Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360 Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2008, 06:54 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xbox 360 Steering Wheel?

Anyone got one of these? what are they like? are they any good with forza2?

and most importantly how much did you pay for it?
Old 16 March 2008, 07:17 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one

I'm a competative Forza player and finished 35th in last seasons Hot lap Championship on forzamotorsport.net. I really enjoy racing with the wheel but it does take some practice to get laptimes with it.

Some people will moan that it's not as good af the driving force pro from logitech but really who gives a "£$". It's less than half price of the DFP and does a great job as a console wheel.

can't remember the price I paid but it was when it launched so I'd say top whack.
Old 16 March 2008, 07:19 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Are these back on sale again after the recall?
Old 16 March 2008, 08:55 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

i have 1 of these i believe i paid 90 squid for it , im selling it for 30 notes official microsoft jobbie too , there pretty good but im more into my FPS's
Old 16 March 2008, 09:29 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black
I have one

I'm a competative Forza player and finished 35th in last seasons Hot lap Championship on forzamotorsport.net. I really enjoy racing with the wheel but it does take some practice to get laptimes with it.

Some people will moan that it's not as good af the driving force pro from logitech but really who gives a "£$". It's less than half price of the DFP and does a great job as a console wheel.

can't remember the price I paid but it was when it launched so I'd say top whack.
In comparison to the DFP the MS wheel feels really poorly made. Way too much play on the horizontal and vertical axis, not a lot of rotation range in the wheel, and overall has a cheap and nasty feel about it. I actually paid more for the MS wheel than i did for the DFP and i my opinion it is sadly lacking as a console wheel. I only wish i had tried the wheel before parting with the cash for the MS wheel.

In response to the original question, the wheel gives you better over all control than the joy pad ever will. The thing is if you have experienced a DFP wheel then go to a MS 360 wheel you will be dissappointed by the feel and range offered, i certainly was and have never really go into Forza due to frustrations of the MS wheel. I give a "£$" cause i really dont like wasting money on products that dont do the job properly.

Total misnoma offering a wheel the quality of the official MS item to be used in conjunction with a so called Racing Sim like Forza, extremely suitable for arcade type games like Burnout and Outrun but for games with Sim like handling it is not up to the task.

Just the opinion of an experienced and very capable console and PC racer
Old 16 March 2008, 10:09 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

In comparison to the DFP the MS wheel feels really poorly made. Way too much play on the horizontal and vertical axis, not a lot of rotation range in the wheel, and overall has a cheap and nasty feel about it. I actually paid more for the MS wheel than i did for the DFP and i my opinion it is sadly lacking as a console wheel. I only wish i had tried the wheel before parting with the cash for the MS wheel.
I agree with you that the DFP is a far better wheel but at the new price the MS wheel does a good enough job at a console wheel. You have to admit that the logitech wheel was aimed at the PC sim racer market when it was released. GT4 bundle was a while into it's life span.

I must be a lucky user of the wheel in that my one has less play in the mech than I have read about on various forums.

In defense of MS they had a price point to hit with the wheel and that will effect the quality of the unit. The DFP cost twice that of the MS unit when new and it shows. As before the MS wheel does the job fine for a console racer.
Old 17 March 2008, 10:32 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

I brought the M$ wheel at lauch to and paid £90, it was ok i just prefered the pad, i was also lucky enough to sell it to someone at work and recoup £50 for it.

Would advise if you buy a second hand one, make sure it comes with PGR3 as the game has the drivers for the wheel on the game disc, not sure if you need it but to be sure make sure.
Old 18 March 2008, 05:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abbott
i have 1 of these i believe i paid 90 squid for it , im selling it for 30 notes official microsoft jobbie too , there pretty good but im more into my FPS's
would you be willing to get it posted to good oul Northern Ireland?
Old 18 March 2008, 09:53 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I have the Steering Wheel which is attached to a Playseat, find it superb with Forza.
Old 19 March 2008, 01:49 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
would you be willing to get it posted to good oul Northern Ireland?
if you were to pay the postage matey no probs whatsoever ...

id only charge what it cost to post aswell no "added extras" LOL
Old 20 March 2008, 01:21 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I bought the wheel for £90 last year some time but I haven't really had time to use it yet

Done a few hours on Forza 2 and its better than using the control, but tried it on CM Dirt and it was rubbish.

I'm waiting til I can buy/make a proper seat/stand for it before using it.