years and never had a problem)

Logon via Sign In just sits at "Waiting for mail.live.com...." after entering password, eventually timing out.

And right now, Sign In is just timing out

ISP is Eclipse....

Old 03 May 2008, 08:15 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Now can't can't past first page of Natwest online banking logon (and a few other financial institutions)

Have cleared all programs from ZoneAlarm allowed program list - no change

Running AVG 7.5.524 with everything up to date

:-(
Old 03 May 2008, 08:38 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartinM
Mozilla Thunderbird via Hotmail Popper times out connecting to 127.0.0.1 (used it for, literally, years and never had a problem)

Logon via Sign In just sits at "Waiting for mail.live.com...." after entering password, eventually timing out.

And right now, Sign In is just timing out

ISP is Eclipse....

It might be a problem on your computer rather than ISP... 127.0.0.1 is the localhost address.

Is your antivirus / firewall / etc running correctly?
Old 03 May 2008, 09:39 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

127.0.0.1 is the normal address to set Hotmail Popper to...see Download Hotmail Popper 3.0.2 Free Trial - Hotmail Popper - Access Hotmail using any POP mail client instead of Outlook Express - Softpedia

...and as I say, I've been using it for years and it's always worked a treat.

Also, it wouldn't explain why I can get to the Hotmail login page via FF or IE, but when I enter my password, both browsers eventually hang with

"The connection was reset.
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

I'm getting a bit paranoid now...

:-(
Old 04 May 2008, 09:15 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Well, it got so bad last night I couldn't even post on this thread (but a lot of other web sites still worked fine) ... and it was across all 3 computers in the house, despite reboots, virus checking (incl. HijackThis etc) etc

But this morning, with no changes my end, everything is perfect again. ISP problems methinks....

Cheers, Martin
Old 04 May 2008, 09:11 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

What's going on??? This is starting to drive me nuts - it all started to go wrong again about 1000 this morning (again)

I can send emails through Thunderbird to smtp.eclipse.co.uk if they have no attachments, but if they do, they hang at 49% sent; I can't get inside any websites that I have to log into using HTTPS, and I can't get to places like Sky Sports | Home at all

Help.......

....and this post had some ping examples at the end, but with them present it won't post, but without them it will...
Old 04 May 2008, 09:30 PM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

email me mate you might have to upgrade the hotmail site to live thats what i done once this happened to me

wadster_69er@hotmail.co.uk

email me too see if it works !

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2008, 09:51 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

YHM....maybe
Old 08 May 2008, 11:46 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Finally tracked it down - and posting here for posterity....

After installing XP on a fresh HD had exactly the same problem - so started getting a bit cavalier with all sorts of settings for the networking in the registry (nothing to lose, as opposed to my other HD with all my life's work on it - yes it's backed up to NAS as well)...

...and came across TCP Optimizer at SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

So fiddled with that and via a mixed packet size test it suggested that my maximum MTU should be 1406 whereas it was set to 1500...and let me click a button to set it so.

And after a reboot, all is working stonkingly - which is both a and a at the same time.

Then #2 son tells me that his PC has been playing up on Facebook and Natwest online with the same symptoms...so a fix is on the way for him too. Grrr...that might have helped the diagnosis had he told me that earlier

So the final piece of the jigsaw is why the change sometime early last weekend - has my ISP (Eclipse) been fiddling with something on my ADSL link??
Old 09 May 2008, 12:02 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

...and is there a downside to having 1406 - more packets for a given amount of traffic, so more packet overhead and hence slower performance?
Old 09 May 2008, 09:06 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Just seen this thread.........

I had similar problems with AOL when i was setting up my new laptop. The MTU setting for AOL needs to be max 1400.

Pete The Biker