Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2008, 04:01 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 or Xbox 360?

Thinking of getting one of these next gen consoles but not sure which one.

Both have the same titles available/soon to be released, both equally good consoles but not sure which one is a good future proof console.

The Xbox 360 has dated technology however the fan base seems be huge no thanks to the royal **** up by Sony with the PS3. Xbox live seems to be a big hit as well so the 360 has a fair few plus points but I can't help feeling the PS3 will eventually show it's true colours and come out strong.

GTA 4 is supposed to be identical on both consoles however future games penned for the PS3 (some exclusive to each console) are looking good, I am pretty sure once developers get to grips with the power under the PS3 hood there will be some good games.

But.. the 360 is at a good price right now, has a big collection of games and the controls are really nice (I don't like the light PS3 controllers, too light and they should have kept the rumble pack in there). My only worry with the 360 is the amount of failures which seem common i.e where the system just bricks itself eventually from over heating or some other random problem.

I have been told the PS3's to get are the rare 60gb versions as they can play older PS2 titles (I have a massive collection of PS2 games), handle compact flash memory (so cheap and cheerful 1gb cards) as well as USB ports etc. Problem is they are going for over £500 on eBay!

So anyone's thoughts on which console to go for and why? (anyone own/tried both)
Old 30 March 2008, 05:26 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've had my 360 for a couple of years and it's never had a problem at all. It's never crashed, frozen or had the ring of death

Xbox live is great, you can get hold of some great games for relatively cheap prices. Some of my most played games are from the live market place - Sensible World of Soccer, Speedball II Brutal Deluxe etc. At one point I had my Elite hardwired to my router and my Premium connecting wirelessly allowing for two of us to go on Live and play against other people.

I've found plugging things into the 360 does not make any difference to it's performance. I constantly leave a dance mat, scene-it IR receiver, HD-DVD drive, iPod and wireless adaptor plugged in.

I really do like being able to wirelessly stream media from my laptop to the 360 (through media centre) as I've got the 360 linked to a surround sound system via optical cable.

I wouldn't be surprised that once the PS3 developers have learned how to get the best out of it, the third generation Xbox will be with us.
Old 30 March 2008, 06:39 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

The new chipset 360's are much better when it comes to failures than the first gen console, they use a lot less power and are much quieter. The current pricing on the 360 is also very good.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:39 AM
lem6
Scooby Regular

ps3 everytime + it has blu ray.
Old 30 March 2008, 12:15 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save any arguments and buy both + a wii

By the way, how does the xbox have dated technology ? both ps3 and 360 were developed the same time, the only reason for the delay was problems with the bluray drive
Old 30 March 2008, 12:30 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Not again
Old 30 March 2008, 12:36 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

I wouldn't be surprised that once the PS3 developers have learned how to get the best out of it, the third generation Xbox will be with us.
If MS don't sweet-talk Sony into letting them incorporate blu-ray I doubt there'll be a 3rd gen xbox...

agree with bob - both. both consoles have unique selling points.

Trending Topics

Old 30 March 2008, 12:39 PM
loony toon
Scooby Regular

360 anyday !!!!

to just get blu-ray on a console is a waste of time but im bias because i have it on my new dvd recorder thingy magiggy lol
Old 30 March 2008, 12:48 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
If MS don't sweet-talk Sony into letting them incorporate blu-ray I doubt there'll be a 3rd gen xbox...

agree with bob - both. both consoles have unique selling points.
Just to point out, MS are not using bluray of their own choice at the minute, Sony can not refuse them a license due to the laws on competition and fair trading etc.
Old 30 March 2008, 09:41 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you can, borrow both and make your own mind up. I did and perferred the PS3. There are lots that prefer the 360 though.

There are no killer titles on either, and it would appear that many developers are switching to developing on PS3 first and porting to others, so that may be worth thinking about.

Oh, if you like listening to jets flying overhead, you have two options,

1) Move next to Heathrow

2) Buy a 360

Geezer
Old 30 March 2008, 09:49 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I'm after a BR player to go with my new TV so the PS3 is what I'm getting. The samsung BR player is 200 quid so you may as well spend another 50 quid or so and buy the PS. I am not into gaming that much and will never play online so the xbox has no use.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:36 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I had a go on a 360 today, tried out various games and have to admit it's quite a well rounded package.

Going to try out a mates PS3 tomorrow and then make my mind up, I think I might go for the PS3 though, been looking at up and coming games and there are a few titles that I am looking forward to (Street Fighter IV, Midnight Club etc)
Old 30 March 2008, 11:40 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

If you plan on plenty of online play then simply get what all your mates have

As for ps3 for movies i've read fast panning scenes are crap on ps3 bluray, can anybody confirm or deny this ?
Old 31 March 2008, 09:48 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Just to point out, MS are not using bluray of their own choice at the minute, Sony can not refuse them a license due to the laws on competition and fair trading etc.
Are you sure? they can put MS over a barrel about how much the license will cost which could price them out of the market.

Despite MS's grand idea about everyone DLing games, it's just not viable yet, and not for at least another generation. The next xbox will be due in about 2 1/2 years which means it'll probably in development now - and it certainly needs a bigger optical storage medium than DVD can offer.

Which do you think Sony will prefer? making money out of every xbox sold, or being the only console manufacture standing in a couple of years time?*

* not counting the v-tech wii...
Old 31 March 2008, 09:57 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I don't think Sony are about to cut MS out of the BR loop, any more than they have cut Nikon out of their sensor loop. They just see $ signs (or Yen signs!), and MS would be a large source of income.

Large corporations don't work like fanboys, they just want to make money, and MS would supply that.

Geezer
Old 31 March 2008, 10:08 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Which do you think Sony will prefer? making money out of every xbox sold, or being the only console manufacture standing in a couple of years time?*

* not counting the v-tech wii...
Theres been talk by industry analysists that by time people are ready to switch from regular dvd (movies) then there will be better, cheaper, larger storage devices available and that bluray will simply miss the boat to become mainstream.

Anyways, only time will tell
Old 31 March 2008, 10:12 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Sony would never refuse MS a license - They would welcome them with open arms - It's another revenue stream for BluRay.
Old 31 March 2008, 10:20 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I was gonna ask the same question. Maybe its worth using your initial post to draw up a pro's and con's of each?

Personally Ive gone for the Wii but purely due to the mucking around factor and I cant justify a new HD TV at this time.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 31 March 2008, 11:37 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Ive been a 360 owner for 2 years now and wouldn't be without one, in fact i now own 2x Elites and recently bought a PS3.

The PS3 is good for Exclusive games, i really like Motorstorm but i thought Resistance was rubbish so why all the hype?
I use my 360 everyday but i haven't turned my PS3 on in 4 days apart from to watch a blu-ray or check the marketplace.

One REALLY annoying thing is updates and downloading demo's on the PS3, you have to download then install updates that take a minimum 20 minutes, when you just want to watch a movie this can be really annoying, the same goes for demo's too.

The 360 Downloads rare dashboard updates or game updates in a matter of seconds.

Overall after owning both the PS3 is a cheap blu-ray player and the 360 is a proper gaming community for me, id never be without one.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:54 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

If you just want to watch a film then just watch the film, you have to actually go to system update to DL the latest firmware...

On the whole though I think I'd agree with you, the 360 is my preferred gaming platform due to number of games available, superior controller & a fully fledged online capability - but the PS3 is a brilliant piece of AV kit, its just a shame that Sony seem to be currently overlooking its main faults...
Old 31 March 2008, 12:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sony don't own Blu-ray and there are loads of companies involved.

If MS wants to use it they can and will.

Blu-ray Disc Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 31 March 2008, 12:52 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Sony don't own Blu-ray and there are loads of companies involved.

If MS wants to use it they can and will.

Blu-ray Disc Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Of course they can - But, they don't get to use it for free - They have to pay a license fee, and the lions share of that belongs to Sony