Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is it me or is Vista....

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 10:04 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it me or is Vista....

...pants?

I'm currently doing 3 days a week consultancy for a firm in the midlands so they provided me with a spanking new HP with Vista Business on it. IE crashes between 8-10 times a day so I gave up with that and use Firefox but that sometimes locks up as well. I have a few other niggles, all in all it just doesnt seem that stable at all, certainly nothing like XP.

Gary
Old 04 March 2008, 10:21 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Can't say mines crashed since I've had it (Vista Home Premium). Miles more stable than XP was and I love it I can run it 24/7 for days on end with no issues. No way I'd go back to XP.

I guess its down to the quality of the hardwares drivers.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:23 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Been running Vista64 Ultimate on my laptop since Jan lat year. Not had it crash once, and IE is as stable as a rock.

Just installed Vista32 (with SP1) on my home machine, and it's definitely more stable and a lot faster than XP on the same machine.

Sounds more like the laptop you are using has dodgy drivers which are causing the instability rather than Vista itself.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:24 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

This weeekend I went back to XP after using Vista for about 6 months. Never had a crashing problem but my Creative soundcard works better in XP due to naff Creative drivers. Vista wasn't really doing anything for me that XP wasnt to be honest. Does look better and the like but the sound card was the clincher. Microsoft have recently lowered the price of vista as well IIRC
Old 04 March 2008, 10:35 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Been on Vista x64 almost a year now. Equally as stable as XP was - if not more so (considering how bad XP was before SP1). Crashes were in the region of 1 a month - if that (don't get any now).

Might have the odd wobbly when I use a hacked driver (to be expected).

Biggest issue I had was when I had some duff RAM (caused a right mess- random crashes, HD errors etc). Been stable since.

If its a new computer. Its always wise to run Microsoft Memtest and memtest86+ overnight on full test to confirm the RAM is good. Any errors - send it back.

Also check the hard disK SMART status (using something like Speedfan or a 3rd party diagnostic program) - paying attention to amount of reallocated sectors (this is a spare sector used when the drive finds a duff sector). 199 to 170 is acceptable, as long as it doesn't decrease. But if its less than 150 or is decreasing on a weekly/monthly basis, then the hard drive is duff and due for an impending failure.

Last edited by Shark Man; 04 March 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: SMART faux pas
Old 04 March 2008, 10:47 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I built my self a new PC a couple of weeks ago and installed Home Premium.

I accidentally downloaded the Heroes Season 2 torrent before installing my Virus software and contracted the Vundo viurs. My PC just kept Blue Screening when trying to scan / remove this virus. In the end I just reformatted the HD and reinstalled Vista. PC has been on 24/7 since with no issues.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:48 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

no issues with crashes on my laptop with vista, however I have put it back to xp media centre on sunday as I just prefer the way it works and xp for me has been stable as anything.
Old 04 March 2008, 11:57 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Ok first question

Is the Laptop a 6715b by any chance ?

Or does it have the ATI X1250 card in it

Been running Vista 64bit now on a HP and tbh it hasnt skipped a beat
Old 04 March 2008, 12:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 pcs's, laptop stable under Vista, occasional BSOD from the kids pc but thats not unusual, dont know what they do to it.

I prefer XP to be honest.
Old 04 March 2008, 02:13 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Just ocurred to me that vista32 can have an issue with old versions of acrobat reader - when opening a pdf in explorer.

Never had it myself, but maybe if the lappy have an old version of acrobat pre-installed, it could cause an issue.

Download the latest version - but make sure you UNCHECK the google toolbar option - don't want any spyware/junkware being installed now, do we?

(shame on adobe )
Old 04 March 2008, 04:30 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vista here no issues at all .. including gaming !!