Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pipex - any good for business use ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2008, 03:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipex - any good for business use ?

We've been having some problems with our fail-over internet line, on which we use Be There as an ISP.

We've been plagued with dropped connections, and whilst it may not be the fault of the ISP, I'm not keen on them.

I'm going to switch to a different spare line

Just wondering if anyone is using Pipex for their DSL ?
Old 14 April 2008, 10:49 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

We re-sell Nildram Broadband, who are owned by Pipex, so not exactly with Pipex themselves but all under the same net.

Find them pretty good really, good support etc.

Use to use Pipex for my home ADSL and was fine, until I moved to current company as I could then get it free
Old 15 April 2008, 12:23 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

yeah, I heard they owned Nildram. I would've looked at Nildram having used them in the past, but comparitively, their prices are pretty steep compared to Pipex.
Old 15 April 2008, 01:34 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

isnt it tiscalli now

Dont know about the buisness one but i know a few home users who have been complaining about it recently.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:34 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

We are a small business (35 employees) and have had Pipex Managed Business Broadband 2000 (basically a 2MB line where they provide the router preconfigured and install it) for a number of years.

Reliability-wise its been good overall, although when we have had problems the support has been feckin' awful to date. Fortunately we dont have many issues so I dont have to speak to the muppets too often.

A number of people I spoke to when I looked at changing were recommending Demon.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:46 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beefy
We are a small business (35 employees) and have had Pipex Managed Business Broadband 2000 (basically a 2MB line where they provide the router preconfigured and install it) for a number of years.

Reliability-wise its been good overall, although when we have had problems the support has been feckin' awful to date. Fortunately we dont have many issues so I dont have to speak to the muppets too often.

A number of people I spoke to when I looked at changing were recommending Demon.
I'll check them out Beefy.

Pipex seem to offer very good value for the speeds they "claim" (upload / download) although we're a fair distance from the exchange so can only get 4Mb/s and there's no cable/opitcal in the area.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:47 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
isnt it tiscalli now

Dont know about the buisness one but i know a few home users who have been complaining about it recently.
Yes, that’s correct, it is Tiscalli now.

Generally we find Nildram (who we still deal with/speak to) pretty good. They very rarely have a service outage and when they do it's not for that long. Most problems with customer’s connections are usually down to the line/exchange so it's BT who normally bugger about.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:59 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Yes, that’s correct, it is Tiscalli now.

Generally we find Nildram (who we still deal with/speak to) pretty good. They very rarely have a service outage and when they do it's not for that long. Most problems with customer’s connections are usually down to the line/exchange so it's BT who normally bugger about.
Nildram is quite expensive, comparitively speaking. Plus we need a decent upload speed as the line is used for VPN.
Old 17 April 2008, 12:26 AM
ChrisB

Tiscali <shudder>
Old 18 April 2008, 06:16 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

If they are anything like what they are for private customers then i'd stay well clear of Pipex! I've had nothing but trouble and lies literally from day one with them
Old 18 April 2008, 07:26 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Hmm, ok.

It looks like there's no need to ditch Be There at the moment - I've diagnosed the "line fault" to a faulty router they sent, which we put into bridged mode and had non-stop line drops. We were going to switch provider, then line but the Draytek 100 I just hooked up to Be There is working faultlessly.