Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iphones down to £169

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2008, 08:53 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they made a mistake by going exclusive to O2, that's a lot of your potential market gone right there.

The other mistake they made was making it a ****e phone
Old 16 April 2008, 09:01 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I think they made a mistake by going exclusive to O2, that's a lot of your potential market gone right there.

The other mistake they made was making it a ****e phone
Dont worry about pete, he is only pissed off because he didnt get one for xmas and also slightly miffed at having his advances rejected by me

02 had to drop the price because of Tmobile dropping their prices in Germany a few weeks ago.
Also the new generation should be with us by July and they need to clear inventory
Old 16 April 2008, 09:21 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Exactly why I've held off for now, iPhone 2 was expected to be announced at WWDC in June but not ship until September.

One supplier to Apple has let slip about the 3G gubbin's they've provided and there's been leaked photo's going about intended to make it look "less plasticky", needs a better camera & GPS though IMHO.

Main problem is that we in the UK expect a free to be free on contract, maybe Apple have started to realise that.

Any word on new pricing for the 16gigger?
Old 16 April 2008, 09:53 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by **************
Carphone Whorehouse is still listing the old prices on their website and the ad in the paper only listed the new price for the 8gb.

It shows as £169 when you add it to your basket. Same price from the O2 website.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:04 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Isn't it only the 8Gb thats reduced?
Old 16 April 2008, 10:15 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

HUKD is alight with people buying these up. I'm still not convinced that O2 won't block the phone if you bypass the contract activation by unlocking it.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

That's cheaper than an iPod touch! What a cracking price for a cracking piece of kit.

Good work Apple.
Old 16 April 2008, 11:49 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

V2 is only a software upgrade, mind you

Dan
Old 16 April 2008, 11:57 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
V2 is only a software upgrade, mind you

Dan
V2 is a software upgrade but mk2 or iphone2 is a redesign with 3G, longer battery life to cope with the demands from the 3G, slight change to the screen components etc
Old 16 April 2008, 12:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'll place a bet on September being the earliest for the new iPhone, 8gig will be phased out first, then software update 2, then loads of lovely apps, then and only then will we see a new iPhone.
Old 16 April 2008, 02:00 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

If the 8gb is being phased out, do you expect a 32gb iphone to appear along with 64gb touch?
Old 16 April 2008, 02:17 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

don't forget the N96 is on it's way too
Old 16 April 2008, 02:29 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I would much much rather a decent free phone and a larger iPod Touch than an iPhone. (indeed thats exactly what I did)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:45 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
That's cheaper than an iPod touch! What a cracking price for a cracking piece of kit.
Exactly!

I'm very tempted to buy now....then buy the 3G iPhone later on and pass the 8gb one onto our lass!

Just waiting for O2's response to if I can swap the Sim/contract to the 3G phone when it arrives and if our lass can upgrade her current o2 Sim/contract to the iPhone one.
Old 16 April 2008, 02:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

What's so bad about the phone part of an iphone? Surely the phone part is the same as on all mobiles in terms of signal quality etc? It only needs to make and receive calls so how have they got that wrong? Then on top of that you get the ipod touch so not having actually used one i'm at a loss as to why people say the iphone is cr4p but the touch is great. Surely they are the same except one makes and receives calls
The iPhone is much thicker. You are paying more for less capacity. The phone functionality is not as good a standard phone you can get on a similar contract for free.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
The iPhone is much thicker. You are paying more for less capacity. The phone functionality is not as good a standard phone you can get on a similar contract for free.
What a load of bollocks. It's not "much thicker" it's a bit thicker, but still the slimmest phone you're likely to own. The phone functionality is exactly the same as a standard phone other than it's integration with current and future iPhone apps, which is performed flawlessly and beautifully. And right now you're paying less for the same capacity!!

I think it's the 'Free' bit that turned a lot of people's noses up, they thought the price would be rolled into their contract as with other phones. Wake up! There's no such thing as a free phone.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:24 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

but the cheapest iphone contract is still £35 a month - which is what I'm currently paying for a Sony Ericsson K850i & an Xbox 360 which didn't cost be a penny up front (just a slagging match in Phones 4 U )
Old 16 April 2008, 03:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

£35 a month is cheap, 600 minutes and 500 texts, international texts included in contract, cheap international dialing, unlimited mobile data, free access at wifi hotspots, free music every week.

Plus you'll never know the wonder of Visual Voicemail.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:41 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Just had a response from O2 - I can do everything I asked for. (impressed with quick reply too)

My only issues now are

1. Getting out of my Virgin Mobile contract. They have recently changed their T&C's a lot so I reckon I could get out of that

2. What if the 3G iPhone is with some other provider who give more mins/texts etc. Or not even with O2?! I'll be stuck on an 18 month contract then!

But I soooooooooo want an iPhone NOW
Old 16 April 2008, 03:51 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have a Nokia 8210

It text's so thats good enough for me
Old 16 April 2008, 04:00 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
£35 a month is cheap, 600 minutes and 500 texts, international texts included in contract, cheap international dialing, unlimited mobile data, free access at wifi hotspots, free music every week.

Plus you'll never know the wonder of Visual Voicemail.
Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is a fantastic bit of kit and I'd love one, but it came down to the following...

Pay £329 for an iPhone or
Get a SE K850i & XBox 360 Aracde for £0.

I don't even use vanilla voicemail... I was trying to justify it to myself that I recoup some of the money by selling my Video iPod as I wouldn't need it anymore - but you wouldn't need that much more to get a Mac mini.

Basically for the cost of an iPhone, you could have an N95, a 360 & a PS3 and still have change left over...

I wouldn't redicule anyone for buying an iPhone, cos I'd love one myself but looking at other deals and what you can blag with it, it just seems a bit of a con - I'd love to see other networks offering it as we'd hopefuly get a lot more competition - it's seems like it o2 having a laugh rather than Apple.
Old 16 April 2008, 04:02 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

We have been able to assemble a functional nanocluster that incorporates two electron donating groups, and position them precisely 0.32 nm apart so that they can form a totally new type of molecular switching device
what they saying is..they have made a lot more space for their Proclaimers album ..bunch of geeks
Old 16 April 2008, 04:03 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna be (500 terabytes)

Quick Reply: iphones down to £169